How Do I Add Apple Air Tag to Q2 itself?

Orguy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to add the tag to the camera, not the bag I carry it in. Has anyone come up with a good way to attach one to the leather strap ( I didn't change the strap)? I was wondering about  the holders that go on dog collars, where the strap would thread through it:

https://www.amazon.com/Airtag-Airtags-Anti-Lost-Compatible-Collars/dp/B095C337PT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_bieBhDSARIsADU4zLeBKEuHI1aKSS5uFSVQzDssCmfiO44b8sCwGIHCCw116Klf_dPBy2EaAqIYEALw_wcB&hvadid=524359041802&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9013403&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2054085091802998640&hvtargid=kwd-1288322146457&hydadcr=7464_9611828&keywords=air%2Btag%2Bholder%2Bfor%2Bdog%2Bcollar&qid=1674534698&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMzNOSEFUT0laSFBCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk3ODM1Mk1ONExDMlc0SDcxMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjYwODE0MUhZVVJaSFYwN1AxWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I also considered using the eyelets on the body but don't  really like that idea. The thing would be in the way and banging against the side of the Q2 body.

Having an air tag on the camera, even if it is in plain sight, just seems like such a good idea. Has anyone got a good solution?

3 hours ago, Orguy said:

Having an air tag on the camera, even if it is in plain sight, just seems like such a good idea.

Why?

If you’re worried about it getting stolen, the tag would be removed within 10 seconds of it going. If you’re worried about misplacing it, then an AirTag might be useful, but how often does that happen?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orguy said:

I would like to add the tag to the camera, not the bag I carry it in. Has anyone come up with a good way to attach one to the leather strap ( I didn't change the strap)? I was wondering about  the holders that go on dog collars, where the strap would thread through it:

https://www.amazon.com/Airtag-Airtags-Anti-Lost-Compatible-Collars/dp/B095C337PT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_bieBhDSARIsADU4zLeBKEuHI1aKSS5uFSVQzDssCmfiO44b8sCwGIHCCw116Klf_dPBy2EaAqIYEALw_wcB&hvadid=524359041802&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9013403&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2054085091802998640&hvtargid=kwd-1288322146457&hydadcr=7464_9611828&keywords=air%2Btag%2Bholder%2Bfor%2Bdog%2Bcollar&qid=1674534698&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMzNOSEFUT0laSFBCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk3ODM1Mk1ONExDMlc0SDcxMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjYwODE0MUhZVVJaSFYwN1AxWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I also considered using the eyelets on the body but don't  really like that idea. The thing would be in the way and banging against the side of the Q2 body.

Having an air tag on the camera, even if it is in plain sight, just seems like such a good idea. Has anyone got a good solution?

Paint it like it's a part of the strap and then put it on the strap.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lofercan said:

Hmm, interesting. Do you or anyone have this thing?What is it made of, what does it weigh? I still like the simplicity of attaching it somewhere to the camera. Yes, the Q2 can be misplaced somewhere and yes I could try to disguise the air tag somewhat.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, Orguy said:

Hmm, interesting. Do you or anyone have this thing?What is it made of, what does it weigh? I still like the simplicity of attaching it somewhere to the camera. Yes, the Q2 can be misplaced somewhere and yes I could try to disguise the air tag somewhat.  

A friend of mine does have it on his Leica Q2 and he is very satisfied. It is made in 3D printing!

Would be cool to dremmel one into a handgrip.. prob would be easy todo. 

I have an AirTag in my camera bag.. over Christmas after traveling multiple flight got off the plane and forgot my bag on the plane. Never thought it would of ever happen to me.. Was just about to walk out of the secure section of the airport when my phone alerted me. I ran back to the gate and the next flight was just about to board.  the gate agent went back on the plane for me to get my bag. For sure would of lost my q2 if it was not for that AirTag. I was seconds from the other flight boarding. Super lucky 

• Like 5

On 1/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, BrettWayne said:

If you have a hood with a cap just glue it inside the cap and paint black? 

Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that. I glued mine on front of the UV filter. Photos came out kinda Thambar-ish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking embedded  discretely in some strap shoulder pad might be the best option. I wish I could find a good shoulder pad to attach onto my default leather lecica strap that would incorporate the air tag. I'm surprised that people aren't producing some straps, or shoulder pads that have this implimented. 

For sure,  the possibilty of misplacing, or on short notice having your camera lifted is an unpleasant but possible possibility. A usable, discretely camoflagued tag, at least for a while, seems like a good idea.

I didn’t realize they had released a second Thambar. Not that I ever needed it. Back in the good old days a dab of K-Y Jelly on the front filter of my Rollei SL66 did the trick to get that hot and steamy aura. Sadly video overtook magazines in the industry and I took a different professional path. 

• 2 months later...

I have an Airtag concealed in my manbag and a fake Airtag in a leather fob on the outside. I just hope the thief is stupid enough to remove and throw away the fake Airtag and not search further. However in the light of a friend's recent experience with a stolen Land Rover Defender 110 with Airtags, where he phoned the police to tell them the location of the vehicle, whereupon Sussex Police said they were too busy filling out forms and eating doughnuts to investigate but would issue a crime number. My friend went with some large colleagues and recovered it himself, sitting in a remote out-of-sight corner of an unoccupied factory near Newhaven docks, with nobody around. If the police will not investigate a stolen Land Rover worth tens of thousands of pounds they are definitely not going to bother about a man bag or camera. 

Wilson

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me the AirTags are a good way to know where I have misplaced my various sets of keys and also to know where my luggage is on arrival at an airport. I do not believe they will help in the event of theft for the reasons given by @wlaidlaw. Further, the fact they beep randomly (when moved not near the “host” ‘phone?) they will be easily detected by any thief with working ears. I have also had random Apple ‘phones (not mine) tell me there is an AirTag nearby (known to be mine on my keys). Perhaps they helpfully tell the thief with working ears and an iPhone too!