Why???

TEBnewyork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Civil discussion such as in this thread is to be encouraged, unlike some outbursts as in other threads. As stated, I agree with moving the images that don't directly relate closely to a techy discussion being viewed. OTOH, if it is decided by other powers to continue as has been, I'm not particularly ruffled.

As a comparison, consider the reverse situation if some of us started posting purely techy stuff in the photo galleries and clogging them up with our 'techy talk', I wonder how the pictures posters might react. Just a thought from the flip side of the coin.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

Leica M8 Forum This forum is dedicated to everything around the Leica M8.

When you put the title like this than it is open to anything and just becuase we here well this is the way it was in the beginning does not always mean it is right now. In the beginning there was no digital, times do change folks. As i said before it is not very descript on what goes where. Customer forum was when leica supported this site, it no longer supports this site. Times change but the forum really has not. Good , bad or indifferent . Some threads have moved and some get on the M8 side that maybe should not have but only because not myself but some folks feel that title really means what it says , everything M8. you can't blame folks for reading it like that. i personnally don't use or look at the photo forums so for me it is just a waste of time, but that is my call. so stuff that goes there is something i miss. as it is it takes me a hour to get through the M8 stuff and a hour is too long for my business needs. So like others i pick one or two places to hang out. Nothing wrong with that and it is just the way it is but if they really want to correct this than it needs to be addressed more clearly to the user. forget us old farts there are many new users that come in daily that are misdirected on where to go. If I had to vote than i am in the everything M8 category, it would just be my choice . YMMV

Customer forum was when leica supported this site, it no longer supports this site.

Correct, and since Andreas pays for the hosting of the site it's his call as to how it's organised. And Andreas has said that he wants photographs in their own forum. This has been made clear many times. If you want to dump everything here, then I'm sorry but that's not the way it works.

The M8 forum was set up because the digital forum was being swamped by M8 posts, maybe you are correct and the description of the M8 forum should be amended to make its purpose clearer.

There aren't many rules here, it's easy enough to stick to what few Andreas has stated, and anyone who's been here for any length of time knows what they are.

Guest guy_mancuso

Steve seriously can you point me in the direction where it clearly says that. And it is clearly stated that any new member that walks in the door can see that said. I honestly have never seen that posted , maybe becuase i don't look for that stuff either. hell who reads rules let's be honest here 1 percent of the population

Now it's Andreas home and there is no one going to fight that issue and he can do whatever he wants. I talk to him all the time on this stuff. That is not the point. the point is it is confusing. Steve you are one person that visits the whole forum and you may see more posts than any of us but it really is not clear to folks that don't visit around the site.

Guest guy_mancuso

This is all I can find and i had to look for it. Nothing about where though

Publication of Photographs

Forum members uploading photo(s) into the forum declare that:

The photo(s) is(are) neither associated with the forum licensee nor the firm LEICA Camera AG

He/she/they is(are) the author/originator of the published photo(s), bear(ers) of all associated legal rights and that they do(es) not violate any third-party claims

Pictures containing human beings may only be published by obeying all legislative regulations with regard to copyrights/intellectual properties of the person shown on the photo

Photos which cannot be accepted for moral, ethical or religious reasons will be deleted immediately without prior notice and comment.

Prerequisite for placing a photo is that it has been made with Leica equipment and/or has a strong relationship to a Leica subject. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the use of Leica lenses on third party bodies, Leica lenses on Leica partner cameras (e.g. Panasonic) and the use of third party lenses on Leica bodies. In general, photographs taken without the use of Leica equipment are not permitted.

The maximum image size is 960 x 640 pixels and with a file size not exceeding 240 Kb.

As a sign of respect towards users having no broadband internet access a single post should not contain more than three photos.

Guy, Andreas has stated on several occasions that photographs are to go into the photo forum. I know that and you know that - in fact you complained when it happened.

Perhaps Andreas needs to clarify the rules - they still refer to there not being a buy and sell area for example.

Guest guy_mancuso
Correct, and since Andreas pays for the hosting of the site it's his call as to how it's organised. And Andreas has said that he wants photographs in their own forum. This has been made clear many times. If you want to dump everything here, then I'm sorry but that's not the way it works.

The M8 forum was set up because the digital forum was being swamped by M8 posts, maybe you are correct and the description of the M8 forum should be amended to make its purpose clearer.

There aren't many rules here, it's easy enough to stick to what few Andreas has stated, and anyone who's been here for any length of time knows what they are.

Let me make another point clear not all of us hear what Andreas says either and i have been blamed for this on the Buy and sell section. I NEVER had any idea it was reality, it was talked about to do one but I NEVER knew there was even a beta being used until AFTER the fact. But i was a liar and a theif to some. Not that i care but CLEAR is not a word i would use that freely that ALL of us get the message. not here for a arguement but making a point.

Frankly I am here to help this forum not make it worse but if you want straight across divisional lines on what does this and what does that than it really needs to be CLEAR that is the case and not what someone says that we all may not know about or that someone thinks it is applied just like the last thread removed from me. i have members telling me what to do or not do when they do not even have a CLEAR path either.

all i am asking for is make it clear to all in a form that all can see. Whatever it maybe

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, Andreas has stated on several occasions that photographs are to go into the photo forum. I know that and you know that - in fact you complained when it happened.

Perhaps Andreas needs to clarify the rules - they still refer to there not being a buy and sell area for example.

I know Steve and honestly i am really not trying to be a ass about this , truly trying to help the case here. It's hard to understand some of this when it is just ambiquious what he knows and what we know or are supposed to know. you know what i am saying

Anyway i will step out , did not really want to get in the middle of this debate. taking my kids for breakfast but if i can help the forum on this than i would be more than happy to volunteer my time if needed

Thank you everyone for the reasonableness of the discussion here. A couple of points.

Yes, the rulemakers get to set the rules. As Guy points out, it would be helpful if the rules were (more) clearly stated.

I completely understand how no one would want to have the M8 Forum become the Photo Forum, or vice versa.

My point was -- is --the M8 Landscape thread was absolutely delightful, never would have had that energy in the photo forum, was a great way to build the M8 community, showed off some great photographers' work, and most important: it really showed how our M8's work as a landscape tool. This was exactly the spirit of the portraits thread started yesterday.

Perhaps this is too hard to enforce, but here would be my plea: when the Moderators see a thread start here -- not to be a poke in the rulemakers' eye, but out of genuine enthusiasm -- let it go for a while, remind people that photos are for the photo forum, but then do NOT move it. Let it maintain its energy. Remind people that if this tolerance for photos is abused, we will go back to strict interpretation of the "rules."

Or is that too reasonable? JB

Guest guy_mancuso

Honestly i was bummed out the M8 landscape thread was moved , it was a awesome display of what the M8 can do in landscapes. But i understand the move too

I will bet the landscape thread will die out now. If pictures make point about the camera or the lens leave them in the high traffic area which is the main forum.

Agreed.

Actually, I think the problem is the "rule" does not make logical sense to those of us who post about the M8 specifically. And now since it was moved to the "photo" section titled "landscape", I assume it is in fact no longer "an M8 thread", but instead an "an anything goes thread"... Which BTW, by definition "kills" the original posters intent...

I for one would like to know exactly what purpose was served by moving it --- the hard fact is that almost every single M8 thread that gets moved elswhere because a moderator thinks it has broader appeal, dies a sudden death. A look at the regular traffic numbers on the M8 forum versus the others tells this story...

My .02,

Go to the front page*

Go to "About the Leica Forum"

Go to the second thread down "Rules in the Leica Forum"

How much more obvious do you people want this?

You have to check the box to say you've read them when you join.

* I know that the majority of M8 posters who contribute to this continuing debate never bother to look at anything else, but that's not the fault of the forum, or the Admin. It's theirs.

Here - I've made it even easier for the lazy ones amongst you :rolleyes:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/about-leica-forum/6909-rules-leica-forum.html

I will bet the landscape thread will die out now. If pictures make point about the camera or the lens leave them in the high traffic area which is the main forum.

Why would the landscape thread die out now?

What is the "main forum"? It's the Leica Forum. Not the M8 forum, which is merely a sub-section of a sub-section.

Agreed.

Actually, I think the problem is the "rule" does not make logical sense to those of us who post about the M8 specifically. And now since it was moved to the "photo" section titled "landscape", I assume it is in fact no longer "an M8 thread", but instead an "an anything goes thread"... Which BTW, by definition "kills" the original posters intent...

My .02,

The thread title clearly states something along the lines of M8 for Landscapes. Looks pretty obvious what it's about to me, and clearly implies that it is NOT an "anything goes thread".

Agreed.

I for one would like to know exactly what purpose was served by moving it --- the hard fact is that almost every single M8 thread that gets moved elswhere because a moderator thinks it has broader appeal, dies a sudden death. A look at the regular traffic numbers on the M8 forum versus the others tells this story...

My .02,

The regular traffic numbers on the M8 forum are mostly looking at tech stuff about IR issues, duff SD card issues and problems.

Then there are the threads where people row with each other (which only seems to happen in the M8 bear-pit) all of which generate far more noise than is healthy. :rolleyes:

What is the "main forum"? It's the Leica Forum. Not the M8 forum, which is merely a sub-section of a sub-section.

Perhaps it's time to disband the M8 forum and merge everything back into the digital forum? I've never liked the idea of a dedicated for a single model. :D

Perhaps it's time to disband the M8 forum and merge everything back into the digital forum? I've never liked the idea of a dedicated for a single model. :D

Do that, and no one with any other interest in digital Leicas would ever look at it again...