Leica M 35 1.4 // SL2

Mak67

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Trying to find the best option for manual focusing on SL2  ... How is the 35 asph M running on the SL2  ?

my other option are Zeiss 35/1.4 or voigt 35/2 APO , any other idea is welcome :) (no AF lenses)

I need a good performer (good center @P0 and good corner sharpness @5.6) , with good out of focus rendering, and no CA or very very little.
Ps : i have the 16-35 and 24-90 when autofocus ou zooming is needed ... i had the 35apoSL (very good) but i don't like the manual focusing experience with the SL lenses, and a bit too big. 

Thanks

Manual focus on the SL cameras works the same with the 35M as any other M lens of similar focal length. It’s quicker for me on an M body using the RF.

I am finding I don’t enjoy the results with my 35M ASPH as much since moving to SL lenses. The image quality feels like a slight let down at times after shooting better lenses and I like the native lens shooting experience more on the SL and SL2S. 

• Thanks 1

M lenses on the SL are great - you can get very good focus very quickly using the large EVF, way bigger than a rangefinder patch, plus you of course get exposure preview. And you can use the back button to zoom in for critical focus, something you can't do on the rangefinder/M (unless you use the expensive, inferior optional EVF).

I use a blend of M and SL lenses on my SL2, just depends on what mood I'm in or what the job is. It's all fun

Edited by trickness
  • Like 6

Maybe a question for another thread about SL2/SL2s but has Adobe released lens profiles for the APO SL lenses? In my Lightroom Classic there are no profiles for SL Lenses. I do however add the lens in LR settings Presets and add camera profile and set as "Camera Settings" but still there are no SL lenses available in the drop down box for auto or manual lens correction selections? 

The loaner camera and lens is short of an update being only at 3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

I have the Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar, albeit on an M10M. I wonder if its longer (more telecentric) design might work quite well on an SL, both in terms of balance on the larger SL camera body but also image quality in terms of reducing the probs of edge smearing.

The 35 APO was also released for Sony. I bet the engineering team at Voigtlander designed it from the start to work on different sensor stacks. 

The 35 Summilux M 1.4 changed  my life :) :) Really, its use wide open for street shots using the SL/SL2s with electronic shutter prof=duces vey amazing result. Background detail usually over exposed in sunlight are contained somehow within a brighter glow but not clipped. The foreground shaded areas and subject are very workable and tack sharp.

I dont know why I took so long to buy this lens but I always did want it. From a user who only recently purchased and and used this lens on the street, I can't recommend it more highly. I bought the older version with out close focus and built in hood.  It does have some chromatic aberration going on but I can live and work with that.

Ken  

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 1:27 PM, Ken Abrahams said:

The 35 Summilux M 1.4 changed  my life :) :) Really, its use wide open for street shots using the SL/SL2s with electronic shutter prof=duces vey amazing result. Background detail usually over exposed in sunlight are contained somehow within a brighter glow but not clipped. The foreground shaded areas and subject are very workable and tack sharp.

I dont know why I took so long to buy this lens but I always did want it. From a user who only recently purchased and and used this lens on the street, I can't recommend it more highly. I bought the older version with out close focus and built in hood.  It does have some chromatic aberration going on but I can live and work with that.

Ken  

Ken, for street shots was your using ES for silence or some other reason? Also, what technique did you use to grab focus quickly wide open?

6 hours ago, goodbokeh said:

Ken, for street shots was your using ES for silence or some other reason? Also, what technique did you use to grab focus quickly wide open?

Hello Goodbokeh

Primarily The ES used for the fast shutter speeds needed to set lens at f1.4. I have exposures teetering on the maximum values possible and then some. This lens really performs in these conditions. It's like an extra pocket of Leica WOW when you find it. So Basically to stop camera movement because "I shoot from the hip" but also to cater for the exposures. The silent shutter has been very helpful too. One must protect their anonymity and reduce the photographers footprint so to say. How do I get wide open harp? A lot of practice and experimentation which is what a photographer is supposed to do. It's amazing coming home to check the days shooting because it's all so random and hit and miss. It's a crying shame when some of the images are not sharp but then again there are surprises that hit the mark, and that sweet spot. It's a bit like shooting film where one doesn't really know what they have got until looking at it. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...