Base plate/leicavit damage using PD Capture Pro/Scarabaeu/FALCAM/other such bottom of camera clips

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The idea of these types of clips is brilliant to me. Comfortably having the camera close to hand, easy to grab and shoot and safe with the strap still around the neck but not constantly applying that pressure to the neck. Seriously considering getting one of these. but I have some doubts.

Do you think that these bottom of the camera clips could damage the base plate/leicavit on a film M? I'm thinking that all that weight of the camera and lens is applying some sort of torsion on the points where the base plates/leicavit attach to the camera eventually causing some "stretching" of the metal "loop" on the baseplate/leicavit that goes over the nodule on the bottom of the camera. Maybe some separation between the baseplate and the body (light leaks eventually possible?). Just seems like weight applied to one small point (tripod screw hole) and on something thats not one solid bit of metal but rather two separate pieces.

On cameras where the base and body are all one piece this isn't an issue but on Leica film Ms the bottom and body are two separate pieces.

To be clear, I don't know what the bottoms of digital Ms are like as I've never used one and I don't care about these, only interested in how they would work on a film m with a removable base plate/leicavit.

what do you think?

The problem is the tripod socket is located at the end of the baseplate. If you find a grip that moves it to a central point, then the toque problem will be minimized. For not much money you can get a 3D printed Buttergrip from Cameradactyl. This will give you both a useable grip and with a 3/8th to 1/4-20 adapter, a solid point to mount the clip adapter. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I used a PD Capture with M240 and my smallest lens (Elmarit-M 28 asph) and I found it too large and heavy - not in discomfort around the neck, but the camera pulled hard against the tiny PD QR plate - it didn't feel stable to me. I believe with the M240 (which I no longer have) the tripod fitting goes into the camera body, so there is no question of the strength of the baseplate. I used the clip with the CL and 18-56 zoom and it was OK. I'd rather use it with the smallest possible camera though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I used a PD Capture with M240 and my smallest lens (Elmarit-M 28 asph) and I found it too large and heavy - not in discomfort around the neck, but the camera pulled hard against the tiny PD QR plate - it didn't feel stable to me. I believe with the M240 (which I no longer have) the tripod fitting goes into the camera body, so there is no question of the strength of the baseplate. I used the clip with the CL and 18-56 zoom and it was OK. I'd rather use it with the smallest possible camera though.

This is my concern. the tripod filling is just on the baseplate om film Ms and maybe I'm being paranoid but I just imagine that its just too much weight/pull on the baseplate

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

If you just want something bigger to hold the regular Leica grip 14405 fits all film M cameras and it also centre's the tripod hole.

No, not about having something bigger to hold, I just want to be able to carry the camera without uni-directional force on my spine from single shoulder strap/cross body carry or on my neck from around the neck strap carry. These Clips would have meant that I could carry the camera on a backpack strap where most of the load would be spread (more evenly) on two shoulders on either side of the spine. its the same as the standard argument that two strap backpacks are better for the back, spine and shoulders than messenger style bags.