Q2/Q3 external battery power adapter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In order to have bigger battery capacity, without getting further original batteries, a possible solution could be a "battery adapter" similar to what is available for other camera (i.e. Nikon EP-5A https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/power-packs/ep-5a-power-supply-connector.html).

That's a fake battery which can be connected to an external surce (i.e. power bank), avoding to stress the USB-C port (Q3 case). I know that leica does not produce such kind of things, but maybe a 3rd party could exist, but I did not find one. Maybe I was just not lucky (or smart) to find them.

Does anybody ever heard of such thing? (which could be useful both for the Q2 and the Q3)

Thanks!

Den

13 hours ago, Denebola said:

In order to have bigger battery capacity, without getting further original batteries, a possible solution could be a "battery adapter" similar to what is available for other camera (i.e. Nikon EP-5A https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/power-packs/ep-5a-power-supply-connector.html).

That's a fake battery which can be connected to an external surce (i.e. power bank), avoding to stress the USB-C port (Q3 case). I know that leica does not produce such kind of things, but maybe a 3rd party could exist, but I did not find one. Maybe I was just not lucky (or smart) to find them.

Does anybody ever heard of such thing? (which could be useful both for the Q2 and the Q3)

Thanks!

Den

Can’t see it happening.

The whole philosophy behind the Q series is a compact carry camera …the ‘less is more’ concept.  

• Like 1

You can hook up a PD powerbank trough usb-c and use the camera that way. But as Bob mentioned it’s not the Qs intended purpose and obviously not ideal. I charge my Q3 with the powerbank when on the go. I disconnect it when I want to shoot and hook it back up once the camera goes back into the bag. That works for me and gives me all day battery life for all devices I carry. 

@bobtodrick: I agree with you, that probably is the Leica view. But 3rd parties could think differently and build that sort of thing. In fact I was searchng mode for 3rd party product (Leica does not have it)

@Qwertynm  I was thinking too to a solution like this (and I'm very happy that someone else already tried it: thanks for letting me know!). My only concern is about the possible wear of the USB-C door (I suspect that the replacement would be quite costly...) as well as an excessive stress on the USB-C port: the battery does not have doors and a cable which comes out form it's bottom I think should give much less stress to the structure (yes, I might be worrying too much).

17 hours ago, Denebola said:

@bobtodrick: I agree with you, that probably is the Leica view. But 3rd parties could think differently and build that sort of thing. In fact I was searchng mode for 3rd party product (Leica does not have it)

@Qwertynm

Third parties are usually in business making less expensive alternatives to OEM products, or luxury versions.

This isn’t an in demand product, which is why Leica doesn’t offer it (might be something SL2 owners would be interested in).

Third party suppliers don’t usually make stuff that they aren’t going to sell in volume.

As others have mentioned…carry a spare battery is the easy option.