Holster / clip for Leica M on backpack strap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm seeking the perfect device to attach my M240 to a backpack shoulder strap. Candidates so far: 

- Peak Design Capture Pro: designed for what I want, but I would prefer the body to hang vertically with the lens pointing forward.

- Scarabaeus: beautifully made, but designed only for horizontal belt straps. 

- Fast + Prime Uhl holster: gorgeous but pricy, and would need to be customised for a backpack strap, so even more expensive. 

- Leica and Wotancraft holsters: they come fixed to their own straps.

Criteria: held securely, quick release, preferably held vertical with the lens pointing forward. Weatherproofing is not needed - the M will go in the backpack if necessary. The lens in question is most likely to be the little Elmarit 28mm, the Summicron 50AA or possibly (less likely) the Summicron 75 AA. The attachment could be a strap clamp like the Peak Designs clip, or even a carabiner, as long as the M is protected from it. The backpack is the F-stop Loka) which has a lot of attachment points. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I have the peak design capture pro. I like the pro version more than the non-pro version and have found the quick screw on of the whole capture clip onto the tripod head is easier for star shots and night stuff than 

When worn on a backpack strap depending on where you put it and how fast you're moving you may also want to get the pro-pad. This is a mood thing for me. I kind of like it one of 3 places, on the hip belt, just below collar bone, or on the unpadded part of the strap below my hips. None of those spots are exactly right all of the time. To be honest, this is still a mystery to me. Is it based on conditions, is it just that I haven't found the one right spot, is it me just liking to mix things up?

I use the mini plate rather than the default plate. If you actually read the directions they recommend using the Allen key to tighten on the baseplate and I have found that to be wise otherwise it can come loose with motion. I haven't tried the RRS plate.

My biggest complaint with the system is not really the capture clip but rather the Leica M and its baseplate. I would love it if the next M dispensed with the baseplate and switched to a battery and card system like the SL, T, & S. I hate having to pull out the Allen key and remove the qr plate, and then remove the baseplate to change and charge the battery. That being said, the M has a nice big battery and can go at least a day of shooting in the field without needing to be recharged.

I don't know what else to tell you. Feel free to ask questions. It works, it is great. I'm on my 3rd. I had the original which wasn't as refined. The current version is much better. I gave the first version to a girl that I was dating and got the new one. Lost it. Accidently bought a cheap knock off. Beware of the cheap knock off Capture Clips on eBay they are junk. Bought a new official one.  I use it on several bags in different ways. Mechanically, I never had a problem with it even in rain or heavy dust. It is secure even when hustling.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I once made a quick release system for my Nikon Dwhateveritwas. It was basically a fastex  buckle on each rucksack shoulder strap attached to the camera strap close to the camera lugs. When connected up, the weight of the camera was solely on the sac straps, and the camera strap went loosely around my neck. This gave some security when releasing the fastex buckles for whatever reason. There was enough play in the system for the camera to be brought to the eye without a need to release the buckles. I think I've since seen something similar available commercially.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

I'm seeking the perfect device to attach my M240 to a backpack shoulder strap. Candidates so far: 

- Peak Design Capture Pro: designed for what I want, but I would prefer the body to hang vertically with the lens pointing forward.

Any suggestions?

BTW regarding having the lens forward, I think that I would say this may be ill advised. Should you stumble with the camera on the shoulder strap the impact would likely be right on the front of the lens and transmitted straight into the center of the body. In the way that the capture clip holds the camera, any impact would be on the rangefinder. I think that may do less damage. 

In rough terrain, I think I tend to put the capture clip down my shoulder strap on the unpadded part near the base of my rib cage where if I were to fall forward it would be somewhat sheltered by my body. But as I said, I tend to move it around a bit. So I wouldn't say that I followed that as a rule.

• Like 1

Regarding lenses: The last time I went on a serious backpacking trip I only had a 28mm and s 50mm. The 50 hardly got used and for the next trip it will be left home. Around home on my general light hiking, I have been trying out the 28-90 combo and it seems to be practically ideal for a minimal kit. I also have the Macro adapter which is tiny and light.

I have the 28 cron and the 90 APO cron. It is totally a trade off carrying the 90mm APO, it is comparatively big and heavy but given the other uses I have for a short telephoto it was probably a better choice for me. Ideally, I think having the 90 Macro-Elmar would be a better lens for backpacking in a world unconstrained by budget. I might also pick up one of those 15mm CV for my next backpacking trip. 

For charging, I have the goal zero Sherpa 50 but I'm not entirely happy with it. It works well with their solar panels and has the 12v needed to charge ham radios and the M's batteries as well as a USB port to charge things like iPhones. It took me years to really figure out, that the overall system is more important than any one component. The fact that the GZ system all works together well makes up for the fact that any component is not the best. I made up cable that goes directly from the 12v port to the M charger's 12v port. The biggest problem with the Sherpa 50 is the USB port is low power and there is only one of them. I sort of feel like the Sherpa 100 fixed the design problems in the 50 but I'm not really ready to carry that much extra weight and I'm not sure that I need that much power storage. I have to say that I'm disappointed that the T and the SL do not have 12v or USB capable chargers. Since high power USB is so much more common now, I was hoping I could whip up.a USB 5v to 12v converter but the M's charger ends up pulling nearly 15W more than anything but these USB-C ports can handle. I haven't tried taking one of those dual USB chargers which can charge an iphone and iPad simultaneously and tried pulling 15W out of one port. I haven't yet seen a ruggedized USB-C battery pack.

I wish that Leica would make a M battery charger which charged off of USB either high power 5V or USB-C. Even if it was a little slower, I think that it would be a great optional accessory. Actually, I wish they had that for the T as well and think that the SL owners would like it as well. 

(Yes I've put a huge amount of thought and time into tuning my backpacking kit. I know I'm a little daft and obsessive.)

Edited by bencoyote

Ben, I recognise the risks around the orientation of camera and lens, but pointing forward is what I want.

And I realise that no OP has ownership over a thread, but may I plea for the thread to focus on the original question rather than divert to general backpacking practice?  :) Time enough for that after a few pages.

I once made a quick release system for my Nikon Dwhateveritwas. It was basically a fastex  buckle on each rucksack shoulder strap attached to the camera strap close to the camera lugs. When connected up, the weight of the camera was solely on the sac straps, and the camera strap went loosely around my neck. This gave some security when releasing the fastex buckles for whatever reason. There was enough play in the system for the camera to be brought to the eye without a need to release the buckles. I think I've since seen something similar available commercially.

Pete

Thanks, that sounds a useful approach.

Ben, I recognise the risks around the orientation of camera and lens, but pointing forward is what I want.

And I realise that no OP has ownership over a thread, but may I plea for the thread to focus on the original question rather than divert to general backpacking practice?  :) Time enough for that after a few pages.

Sorry, you got me dreaming about my next trip and what I want and need to change.

• Like 1

Thanks. I think that is also only a belt device? I don't think it works on a shoulder strap?

How about this hack: attach the capture pro camera plate to the back of the streetshooter and put that in the capture pro clamp.   The Capture pro can be mounted on belt/strap/wherever and the camera will still be facing forward.   A down side is I think  the camera can fall out out of the streetshooter if attached to someplace like a backpack strap and you bend over.  I might be wrong about that.

• Like 1

Thanks. I think that is also only a belt device? I don't think it works on a shoulder strap?

I own the StreetShooter and it lies somewhere in a cupboard. I just don't trust it, it hangs down and any M with even the lightest lens feels too heavy for it. I do not trust the Scarabaeus for the same reason

• Like 1

It took me a long time to find that Kessler Receiver: fits the RRS Baseplate with just enough room for the studs, and is solid: click the camera in place, and you don't even have to use the lock-lever. It's loose, but can't get out without a push on the release bar button. You could skip the BladeTech TMMS if you want to cut a complication out, and have it mounted closer to you, which isn't a bad idea for Center Of Gravity concerns. With the TMMS, you also have options for a paddle, Molle, and/or the Tek-Lok. I went with the full-size TMMS, but the Kessler interferes with the locking mechanism (Blade-Tech's fault on design), but five minutes with a Dremel will reduce that TMMS lock-bar radius without compromising the security, so....

Bonus: your camera is tripod-ready. Bonus: your camera is heavier ('stability' is the argument we always use). Bonus: you can use one stud-mounting point for a hand-strap.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...