What black mist filter for Q3?

I have a Tiffen BPM 1/8 on my Q3 and have a 1/4 for a 50mm lens. The effect has nothing to do with the sensor size but the FoV. The wider the angle the higher the filter should be to give a similar effect. The 1/4 on my 50mm can be too strong at times. The 1/8 from Tiffen on the Q3 is barely noticeable and very subtle. If you are going for a stronger look the 1/4 or even 1/2 should be fine. But ultimately it all comes down to taste.

• Thanks 1

Hi, as another option, I highly recommend taking a look at the Tiffen Glimmerglass filter series. (I use the Glimmerglass 1)

Since 2019 I have been using the Tiffen BPM 1/8 on my LQ1 and Fujifilm X100F. In late 2022, I have switched over to the Tiffen Glimmerglass 1 and have not looked back. I have been constantly using it on my Q3 starting Summer 2023.

The BPM 1/8 was too misty and dreamy for my taste, and it lowers the contrast way too much. Both filters can create that "cinematic" look with the halation effect, and I find the Glimmerglass diffusion is more subtle and maintains contrast much better. If you want lower contrast, then go for the BPM 1/8. Both are great, but with slightly different purposes.

There are quite a few video comparisons on YouTube. I like the BPM, but I love the Glimmerglass 1.

But in the end, it all depends on personal preference. Hehe. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JetBlack said:

Hi, as another option, I highly recommend taking a look at the Tiffen Glimmerglass filter series. (I use the Glimmerglass 1)

Since 2019 I have been using the Tiffen BPM 1/8 on my LQ1 and Fujifilm X100F. In late 2022, I have switched over to the Tiffen Glimmerglass 1 and have not looked back. I have been constantly using it on my Q3 starting Summer 2023.

The BPM 1/8 was too misty and dreamy for my taste, and it lowers the contrast way too much. Both filters can create that "cinematic" look with the halation effect, and I find the Glimmerglass diffusion is more subtle and maintains contrast much better. If you want lower contrast, then go for the BPM 1/8. Both are great, but with slightly different purposes.

There are quite a few video comparisons on YouTube. I like the BPM, but I love the Glimmerglass 1.

By the way, can we stack a tiffen circular polarizer onto the Tiffen bpm ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yes, you can stack as many filters as you want. the picture quality will degrade a bit, vignetting may start to appear but in theory you can stack as many filters as you want with the obvious downsides to doing so. But BPM and Polarizer won't be a problem in my experience (I've done this a couple times on my Q3 and it's fine). Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qwertynm said:

yes, you can stack as many filters as you want. the picture quality will degrade a bit, vignetting may start to appear but in theory you can stack as many filters as you want with the obvious downsides to doing so. But BPM and Polarizer won't be a problem in my experience (I've done this a couple times on my Q3 and it's fine). Hope that helps

Thanks so much for the advice. Will just do black mist and a cpl. 

• Like 1

I have a Tiffen Black Mist Filter (1/8) as permanent attachment to my Q2 and am very happy with it. Never having heard of a Glimmerglass filter I looked up a review. The reviewer (who uses 1/4) suggested the Glimmer is better during the day, the Black Mist at night. He did say it was his personal view, however, and it was a matter of personal taste in the end.

I just took a shot with either Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/8 and Tiffen GlimmerGlass 1 in broad daylight and I can't tell them apart. They do differ in how they bloom highlights tough. The Black Pro Mist draws the highlights warmer. I don't know if that is an actual property of the filter or if the AWB just sees the light cooler trough the BPM and adjusts the white balance accordingly. I haven't done proper A-B testing as I don't really care that much. I think either should be fine and give a nice look with the blooming highlights.

Edited by Qwertynm
  • Like 1

I'm using the Haida 1/4 Mist filter. Works quite good for me

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb TDE-Photo:

I'm using the Haida 1/4 Mist filter. Works quite good for me

just note that Haida is a bit stronger compared to Tiffen. I'd say the 1/8 of Haida is approximately as strong as the Tiffen 1/4. I still have the Haida filters but use the Tiffen because the Tiffen seem to be better coated and I get less reflections with them. my 2 cents

10 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

I just took a shot with either Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/8 and Tiffen GlimmerGlass 1 in broad daylight and I can't tell them apart. They do differ in how they bloom highlights tough. The Black Pro Mist draws the highlights warmer. I don't know if that is an actual property of the filter or if the AWB just sees the light cooler trough the BPM and adjusts the white balance accordingly. I haven't done proper A-B testing as I don't really care that much. I think either should be fine and give a nice look with the blooming highlights.

I watched a video on YouTube and the guy is comparing the water repellent of the tiffen bpm & k&F bm. 
‘So do u observe this on the Tiffen? Thanks. 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb My1stLeicaCam:

‘So do u observe this on the Tiffen? Thanks. 

thanks for the video link. has to be one of the best, most thorough videos I've seen on mist filters. It never occurred to me to spray water on my filters as I generally don't shoot in that kind of weather. If it's raining sideways I'm not sure I'd have the Q3 out the whole day and never wipe it down anyway. But if that is a concern to you, then I'd go with the better coated filters. better buy once, cry once than second guess your purchase every time you go out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 4:33 AM, JetBlack said:

Hi There @JetBlack

Thanks for the info on Glimmerglass 1 here .  How do you find the strength ?  I was surprised to read a review lately saying that the GlimmerGlass 1/4 is great for contributing to an analogue look ..    but considering Strength 1 already seems weaker than BMP 1/8, I would have expected Glimmerglass at 1/4 strength to be almost non-existent effect.

I know this is personal but what do you think based on your use of #1 strength ?

I should add that I'm not really looking for a very obvious 'effect' baked into the RAW file as such, just something to take the edge off digital and hopefully a slightly more 'filmic' starting point for post production.  

Edited by grahamc

Hello there! @grahamc Unfortunately, I do not see many Glimmerglass series strength comparisons in different scenarios on YouTube. I mostly see BPM vs Glimmerglass and others.

I hope the first video helps. A brief video comparing all the Glimmerglass filters, beginning with 1/4 strength.

The second video I just found specifically compares the Black Pro Mist 1/8, Glimmerglass 1, and two other filters in somewhat different scenes. I would skip straight to the results for each of the three comparison tests.

To answer your question:

I went with the Glimmerglass 1 because the blooms and halation were similar to the BPM 1/8, which I really liked. BUT I did not like how the BPM 1/8 lowered the contrast in my images, which led me towards the Glimmerglass route.

52 minutes ago, JetBlack said:

Hello there! @grahamc Unfortunately, I do not see many Glimmerglass series strength comparisons in different scenarios on YouTube. I mostly see BPM vs Glimmerglass and others.

I hope the first video helps. A brief video comparing all the Glimmerglass filters, beginning with 1/4 strength.

The second video I just found specifically compares the Black Pro Mist 1/8, Glimmerglass 1, and two other filters in somewhat different scenes. I would skip straight to the results for each of the three comparison tests.

To answer your question:

I went with the Glimmerglass 1 because the blooms and halation were similar to the BPM 1/8, which I really liked. BUT I did not like how the BPM 1/8 lowered the contrast in my images, which led me towards the Glimmerglass route

Thanks alot for the info and for the vids - particularly the second one is a great real world comparison - I liked the GG and the BPM best in all of the blind tests, so getting somewhere !  Cheers again 

• Like 1