Summilux-M 50mm 1.4 ASPH Push-on Cap

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did someone found any push-on cap that fits this lens? Leica or any other brand, or generic one, doesn't matter. I don't like the original cap, feels too flimsy and easy to lose, so I'm currently using some Fuji push-on cap, but it's too ugly. It should be 53 or 54mm inside diameter, but it would be nice to know before I purchase something.

6 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

Did someone found any push-on cap that fits this lens? Leica or any other brand, or generic one, doesn't matter. I don't like the original cap, feels too flimsy and easy to lose, so I'm currently using some Fuji push-on cap, but it's too ugly. It should be 53 or 54mm inside diameter, but it would be nice to know before I purchase something.

Short answer: no

I just tried the push on caps from my 35 cron asph v2, 90 2.5 rit and 90 rit hood on my 50 asph

None of them fit!

I'm 90(ish)% sure that the 90 rit hood and the 35 2.4 rit hood are the same

FWIW... I always replace pinch caps with generics and keep the OEM ones safe. I'd rather lose something that cost about 1€ and I have many spares of than something that's probably 30€ (guessed that!) and I don't have any spares

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

Short answer: no

I just tried the push on caps from my 35 cron asph v2, 90 2.5 rit and 90 rit hood on my 50 asph

None of them fit!

I'm 90(ish)% sure that the 90 rit hood and the 35 2.4 rit hood are the same

FWIW... I always replace pinch caps with generics and keep the OEM ones safe. I'd rather lose something that cost about 1€ and I have many spares of than something that's probably 30€ (guessed that!) and I don't have any spares

Thanks for checking.

I found different A54 push-on caps on eBay, that I think should fit, but I don't have any to try. I also asked few sellers, but none were able to check, or they didn't respond. I guess, if nobody here has both to check, I'll have to buy and try it myself.

The diameter of the front element is 53mm, and the A54 is 54mm, but it has some felt inside which should reduce the diameter to 53mm I guess.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

Is this for the standard 50/1.4 ASPH or the retro lens?

BTW, this should be in the M lens forum

Standard/New 50 1.4 ASPH

5 years on this forum, and I didn't even know such forum exists :) Moderators, please feel free to move the thread.

Try a neoprene lens cap.

There's a version from LensCoat but you should find several on eBay.

Just place on lens front and roll, like how you wear a sock. It should cover the whole lens when not in use. Just make sure it's tight fitting.

Alternatively you can make your own with neoprene fabric.

Edited by rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Use a UV filter. We always referred to lens caps as 'lost caps.' (and ever ready cases as never ready). The only lens of mine that won't take UV filters I've already lost two hood caps for - the 18mm Elmar. And at $65 a pop I'm done - the lens can take its 'chances' from this point on (or I'll make one or find an alternative like the neoprene mentioned above). 

And last month I took the UV filter off my 135mm APO thinking it was flaring in this certain shooting situation. Forgot the filter was off and it rubbed against another lens in my bag and now has a big scuff mark on the front element. And the flare wasn't from the filter.

Edited by charlesphoto99

15 hours ago, rramesh said:

Try a neoprene lens cap.

There's a version from LensCoat but you should find several on eBay.

Just place on lens front and roll, like how you wear a sock. It should cover the whole lens when not in use. Just make sure it's tight fitting.

Alternatively you can make your own with neoprene fabric.

Neoprene cap sounds even uglier than my Fuji push-on cap 😆

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Use a UV filter. We always referred to lens caps as 'lost caps.' (and ever ready cases as never ready). The only lens of mine that won't take UV filters I've already lost two hood caps for - the 18mm Elmar. And at $65 a pop I'm done - the lens can take its 'chances' from this point on (or I'll make one or find an alternative like the neoprene mentioned above). 

And last month I took the UV filter off my 135mm APO thinking it was flaring in this certain shooting situation. Forgot the filter was off and it rubbed against another lens in my bag and now has a big scuff mark on the front element. And the flare wasn't from the filter.

I use UV filter all the time. Basically that's the first thing I put on when I purchase a brand new Leica lens. For some other brands (like Fuji), I don't even bother having UV filter or cap. The hood is sufficient. But for Leica, I like to have UV filter, hood and the hood cap. When I'm shooting, my cap is in the pocket all the time, but whenever I'm putting the camera in the bag, I like to have a cap on. I had a bad experience when I severely scratched the expensive Leica UV filter (I don't know how and when, the scratch just appeared one day), and since then I'm more careful about the glass.

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use one similar to this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/125287-REG/Kaiser_206954_54mm_Push_On_Lens_Cap.html

they’re the only cap I can find new that is push on.  The fit might be a bit loose which is remedied with felt or gaffers tape. The huge advantage to these caps is the protection they give to the hood edges, the minor advantages are they’re cheap and when I put them in my pocket they don’t make noise or scratch other items. Lately, I purchased one that has a very short lip, I don’t know if they changed the whole line or it’s unique to the one size, iirc 63mm.  If you want something more Leica like call Josh at Leica Miami, he’ll know if there’s one available.  There’s a whole section on their website with parts. Btw- the hood on the asph is user replaceable, sourcing it from Leica or Leica Miami for chrome. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

i just bought via BHphoto this one here, a 53mm push-on lens cap from Kaiser , for the 50/1.4 asph on my M10D.

i simply had enough faux-pas, i.e. accidents with forgetting to take off the hood and 'enjoying' those pitch-black photos on my home screen !  the push-ons stand out more and hence should warn me early enough.  moreover, they are more silent, quasi noise-free and less finicky, quicker to remove...