Q2 Manual Focus via FOTOS 'Remote' control

Phil1066

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hope someone can help explain how this works. Basically what I want to do is (pre) zone focus via the lens controls - then just trigger the shutter using the Remote function in the App. 

But it seems like manual focus is over-ridden by the Remote function in the App, and all it wants to do is focus before allowing the shutter to release....

I did raise a ticket inside the app as I just couldnt work out how to do it the way I wanted phew.

• 2 weeks later...

I may not have understood the OP. Are you saying that if the lens is put into manual focus the app overrides it (I struggle to believe that)? Or that the app will not allow you to take a photo unless the camera is in autofocus? I have never used the app.

No idea either as to what you are looking to photograph but would manual focus and the camera self timer work for you?

I have no issues with manual focus on my Q2

14 hours ago, Marc B-C said:

I may not have understood the OP. Are you saying that if the lens is put into manual focus the app overrides it (I struggle to believe that)? Or that the app will not allow you to take a photo unless the camera is in autofocus? I have never used the app.

No idea either as to what you are looking to photograph but would manual focus and the camera self timer work for you?

I have no issues with manual focus on my Q2. 

I just double checked again 🙂 what I want to be able to do is have manual control on focus on the camera, but use the Fotos App to trigger the shutter. 

if I try and do that, after pre focusing using the lens, when I use the Apps shutter button, it refocuses and takes the photo. 

the App overrides the manual function of the lens, in my tests. :-)

• Like 1

@Phil1066 you may want to double check the lens is being set to manual focus properly. I could easily be wrong but if the lens is set to manual focus it surely must decouple the motor and the app cannot therefore force it to refocus. As I do not use the app I cannot check. Perhaps someone else can confirm. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey 👋,

I just checked it. I can make any adjustments to the lens even put it out of focus. When I hit the exposure button on the app it makes the unshared image. 

But the app calculates the be image if you prefocus, or focus. You get a rotating circle that at the end stops and you are free to shoot. 

Note that you can also always shoot with the camera too (shutter button on the camera) , so you can use the app or iPhone as a bigger screen. 

I used this for run and gun shots. 

So no, I can’t reproduce your problem. 

which firmware are you on ? 
are we speaking of the q3 ? 

cheers Peter 

11 hours ago, Pelu2010 said:

Hey 👋,

I just checked it. I can make any adjustments to the lens even put it out of focus. When I hit the exposure button on the app it makes the unshared image. 

But the app calculates the be image if you prefocus, or focus. You get a rotating circle that at the end stops and you are free to shoot. 

Note that you can also always shoot with the camera too (shutter button on the camera) , so you can use the app or iPhone as a bigger screen. 

I used this for run and gun shots. 

So no, I can’t reproduce your problem. 

which firmware are you on ? 
are we speaking of the q3 ? 

cheers Peter 

Thanks Peter - this is Q2 and on the latest Firmware :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:13 AM, Phil1066 said:

I just double checked again 🙂 what I want to be able to do is have manual control on focus on the camera, but use the Fotos App to trigger the shutter. 

if I try and do that, after pre focusing using the lens, when I use the Apps shutter button, it refocuses and takes the photo. 

the App overrides the manual function of the lens, in my tests. :-)

I'm  having the same problem as you. Dis you came up with a solution?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosse said:

I'm  having the same problem as you. Dis you came up with a solution?

No solution unless Leica fixes this. Suggest you report a Bug or Feature request inside the FOTOS app itself - that may help.

32 minutes ago, Phil1066 said:

No solution unless Leica fixes this. Suggest you report a Bug or Feature request inside the FOTOS app itself - that may help.

What a bummer. I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1