S30 or 45

GMB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As written elsewhere, S lenses are currently heavily discounted. Many are available new for less than 50% list price, including the 30 and 45, the only 2 focal length I don’t own in the S line up. 

So I think about getting one or both. But as I also own the 30-90 zoom (currently at Leica for a repair), I wonder whether that really makes sense. For the 30, I definitely don’t need something faster than the zoom as I would use it mainly for landscape. The 45 might be different though. 

GMB,

You may have answered your own question on the S 30 albeit more highly resolving at the edges and corners than the S 30-90.  I found the 30-90 to be excellent when I finally got Leica to tweak the lens several times when it first came one scene years ago.  Some complain about the barrel creep, but that can be adjusted by Leica to be more tight to stop the creep.  I found the 30-90 to be more of a lens of convenience.  The S30 and S45 primes are in leagues of their own.  These two lenses were my most used S lenses behind the S24 for landscapes.  IMO, all the S lenses are stellar, render in a very unique way, yet are built to last.  The S4 will take the original S lenses and of course you can use them on the SL system too.   Here are some links that might help you decide what is best for you, rather than getting perhaps biased impressions from photographers such as myself.  r/ Mark

Try:  S30  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=353&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

Try:  S45  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=365&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

Try:  S24  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=342&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, GMB said:

As written elsewhere, S lenses are currently heavily discounted. Many are available new for less than 50% list price, including the 30 and 45, the only 2 focal length I don’t own in the S line up. 

So I think about getting one or both. But as I also own the 30-90 zoom (currently at Leica for a repair), I wonder whether that really makes sense. For the 30, I definitely don’t need something faster than the zoom as I would use it mainly for landscape. The 45 might be different though. 

In my experience, the 30-90mm was best at the wide end, though still fine at 45mm. Personally, I would get the 45mm if I were to get one. It is the sharpest lens in the system, after the 120mm, in my experience. I also think 45mm is a more useful focal length than 30mm, but that will depend on your photography I guess. I suspect the 45mm will hold up very well on the higher resolution S4 (or at least I assume it will be higher resolution). It was still very good on the S3. The 30-90mm might struggle to keep up, particularly in the edges at the longer focal lengths.

• Like 1

The 30mm has been an excellent lens for me doing landscape work, it has the typical characteristics of all S lenses.  The 45mm is a lens that I have wished to add to my lens lineup, it would be versatile as a normal adapted SL lens or could be used as is on the S system, there is quite a gap between my 30 and 70mm.  As the OP mentions the prices are tempting, and if there is a repeat of the R system this could be a good time to purchase these beautiful lenses for less than the cost of manufacture (speculation on my part).  I wish there would be more pathways other than the SL system for adaptation, Hasselblad or Fuji would be ideal as they are aggressively moving medium format forward.  

13 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

I found the 30-90 to be excellent when I finally got Leica to tweak the lens several times when it first came one scene years ago.

How were you able to have Leica tweak the lens?   Mechanically?  Optically?  In my attempts to improve a subpar optical performance Leica would simply return the lens saying it was within specifications.     

Hi GMB,

I bought the 45mm second hand a couple of weeks ago. To start having a system for me the equivalent of 35mm in Leica S format was essential. I have to say the first approach wasn't the best...a little too big for a lens that I usually consider portable in other brands. But then I saw the results. And it was a confirmation of the fact that Leica S even purchased at the end of 2023 is anything but foolish.

Ciro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darylgo,   I got my copy of the S 30-90 when it first came out.  My copy was decentered on the initial trip, it came back but was still not right.  I sent example photographs along with the lens.  It went back again with more photographs, that trip fixed the issue.  The next trip it went back for lens creep.  When the lens is carried pointing down over a period of time, the zoom ring would slowly extend the lens.  That was the "braking" mechanism that needed adjustment.  Leica can tighten the zoom ring so it doesn't creep when carried point down.  The SL 24-90 can develop the same issue and it too can be adjusted to stop the creep.  Over time, if carried often pointed down, the creep will return with the lens getting a trip to Wetzlar for adjustment.  Other than that, both lenses are most excellent.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. As Marc noted, I somehow answered my own question as regards the 30 mm.  Now checking out for a 45. But I don't exclude the 30 mm either. I kind of like the drama of a 24 mm FF equivalent.

Attached a photo with the S007 and the 70 mm from Chiloe island, Chile.

• Like 4

No experience on either, but I found proper focal length is much more important than the relative sharpness. Personally I also do not like wider than the 24mm or wider equivalent focal length, particularly when it involves architecture. I have to be very square in the camera position, otherwise the horizontal and vertical lines looks weird to me.

So, the s45 would be more flexible. S30 is likely to require strong taste on wide angle.

another 45mm

Edited by cirofrankschiappa
  • Like 2

+1 for the 45 ;)

I find it a little big but very nice rendering and allows you some more shallow DOF than the zoom.

Personally I prefer the 35 though because of it smaller size.

If you already own a 35...maybe you don't need either 30/45 ;)

For me 30mm(equivalent FF 24) is a little odd focal length, I prefer either 21 or 28 (in FF).

I found the 30 very intentional and the 35 and 45 easy to use.  The 45 is like a 35mm in standard full frame format, which may be why it is probably my most used lens.  I love the field of view of the 45mm and it is wide but not too wide.

Somewhere about 70% of my coastal shots are with the 45.  So thats my 2-cents!

• Like 1