LEICA S2

Khaled Grafi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Amazing Leica Photographers and friends.
I am seeking help for advice as I am new to Leica system.
1. My Leica S2, recently I realized the caused of the dots appear on my photo when use aperture F56-F11, not visible when use F3.5 till 2.5.
Leica Singapore (nearest as I am in Indonesia) said that Germany has no sensor stock. Later someone recommend me an Independant Camera Repair Service in Singapore who can do ;SENSOR FILTER REPLACEMENT' for SGD$3500.
I dont know what that means. The sensor inside S2 i think is it Kodak or Cmos sensor? So if i decide to take the offer for sensor filter replacement, what is the expectancy of my sensor? and if i would have a completely new sensor replace, will that affect the megapixel? I dont know if its worth it to have this sensor replcaed?
2. Leica S2 do not have shutter expectancy nor shutter count check. What will happen next when shutter count exceeds? Do any Camrea Repair Service has shutter replacement spare parts for Leica Medium Format? Maybe they keep stock of other medium format which have the same size as the S2 shuuter? I would appreciate any advice please so that at least i know whether its worth sending the S2 for this repair which cost $3500.

There is experience with cover glass replacements on the M9. Parse the relevant threads in the M9 forum. 
The shutter has no fixed expiration number. It can fail at shot #2 or at shot # 1.000.000.  The expected shutter count that you find published for some cameras is an average expectation. Most cameras will exceed this number by a very wide margin  I would not worry about this number which is probably in the order of 300.000 

3 hours ago, Khaled Grafi said:

The sensor inside S2 i think is it Kodak or Cmos sensor? So if i decide to take the offer for sensor filter replacement, what is the expectancy of my sensor? and if i would have a completely new sensor replace, will that affect the megapixel? I dont know if its worth it to have this sensor replcaed?

It's a CCD sensor that was made by Kodak (Kodak later sold their sensor division). The problem with that generation of sensors is that you can get corrosion between the sensor and its glass cover.

You have 3 options:

1. Have Leica replace the sensor. As Hans-Dieter suggests, you'll want to confirm with Leica directly, even if your local importer says they no longer replace the S2 sensor.
  2. Have someone else try and fix the sensor. I think that SGD$3500 is very close to what Leica charged for a new sensor.
  3. Find a different S body that has already had its sensor replaced (S2, S-006, S-E), or is newer and isn't subject to sensor issues (S-007, S3).

I wouldn't worry too much about shutter life. It's a professional camera with a very durable shutter, plus I'm sure that Leica can still fix that part of the camera.