Why???

TEBnewyork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Y'know, I just don't get it.

What is it about the M8 that inspires such a ghetto mentality?

It's a TOOL.

If I want to see art in the real world, I go to a gallery. if I want to see images online, I go to a gallery, or in this case a photo forum.

Yet again, I ask a simple question.

What is wrong with using tags?

Many times, when on the move, I access the forum from my 'phone. I deliberately avoid the photo fora when doing so, because the download of images takes time. It is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS when I inadvertently open a thread in one of the other fora that contains images without warning. Equally, I pity those still on dial-up - we are not all on superspeed broadband connections at all times, and it is arrogant to assume otherwise.

I agree with Andy - this seems to be developing into a pythonesque argument for the sake of it.

Surely people have better things to do?

Maybe, just maybe, leave the keyboard alone for a bit and take a picture?

I bet Matisse and Monet didn't argue about who had the best brush.

Regards,

BIll

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I deliberately avoid the photo fora when doing so, because the download of images takes time.

Just to be clear, the plural of forum, when it relates to a meeting place for the exchange of views is forums, not fora. Fora is the nominative, vocative and accusative plural of the Latin for "public square" or "marketplace", forum.

Just to be clear, the plural of forum, when it relates to a meeting place for the exchange of views is forums, not fora. Fora is the nominative, vocative and accusative plural of the Latin for "public square" or "marketplace", forum.

Forgive me Mark, I am not Roman.

Regards,

Bill

Spartacus was a Thracian...

So he wasn't Roman either? No wonder their empire went to pot. There was no one around when they were needed. Perhaps they were all in England taking their money out of the "Aquilonius Silex"

Apologies to any Latin speakers that there may be in the forum - of which there ought to have been one or two in Roman times.

Which is quite correct, as the word forum as in internet forum harks back to the groups of philosphers walking and discussing and assemblies of the citizens in those meeting-places. Thus the word forum has an additional meaning as meeting place. Fora is correct.

I'll grant you though, that the use of a Latin or Greek plural can be regarded as a mild intellectual affectation...;)

I've been gawking at this forum since 2004. Why is this a problem now? I see the reasons to seperate the M8 from digital forums but no reason why you can't post a pic or two...whats the big deal????

It isn't a big deal.

There is nothing wrong with posting the odd photo in the M8 forum to illustrate a point - such as the IR issue shots that were very popular posts before Christmas.

BUT, the M8 forum is not the place for "Look how wonderful my M8 shots are" posts. We know that. These are not "technical" shots. These shots add nothing to the debate or discussion re the M8, and should be placed in the Photo forum, where they belong.

If I could edit the text below the forum headings, I would. Unfortunately, only Andreas can do that. Andreas has been very clear in the way that he wants the forums to be.

It isn't a big deal.

There is nothing wrong with posting the odd photo in the M8 forum to illustrate a point - such as the IR issue shots that were very popular posts before Christmas.

BUT, the M8 forum is not the place for "Look how wonderful my M8 shots are" posts. We know that. These are not "technical" shots. These shots add nothing to the debate or discussion re the M8, and should be placed in the Photo forum, where they belong.

If I could edit the text below the forum headings, I would. Unfortunately, only Andreas can do that. Andreas has been very clear in the way that he wants the forums to be.

Thats fine...I think the forum for the most part is administered well..thats why I've been around for so long. I do enjoy a picture from time to time because for whatever reason I don't scroll down and look at the picture forum that often...I'm the lazy among us.:)

Guest guy_mancuso
It isn't a big deal.

Again the word of the day, this is what you are saying Andy but it can change in a heart beat because it is not written and any Mod can make that change to what fits the situation. am i correct in assuming that. I'm sorry but i am really laughing hard here becuase this is typical good old boy this is the way we do it stuff and if you don't do it this way than you get the riot act from some bean head members. Am i right or am i wrong..

I think what the bottom line is a clear path to what is acceptable and what is not. no one is asking for anything different than that. :)

okay i am just going to let this go becuase it really does not matter to me at all but I think it is something to think about so it just does not become a issue any more

Again the word of the day, this is what you are saying Andy but it can change in a heart beat because it is not written and any Mod can make that change to what fits the situation. am i correct in assuming that. I'm sorry but i am really laughing hard here becuase this is typical good old boy this is the way we do it stuff and if you don't do it this way than you get the riot act from some bean head members. Am i right or am i wrong..

Guy, read the message from Andreas that I provided a link to earlier. Read it slowly in case the words are difficult to comprehend. There has never in all my time hear been any ambiguity, photographs other than those illustrating technical points belong in the photo forum. I am certain what few rules we have will be changed shortly by Andreas to make this explicit. In that you have perhaps done us all a service.

Guest guy_mancuso

Steve i have not read it yet and good i am glad you think i did us a service by bringing this up that was what i wanted to do all along , was help it not hurt it. i am just playing the devils advocate here to make it come out more clearly

Guest guy_mancuso

Sorry guys,

photos go to the photo forum please.

The M8 forum stays for technical topics please.

Andreas

Leica Forum Classifieds - just opened!

Leica Forum Gebrauchtmarkt - gerade geöffnet!

Leica Forum Classifieds

Now Steve let's point out the fact this was posted yesterday in a Portrait thread on post 30 that maybe only 200 members has seen out of 2000. Not exactly what i would call clear communications and posted in the forum rules in which this is not even mentioned and also in which every member signing up will not see. it needs to be clearly in the rules of the forum or something of that nature. Nice to see it but it is buried inside a bush and not a waving flag

Anyway i will step out , did not really want to get in the middle of this debate. taking my kids for breakfast but if i can help the forum on this than i would be more than happy to volunteer my time if needed

okay i am just going to let this go becuase it really does not matter to me at all but I think it is something to think about so it just does not become a issue any more

Guy, clearly it is an issue to you, and you have not stepped out. I really fail to see why this matters so much to you. Is it just because it doesn't work the way you personally want it to? The rules have been pointed out to you a number of times now, patiently and politely. Why not let it lie?

Regards,

Bill