Oil on the aperture blades

keithd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all I have what appears to be oil on 2-3 blades of my summilux 35mm is this something that needs to be addressed by Leica ? It does not seem  to be causing any issues at this stage but do not want it to become one. I am heading up to Sydney this week and can drop in to the Leica store but not sure if they do repairs there. Any advise would be appreciated.

manny thanks keith

Thanks Vail unfortunately I live in a rural country town in Australia. I have used Paul Lee Sydney  Camera Repairs to repair one of my film cameras ( mamiya 7 11 )  that had a swim in the ocean long story but happy ending but he is very slow 12 months. I am heading to Sydney this week so will call in to the Leica store and see what they say once again thanks for your response 

cheers keith

Oil on aperture blades was mainly a problem for SLR lenses with automatic diaphragms, where a substance on the blades could slow down their "instant" action. The other potential issue that could be a concern is that excess oil within the lens might migrate oil vapor to the lens element surfaces, causing haze over time.

I also recall one lens manufacturer saying that diaphragm blades may have a solid lubricant coating, that may polish to shiny areas with use. Not sure about modern Leica lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keithd said:

Thanks Vail unfortunately I live in a rural country town in Australia. I have used Paul Lee Sydney  Camera Repairs to repair one of my film cameras ( mamiya 7 11 )  that had a swim in the ocean long story but happy ending but he is very slow 12 months. I am heading to Sydney this week so will call in to the Leica store and see what they say once again thanks for your response 

cheers keith

Keith if you would like to send it independently to be cleaned or serviced then 'Imaging By Design' in Melbourne are the authorised Leica repair centre for Australia.  i.e. That's where your lens would end up if a Leica store take care of it for you.    

They are in Melbourne, current turnaround time for work is 8-10 weeks as they are busy.  

(No affiliation I just like their work).  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about a little oil on the lens blades unless you are planning to sell the lens, where it might affect the resale price.

Just use it and when you have any other problems with it, send it in to Leica for a full service. The lens will probably be sent back to Germany.

On 9/6/2023 at 2:56 PM, TomB_tx said:

I also recall one lens manufacturer saying that diaphragm blades may have a solid lubricant coating, that may polish to shiny areas with use. Not sure about modern Leica lenses.

I want to reinforce Tom's message.

It is "naïve engineering" to assume that a shiny surface on aperture blades is oil. Or any other lubricant.

The matte black paint can "polish" to a shine with use, as the blades rub against each other. All by itself.

"Only your hairdresser service technician will know for sure." ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies I have dropped lens off to Paul Lee at Sydney Camera Repairs he has worked on some of my other gear he saved my mamiya 7 after it had a little swim in the ocean long story but a happy outcome

will update when I hear back from Paul he is just a bit slow but knows his stuff

Adan I don’t think I would trust Paul to cut my hair 😀

• Haha 1