J. Lizar Glasgow engraving on back of 1936 ii top cover

Skota

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

I saw this engraving on the back of a ii and was curious if anyone know's why. I looked up the name and it was a camera company in the 1830's but why would it be engraved on a Leica in the 1930's?

Thank you,

Steve

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andybarton
Typos corrected

• andybarton changed the title to J. Lizar Glasgow engraving on back of 1936 ii top cover

J. Lizars was founded in 1830 by optician James Lizars (1810-1879).

They sold Leica cameras in the 1930's and commonly engraved their name on the cameras as did Leica dealers in England and Ireland.

They are still in existence to this day in Glasgow as opticians only and have merged with another company.

Now called Black & Lizars

Your black paint Leica II serial number 199702 was part of a batch of 200 cameras (199601 - 199800) produced in 1936

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I've seen a few Lizars engraved Leica's appear on the auction site and from dealers. I think that if you search you may find a thread on engraved Leicas and in the past some dealers/distributers seem to have been keen to make their role in selling such a camera permanent with engravings, stickers or bedges fixed to the cameras they sold. In the early day's of photography it was not uncommon for dealers/distributers to engrave their names on lenses and cameras and some even added their own serial number even on used lenses! I rather like the idea as it provides some history and context for a camera/lens; I have a number of Victorian lenses engraved with the London dealer's name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgk said:

I've seen a few Lizars engraved Leica's appear on the auction site and from dealers. I think that if you search you may find a thread on engraved Leicas and in the past some dealers/distributers seem to have been keen to make their role in selling such a camera permanent with engravings, stickers or bedges fixed to the cameras they sold. In the early day's of photography it was not uncommon for dealers/distributers to engrave their names on lenses and cameras and some even added their own serial number even on used lenses! I rather like the idea as it provides some history and context for a camera/lens; I have a number of Victorian lenses engraved with the London dealer's name.

Lizars often put their plate on cameras such as this (probably Italian made) Falling Plate 'Detective' camera, which is in my collection. I bought it because of the Belfast connection. I actually found a developed glass plate in this one showing a house decorated for the 25th anniversary of King George V in 1935. 

Lizars also produced their own Challenge line of cameras such as this one which I came across recently in a camera collection which I am cataloguing. It is one of the later models with a Bausch and Lomb type shutter; earlier ones have Thornton Pickard shutters. Unfortunately, as the second photo shows, the camera has suffered some damage, but the shutter is actually working.

William 

• Like 2

Lizars were also the main outlet for Leica cameras and binoculars with notable premises in Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, until at least the mid 1980's. They were (and remain?) a VERY highly respected firm. To own a camera which has the company name engraved upon it is interesting in an historical sense in much the same way that, for example, 'Tiranty' engraved (Parisian) Leicas attract more attention than more traditional fare.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

another example of a beautiful Lizars camera.

• Like 2