X-Vario screen display - serious problem

tm art

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A couple months ago the screen on my X-Vario did not light up when I turned the camera on. It was as dark as when the camera is switched off. I removed the battery and put it back in and it seemed to work normally after that. Recently, however, it has started happening more often, and several times I haven't been able to make the screen display work. It appears that the focusing, exposure metering, shutter etc are not affected. I took some pictures by just aiming the camera at the subject and they look fine.

I don't think it has to do with the battery-fully charged or low charge has made no difference. The camera was not much used and has been very well cared for. Right now the screen is working again, but for how long?

Has anybody had this problem?

37 minutes ago, wda said:

If you have an optional EVF, does that work consistently? I have not experienced your problem, neither can I recall a case reported here.

Thanks. I do have the evf and will try to see if it works once I return from my trip.

Indeed I searched for "Screen" in topic titles on this forum and nothing came up so I assume it's not a common issue.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:40 PM, jaapv said:

Could well be a bad contact on a flex inside - an easy repair.

But ... Leica Camera no longer offer support or repairs for any X series camera and independent service agencies might not be willing to investigate. 

OP have you tried using a different SD card   —  and preferably a well known established brand?  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

But ... Leica Camera no longer offer support or repairs for any X series camera and independent service agencies might not be willing to investigate. 

OP have you tried using a different SD card   —  and preferably a well known established brand?  

I'll give it a try next time the problem happens. Current card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB. I have a 2GB same brand as a backup. Thanks

On 8/10/2022 at 5:45 AM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Try resetting all menu settings to factory defaults. Select 'User Profile' and then 'Default profile'. 

Worth trying, thanks. If that cured the problem (currently the camera works fine) would changing back to my current setting options restart the problem?

On 8/15/2022 at 10:43 PM, tm art said:

Worth trying, thanks. If that cured the problem (currently the camera works fine) would changing back to my current setting options restart the problem?

No guarantee it will remedy the problem but worth a try. If it does work than any subsequent resetting should not resurrect the same problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tm art said:

Thanks. You mean a brand new one?

At one point I did swap the battery I was using with the other one fully charged. Both batteries came with the camera when I bought it second hand

I would treat them both as suspect. Even if genuine Leica stock, they could be unreliable by now. I would source a fresh one.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, wda said:

I would treat them both as suspect. Even if genuine Leica stock, they could be unreliable by now. I would source a fresh one.

Interesting. I know little about batteries, didn't know they may cause such issues.

The ones I have are probably used as little as the camera, and they last a long time after fully charged (they appear to hold a charge well)

• Like 1