Leica m24 12026 Viewfinder Fungus?

SOHODE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up this very clean 24mm 12026 for a very good price from someone on FB market today. It looked perfect at the first look but when I got home and looked closely in the light I saw the fungus-like thing in the inner side of the front glass. It looks like water traces. I think it’s fungus. Do you think it’s ok to use it with my camera and lenses? Can fungus transmit to the other lenses?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

10 hours UV light would do the job? :)  I read UV light doesn’t pass through glass though. Is it still effective for the inside the glass? It also seems to be possible to unscrew and clean the glass with some hydrogen peroxide. Not sure how easy it would be though. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

UV does pass through glass.  Otherwise a UV filter would make no sense. 

I have a germicidal UV cabinet. After researching I decided 24-48 hours of UV exposure at 2-3 inches distance would be enough to pass through the elements in a lens or finder. The distance between lamp and affected glass is also important. Less or more distance can change the exposure time. After exposure I’m going to wipe all over it with isopropyl since hydrogen peroxide can damage the coating. 
After all I’m still not fully convinced it’s gonna be fungus free.

I might try to disassemble the finder and clean and UV expose inside of it. There are two screws to open the finder but I’m not sure if it’s also glued like old Leica finders or opening the screws does the job. 

Edited by SOHODE