Dual Range vs. Rigid — weight/ergonomics

downtowndan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I’m looking for anyone who has handled a Rigid 50 (either version) and also a dual range and can give me either their impressions or empirical evidence about the weight, size, and ergonomics of the rigid models (which I’ve never handled) vs. the DR (which I regularly use).  

The Dual Range is probably my favorite 50  in terms of rendering and actual results.  But, I often leave it behind because of ergonomics.

I frequently work the street, and rely heavily on the focus tab to nab shots without the rangefinder.  The DR’s lack of a focus tab stops me from nailing focus outside my preset zone, especially around sunset where DOF is a real issue.

Also, the DR can be a bit unwieldy in terms of both weight and length.  It’s not terrible on an M3, but on an M4 it unbalances the camera and pitches it a bit far forward, especially with a hood attached.

For those of you who have or use both, can you offer your thoughts on the difference in weight/size between the Rigid and DR?  Does the rigid balance better on an M3/M4?  Is it any shorter in terms of extension from the body?  How much of a weight difference (no goggles)?  Is the weight difference between the v1 and v2 rigid significant?  I know K Rockwell has the weights posted on his site, but he doesn’t specify a version of the rigid, and my scales have disagreed with his before.  

It sounds crazy, but 100g really can make a huge  difference.  I’m not in a spot where I can just go out and buy a rigid and flip it back if I don’t use it.  Film and paper are both damn high and living in Manhattan ain’t exactly a bargain either.  I would have to sell some other glass or bodies to get a rigid 50, so would like some advice before I make the jump. 

I've had several DR 50's over the years, including a late one only 100 or so from the end of the production run.  Suppose if I was a 50 guy, I'd still have one, but even w/o googles they're heavy lenses.  Never found the macro too useful, either because I rarely had the googles with me or it's not really close enough for true macro, but some mid-ground.  But that's just how I shoot, more of a 35 guy.  Haven't used the rigid, but reason I always get rid of the DR is because of lack of use, and that due to weight and focal length preference.  It is, however, one of the classic Leica optics, which everyone should try at least once.  If you love how it renders, you don't worry about the weight.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

I use them for many decades on many Ms, M2/3/4/5/6, MP and M-A.

I use a couple of each Summicron as the rendering is the same, in general so quite regular.

with many Ms, the balance of the two is quite similar, when I use hood like 12585/12538.

They are same length, my "II" 1962's copy weight 251g while the DR of 1960 heavier 304g, no caps.

At first the infinity lock of "II" bothered me, but with time I saw this as nice feature, lock at infinity or in it's "stop state/not locked" handy for f/5.6 and up use.

Wider "II" focus ring & "perceived" shorter travel is better "handling" than DR.

Edited by a.noctilux