Vintage Leica M6 Ads

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone have any vintage Leica M6 Ads from photography magazines from the 80`s and 90`s that they could post here? A friend of mine is working on an article and I am trying find vintage ads that I have saved but can't seem to find. I think I saved them from my tumblr days!

Thanks!

Tobin :)

FYR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ref. URL:

https://www.camera-house.co.uk/product/leica-fotografie-international-magazine-leica-m6-special-1997

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kivis said:

Sorry, I don't consider an M6 of any year as vintage. Now an M3, that's vintage.🤪

I was born just as the first run of M3s were on the production line. So am I vintage or just old?

5 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Not an advert, but an illustrated report in Popular Photography from the Photokina trade fair, 1984, linked in another thread:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9ds94oDzpOMC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA72

I noticed something very interesting, since there are those who say the classic M6's shutter dial goes "the wrong way" compared to what the LED lights are indicating:

"If exposure correction is necessary, only one arrow will light, with its point showing the direction in which the lens-aperture ring should be turned".

This actually works. I'm assuming that this was Leica's original intention, to adjust aperture rather than shutter speed in response to the LEDs.

Edited by Homer Dulu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Homer Dulu said:

I noticed something very interesting, since there are those who say the classic M6's shutter dial goes "the wrong way" compared to what the LED lights are indicating:

This actually works. I'm assuming that this was Leica's original intention, to adjust aperture rather than shutter speed in response to the LEDs.

It's the same in the M6 (Classic) instruction manual - only the aperture ring is mentioned. They only start talking about the meter arrows and the shutter speed dial in the manual for the M6 TTL, where the dial is reversed. But it depends on your mental map of the camera. Personally I find it easiest to think of the M6 Classic shutter speed dial as a 'thumbwheel', and consider how the 'back' of the dial should move. With a Nikon FM, which has LEDs arranged vertically, I think of how the 'right' of the shutter speed dial (as viewed from the top of the camera) and the 'right' of the aperture ring (as viewed from the back) move.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Anbaric said:

It's the same in the M6 (Classic) instruction manual - only the aperture ring is mentioned. They only start talking about the meter arrows and the shutter speed dial in the manual for the M6 TTL, where the dial is reversed. But it depends on your mental map of the camera. Personally I find it easiest to think of the M6 Classic shutter speed dial as a 'thumbwheel', and consider how the 'back' of the dial should move. With a Nikon FM, which has LEDs arranged vertically, I think of how the 'right' of the shutter speed dial (as viewed from the top of the camera) and the 'right' of the aperture ring (as viewed from the back) move.

Ahhh I definitely missed that in the manual. I have the manual, but honestly, the M cameras are so intuitive I've never needed to read it haha. 

But yes, definitely having a mental map will help, I'm still learning on how to use the controls by feel instead of having to take the camera off my eye and look at the settings.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:58 PM, kivis said:

Sorry, I don't consider an M6 of any year as vintage. Now an M3, that's vintage.🤪

Vintage comes from french Vingt ans d'âge = 20 years old. 
Every M6 are definitely older than 20. Vintage it is. 
M7, MP and M-A are not however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

Never had an issue with the shutter dial direction-of-rotation on the original M6 (which I still have one of the first batch of production M6s)).  Glad to see that Leica feels the same way with the "new" M6!  

I too have never had an issue with direction however the M6TTL/M7 direction is more logical and matches that of all Leica digital models. I would certainly never advocate that Leica change it on the new M6.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, raizans said:

It's funny how we parrot the same points from old advertisement copywriting all these years later.

As a discriminating individualist I do find electronic gadgetry to be a hindrance.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, madNbad said:

I was born just as the first run of M3s were on the production line. So am I vintage or just old?

Here's a quick test: Time yourself as to how long it takes to reload the camera from start to finish. Pay attention to your mood when you start and when you finish. This combination of factors should help you make a determination.