Street Photography in Sweden

Nachtmsk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Any Swedes out there?

I am going on holiday this summer to Stockholm and Denmark. I was wondering how Swedes feel about street photographers. From what I have been reading about Swedish culture, they are a very private people.

First: Is it legal to photograph people on the street?

Second: Is it considered rude to respectfully  photograph people on the street in Sweden, Stockholm in particular?

Third: I'm assuming this is a big 'no', but if I see an interesting subject can I ask them if I can photograph them?  Again, from what I am reading about Swedish culture, speaking to strangers is often not done and might startle people. Is this accurate?

Thanks!
Mike

Can't say anything about the current legal situation. A fair amount of tourists visit Stockholm every year, so in the context of typical tourist activities Stockholmers are quite used to people running around with cameras and taking pictures. For the same reason most people in Stockholm would not have a problem with someone approaching them to ask for permission to take a picture. Since practically everybody speaks English you shouldn't have any problem to start a conversation if you want to. That said, Swedes too value their privacy in pretty much the same way as anybody else in central Europe.

At night, especially on weekends, I'd be less inclined to take pictures in places were there are a lot of party people moving around in the streets. Groups of people with high levels of alcohol in their blood are rarely a good target for photographic activities unless you yourself are part of the group. I'd avoid taking pictures of people queuing to get into pubs and clubs or waiting for the bus/subway late at night, because that's typically the places with a lot of intoxicated people with a short fuse.

You will love Stockholm. Great place, great people.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by toyfel
  • Like 1