Focomat Ic color scale

Alan Siqueira

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, just for a curiosity: anybody knows why the focomat Ic color have the iluminated scale? I had the old type and just bought the color one with the filter tray. Guess someday I gonna try making color prints, but I just don't understand why it have the paralelogram scale and the iluminated one. is there any special function for it? Or it's just more convenient in the dark?

P.s. : anybody here actually made color prints with this model? A friend of mine gave me the arista color printing filters but I notice that they bend with the heat of the bulb. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Alan, that is an illuminated enlarging scale indicator. I guess the numbers correspond to a specific size print. The other scale you mention, on the right side of the enlarger, is impossible to see in the dark.

Later black and grey Focomats can have a different looking scale attached to the rear end of the parallelogram. Both my Ic and IIc have the later version that work but I never look at these numbers. I do like having these scales because while I print all my darkroom lights turn off and the scale is a perfect point of orientation . . . But that's all they do for me.

These scales need small amber signal bulbs.

Michael

8 hours ago, M.Hilo said:

Alan, that is an illuminated enlarging scale indicator. I guess the numbers correspond to a specific size print. The other scale you mention, on the right side of the enlarger, is impossible to see in the dark.

Later black and grey Focomats can have a different looking scale attached to the rear end of the parallelogram. Both my Ic and IIc have the later version that work but I never look at these numbers. I do like having these scales because while I print all my darkroom lights turn off and the scale is a perfect point of orientation . . . But that's all they do for me.

These scales need small amber signal bulbs.

Michael

Thanks for the answer. I find very pratical to look that scale in the dark too. I've just don't understand why they put specifically on the color version. By the way, do you know the model of those bulbs? I'm using a fridge bulb on mine

6 hours ago, Alan Siqueira said:

Thanks for the answer. I find very pratical to look that scale in the dark too. I've just don't understand why they put specifically on the color version. By the way, do you know the model of those bulbs? I'm using a fridge bulb on mine

I don't think Leitz put these illuminated scales specifically on Color versions of the Focomat enlargers. I have seen these scales on the first round headed Ic. Your scale on the baseboard was mostly on the first generations of the Focomat Ic. The round headed version. Then they made the oval head black Ic with the filter tray and the first of these must have had your version scale indicator. But black Ic's later in the production have the illuminated scale attached to the rear of the parallelogram.

What voltage do you have?

I attach a picture of this small lamp of about 5cm long.

5 hours ago, M.Hilo said:

I don't think Leitz put these illuminated scales specifically on Color versions of the Focomat enlargers. I have seen these scales on the first round headed Ic. Your scale on the baseboard was mostly on the first generations of the Focomat Ic. The round headed version. Then they made the oval head black Ic with the filter tray and the first of these must have had your version scale indicator. But black Ic's later in the production have the illuminated scale attached to the rear of the parallelogram.

What voltage do you have?

I attach a picture of this small lamp of about 5cm long.

I'm using a refrigerator e14 lamp, it´s the same thng? they look alike. I'm from Brazil, has to be 120v.

Mine focomat is this one :