Has anyone used Hasselblad V/C/CF lenses on their Leica R body?

smcmason

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have some Hasselblad glass that I enjoy using on my GFX 100. I just noticed that there is a Hasselblad V to Leica R adapter available at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1677775-REG/fotodiox_hbv_lr_pro_pro_lens_mount_adapter.html

Thinking about giving it a shot. Don't see any actual reviews anywhere, though. I have been down the Adaptall system rabbit hole before as a fun experiment, but this seems genuinely exciting. Might even make the R8 feel well balanced with MF glass hanging off the front! :)

Why not?   I have a phalanx of Pentacon 6 mount CZJ lenses.  I've been looking for a P-6 to R adapter.  Apparently K&F made one in the past but they're all sold out and I can't seem to locate one anywhere.

@AZN respectfully, I have not found that to be the case whatsoever. I'm actually stunned how well my Hasselblad CF lenses perform on my 102mp sensor. Here is a 200% crop taken on my GFX 100 with the Hasselblad CF 250 vs the same crop on my GF 250mm (both SOOC): https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/9034ec749de14dc383957ff8a4a6aad7 

(not to mention that this discussion is about using them with 35mm film cameras)

Edited by smcmason
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, smcmason said:

@hepcat why not, indeed. I did order the adapter and look forward to giving it a workout. Is this the Pentacon adapter you're looking for?

YES!!!  Thank you! I wonder if they ship to the US?  I can't find one here anywhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smcmason said:

(not to mention that this discussion is about using them with 35mm film cameras)

Which my answer indirectly addressed → mounted it onto a full-frame 36x24mm chip digital camera.

Had a look at your samples.  Indeed they appear reasonably sharp.  Now point the lens at something bright (eg sun) and see how much it flares, which I tracked down to stray light bouncing around inside the (inexpensive) lens mount. Relatively easy to solve though by lining the interior with black velvet.

But… to each their own.  Enjoy your experiments.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:56 AM, smcmason said:

@hepcat why not, indeed. I did order the adapter and look forward to giving it a workout. Is this the Pentacon adapter you're looking for?

They replied... 25GBP for shipping.    That's steep, but if they hold the last cache of them in the world, I reckon that's what I'll need to do.  I have a full set of R lenses though, as well as a P6 to L adapter, so it's not critical. 

Edited by hepcat

12 minutes ago, hepcat said:

They replied... 25GBP for shipping.    That's steep, but if they hold the last cache of them in the world, I reckon that's what I'll need to do.

Maybe not a screaming bargain, but certainly a win, I think! I hope you are happy with the results. 

• Like 1

Am 5.11.2023 um 19:42 schrieb smcmason:

@AZN respectfully, I have not found that to be the case whatsoever. I'm actually stunned how well my Hasselblad CF lenses perform on my 102mp sensor. Here is a 200% crop taken on my GFX 100 with the Hasselblad CF 250 vs the same crop on my GF 250mm (both SOOC): https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/9034ec749de14dc383957ff8a4a6aad7 

In my experience all of my Hasselblad CF(i) lenses perform excellently on my Canon 5D4. Particularly the combo of the Makro-Planar 120 on a macro bellow mounted on the Canon is very impressive indeed. Possibly the Sony sensor is not well suited to other than Sony lenses ( see the poor performance of excellent M-glass on Sony ) due to the sensor properties-but:  The myth about sensors outperforming lenses or vice versa has been deflated sufficiently elsewhere so no need to repeat this here. 

• Like 1