Leica Limited edition battle (M6 TTL Millennium, M6 Oresundsbron, M7 Titan set)

Dirimpettaio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone :)

I am a very happy owner of an M10 + 28 Summicron ASPH
(and many other cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Hasselblad, etc...)

Since I will soon become a father, I would like to buy a limited edition Leica to gift it to my son one day when he's old enough to appreciate its craftsmanship.
I am torn between these three limited editions:

- Leica M6 TTL black paint Millennium Edition

- Leica M6 black paint Oresundsbron Edition

- Leica M7 titanium set "50 YEARS LEICA M SYSTEM" 

Which one do you recommend? Which of these would you like to receive in 18 years?
Don't look at the economic or speculative aspect, I'd like an opinion on what you would like to receive :) 
Your advice is very helpful... ❤️ 
Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 minutes ago, williamgm said:

It also assumes film will still be available in 18+ years time.

I believe that film will never die, especially BW ones. Despite the advent of digital photography and modern technologies, there's something inherently captivating and unique about film, especially in black and white. This medium possesses a tangible quality and grain that digital struggles to replicate. Many people appreciate the nostalgic feeling and the craftsmanship that comes from working with film. Moreover, the techniques and processes used in developing black and white film have become an art form in themselves.

• Like 1

You should time your next child for the centenary of the Leica I in 2025 - there's bound to be a special edition! 🙂

Not sure I'd pick an M7 as a family heirloom. As Leica's only experiment in electronically controlled film Ms, technology they abandoned 5 years ago, I suspect it won't be serviceable 18 years from now. Even replacement meters for the M6 Classic and TTL are no longer available (though that might change in the future, as Leica are apparently working on it). If I wanted to do something like this, I think I'd be more inclined to buy an ordinary production camera from the child's birth year, or maybe an older classic camera in nice condition (an M3 or IIIf from 1954 would be the age of someone born in 2024 + 70).

Edited by Anbaric
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anbaric said:

You should time your next child for the centenary of the Leica I in 2025 - there's bound to be a special edition! 🙂

Not sure I'd pick an M7 as a family heirloom. As Leica's only experiment in electronically controlled film Ms, technology they abandoned 5 years ago, I suspect it won't be serviceable 18 years from now. Even replacement meters for the M6 Classic and TTL are no longer available (though that might change in the future, as Leica are apparently working on it). If I wanted to do something like this, I think I'd be more inclined to buy an ordinary production camera from the child's birth year, or maybe an older classic camera in nice condition (an M3 or IIIf from 1954 would be the age of someone born in 2024 + 70).

Your POV are very valid and wise.
Could you kindly tell me between Millennium Edition and Oresundsbron Edition which one you prefer?

Many thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Dirimpettaio said:

Could you kindly tell me between Millennium Edition and Oresundsbron Edition which one you prefer?

Personally? I suppose the Millenium is more interesting, because it's a bit unusual (big dial, but MP-style wind and rewind). The Oresundsbron only seems cosmetically different to a regular TTL (well, I suppose it must have a brass top plate) and I have no particular feelings about a bridge I've never travelled on! If it were actually to be used (perhaps unlikely with this sort of collectable!) I'm not mad on the 0.85 finder of the latter, though the modern wind and rewind are more practical. Both I think are very expensive for what they are - not so long ago, there was little (if any) premium on the Oresundsbron over the regular model, but now it goes for several times its price. This is all about the whim of collectors, who have latched on to black paint in particular as a highly desirable feature for cameras that don't normally have it. Who knows what will happen to their price in the future, or which will finish up as the most desirable model? Bear in mind that you could also buy a current M6 2022 or an MP and a set of world class lenses for the current price of one of the limited edition bodies...

Edited by Anbaric
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Personally? I suppose the Millenium is more interesting, because it's a bit unusual (big dial, but MP-style wind and rewind). The Oresundsbron only seems cosmetically different to a regular TTL (well, I suppose it must have a brass top plate) and I have no particular feelings about a bridge I've never travelled on! If it were actually to be used (perhaps unlikely with this sort of collectable!) I'm not mad on the 0.85 finder of the latter, though the modern wind and rewind are more practical. Both I think are very expensive for what they are - not so long ago, there was little (if any) premium on the Oresundsbron over the regular model, but now it goes for several times its price. This is all about the whim of collectors, who have latched on to black paint in particular as a highly desirable feature for cameras that don't normally have it. Who knows what will happen to their price in the future, or which will finish up as the most desirable model? Bear in mind that you could also buy a current M6 2022 or an MP and a set of world class lenses for the current price of one of the limited edition bodies...

Thank you very much, your comment was greatly appreciated and I will take it into consideration for the choice. I also wouldn't mind a MP black lacqued, maybe with a Noctilux lens...

If you book to have it serviced by Leica now then in eighteen years time you may have got to the head of the queue. 

Whichever you choose you would be better buying it for yourself and use the camera for eighteen years before passing it on to your son, daughter, or non-binary offspring because a camera kept in a box for that long will most likely need some fresh grease as soon as the box is opened.

30 minutes ago, 250swb said:

If you book to have it serviced by Leica now then in eighteen years time you may have got to the head of the queue. 

Whichever you choose you would be better buying it for yourself and use the camera for eighteen years before passing it on to your son, daughter, or non-binary offspring because a camera kept in a box for that long will most likely need some fresh grease as soon as the box is opened.

Even when using it, it would need servicing from time to time, so there's really no difference.
If I were to choose the MP, I'd use it, especially with the Noctilux that I could mount on my M10. If I were to get a limited edition set, honestly, I'd shoot at most one roll, and then I'd guard it jealously."

3 hours ago, Dirimpettaio said:

Even when using it, it would need servicing from time to time, so there's really no difference.
If I were to choose the MP, I'd use it, especially with the Noctilux that I could mount on my M10. If I were to get a limited edition set, honestly, I'd shoot at most one roll, and then I'd guard it jealously."

Hopefully it wouldn't need servicing, there is no reason it couldn't go for twenty or more years without needing a service, and it's a myth that Leica's should be serviced or need servicing on a regular basis. The grease degrades and components stiffen if they aren't used.

• Thanks 1