X2

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow...I took the X2 out for some street photography and just some general family photo op, and it was a very disappointing in the softness of the images. My Ricoh Gr111 beats it hands down in day or night photography with contrast (BW images) as well as just sharpness. I want to like this camera more than I am, ... the size is perfect. I love the analog feel to it. I am not a fan of the 'HUGE" ev on top, but the LCD is way too weak to use. Ideas?  jim

Yes, I thought I did as I use the VF as opposed to the LCD. But hey, I notice that the diopter adjustment isn't that precise,...just as I notice the manual focus is not at all precise, thus I rely upon the Auto.  jim

I also use a VF, but set the focus sound to one I can hear when it locks on. If you rush it, you will seldom get a sharp picture. It is not a long delay, but essential and acceptable for many subjects. If you need a quicker response time,  pre-focus before shooting.

i haven't had the X2 very long and while it is not a learning curve by far, if one understands mechanics, ....the Ricoh I have is just a pure point and shoot and not much thinking needed, especially if done 'live view' .... But the X2 needs one to stop and think. These past few days have gotten me back into 'thinking' ....and I have found that to  be pure enjoyable. I am beginning to see great value in this little guy.  

Sometimes I think I would like to get a CL, or even a Q....but lately as I play with the x2 and just learn it, wow....great images, fun to shoot, an analog feel as one slows down to take images (lag time) etc.... I am wondering if this is Nirvana and people do not realize it...

• Like 2

To tag onto what I just stated.....I would love to  have a built-in EVF instead of the attachment on top. I would like to have my eye place 'left-centered' instead of in the middle of the camera. While 24 Pixels is not really needed (let alone 47 as the Q has) for the normal hobby photographer, it is nice to have 24 instead of 16. I can get not only 35mm equivalent shot but also 28, with two separate lens' on the CL , as opposed to one lens reach on the X2. The LCD on the CL is miles ahead of the X2, but is it really needed if I rely upon the EVF?

Given that.....on my X2, the leatherette is just like that found on the original Q. I am not sure if this is unusual or not but it doesn't look like any leatherette's I see on other X2's. (see image). My serial number is of the latest versions of the X2 and maybe they were playing with outer leatherette coatings?

Given the benefits of the CL....my X2 takes outrageous photo's....will the CL be any better for the additional dollars? 

My Thoughts  this fine Monday...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an X1 and a CL. They are two different solutions. The X1 goes places where I do not anticipate serious photography. It still surprises me what the X1 can do. I suggest you try a CL before they all disappear. Leica seems to have lost interest in really compact cameras.

One final point, the tiny X camera can perform from extreme viewpoints, impossible to achieve with an eye-level viewfinder.

Edited by wda

The X2 (and all Leica digital cameras to date AFAIK) use contrast-based focus.

With contrast-based focus, the camera moves the lens focus, checks if it's more in-focus or out-of-focus, moves it a bit more, etc.

So you need to hold the camera very steady while it focuses.

If you don't hold it as steady as possible while focusing, you will get blurry photos.

Toshi

On 3/21/2022 at 9:34 AM, wda said:

I have an X1 and a CL. They are two different solutions. The X1 goes places where I do not anticipate serious photography. It still surprises me what the X1 can do. I suggest you try a CL before they all disappear. Leica seems to have lost interest in really compact cameras.

One final point, the tiny X camera can perform from extreme viewpoints, impossible to achieve with an eye-level viewfinder.

I just bought a CL last week and am loving it. I was considering picking up an X2/X-E as a secondary camera, and almost bought one online, but had second thoughts because I think it may not be that much smaller than the CL, at least not enough to justify the purchase. I also wondered if the camera (especially the accessory finder) would seem to dated after being used to the CL. I also just bought some TL lenses so I definitely don't need to be spending any more money right now, but I'm just wondering if it's even worth keeping my eyes peeled for a deal. I guess what I'd really like is true pocketability for those times when I'm not necessarily "out shooting," like an every-day carry kind of camera. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Better get a T or TL. Those are regularly offered cheaply and make a great companion to the CL 

Were you answering me? I was also considering a T body on which to mount my Elmarit 18mm as a low profile carry-everywhere camera - would that be a pretty slim carry?

But I'm pretty sure I'd end up buying the Visoflex as well (since EVF>>>LCD IMO) and that would surely make carry a little more complicated.

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have a CL, and secondary X and X2 and TL. I have never felt the need  for a Visoflex. If I need a viewfinder I use rhe CL or one of my other cameras 

Yeah, I could probably live without the Visoflex in this situation, given the role as secondary camera. Between your X, X2, and TL (assume with 18mm pancake), which is the most pocketable? Are the X's small enough to fit in a loose pants pocket?

It is all much of a muchness. I would say the X(2) without Visoflex is the smallest. It comes with a nice belt-holster too.

Downsides of the X2:
1. Visoflex. It does the job, but is rather dated: slow refresh rate and the view is not the prettiest. 
2. AF is slow
3. LCD is dated and small, especially compared to the TL

The sensor of all these cameras is excellent for normal use.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:34 PM, wda said:

But the CL has the option of Live View. ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJB said:

Yeah, I could probably live without the Visoflex in this situation, given the role as secondary camera. Between your X, X2, and TL (assume with 18mm pancake), which is the most pocketable? Are the X's small enough to fit in a loose pants pocket?

Definitely!

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm a bit torn because I think I prefer the potential pocketability of the X2/X-E, but the T/TL/TL2 is obviously a newer camera and is quite interesting and unique from an industrial design perspective. I know it got a lot of negative reviews, but I applaud Leica for thinking outside the box. I think the titanium-finish TL looks particularly sharp.

I actually think the CL, despite its more classic appearance, inherited a bit of modernity in its controls from the TL (and probably SL) that I also appreciate (unmarked "soft" control dials, lack of aperture ring). These things initially turned me off - I was evaluating the camera against a Fujifilm X-Pro3, which I was attracted to because of its very traditional design. But what I found was that where the Fuji felt like a digital replica of a vintage camera, the CL felt like a modern reinterpretation, and was more ergonomically optimized (IMO). What really pushed me over the edge was the CL's gorgeous viewfinder, which somehow outperforms the X-Pro3's despite less pixel density (maybe it's the higher magnification?). Ultimately, the CL just feels like the sort of digital camera I've aways wanted, one that I could connect with in a similar way to my favorite film cameras, while giving up nothing in terms of performance. Sorry to go off on a tangent and gush, but I'm just so darn enamored of this new camera of mine.

It's funny, though - I had initially dismissed the Q2 on the basis of cost, and then I decided to pick up a few TL lenses (body and lenses all secondhand, at least), so probably spent similar money in the end. But I think I'm okay with that. I realize the Q2 is the hot camera in Leica's line-up right now, and the APS-C cameras seem on the verge of discontinuation, but I honestly could not wrap my head around spending that much money on a fixed-lens camera, despite impressive crop ability.

Anyway, in regards to an X2/X-E/T/TL/TL2, I think I will just keep my eyes on the secondhand market for a good deal to pop up. I'm certainly not in any hurry.

My understanding is that key to the X1/X2 for street photography is using manual focus and the digital distance/ hyperfocal distance bar. The green indicates the depth of field. Given the X2 has a 24mm lens that plenty of dof when paired with higher apertures like f8. The evf is laggy so it's recommended an ovf to frame the shot. 

For more closer precise focusing there's the mf assist.

All the best

I am beginning to really like my  X2, after years and years of the Ricoh Gr11 and Gr111. Don't get me wrong, the Ricoh is superb but what the X2 brings to the table, (and I am afraid the CL and Q will not bring to the table) is that intangible analog feel.  Read on:

• Someone stated in this thread that the X2 has a lag time between shots. Yes it  does and it is close to 'one second', if not more. But,  that 'lagtime' connects to my 'love for the analog'. When I  shoot my M3 or M6, I manual focus, shoot and then what do I do? I have to advance the film. Now, that 'lagtime'  in my X2 between shots, is an intangible that makes shooting fun. It is part of the process that  doesn't just make me shoot continuous, rather, it slows me down. It makes me aware of the upcoming scene and makes me frame the image. 

• The X2 is not the easiest to manual focus, ...that is agreed. But it is possible. But it is equally possible to shoot manual itself with me having  all of the controls at my finger tips. I adjust the aperture and exposure and shutter etc. That again brings me to that Analog Feel. True, the CL and Q can do that too, so I am not taking anything away from them. But let's not forget to do that 'process' instead of just putting a camera on P mode and shooting as many I know who  have the CL and Q do....place on "A" and let it go I suppose is their motto. 

• The Q and the CL are incredible sharp....almost too sharp, un-human to a degree. The Ricoh was equally as sharp too.... But I learned how to shoot without utter sharpness and have learned how to do so with the X2. At first, I  couldn't get it....too much 'blurriness"  But thanks to TMorita on this thread (Post #8) spelled it out well...thanks. Now I have that in mind and with other more modern cameras, we forget the value of really holding the camera steady,...again...very analog...very much like my film Leicas.

• The EVF in the X2 isa requirement.  The LCD on the X2 is extremely weak and unless in dusk or darkness...it is difficult to see. So I rely upon the EVF from Olympus and it provides me with that Analog feel. Perfect.... It also allows me to view live so I know what I am shooting with my settings.   If I want an LCD like the TL or CL or Q...okay,...go ahead, but I don't want to shoot like a 'phone' but prefer to shoot like a  camera, and that is thru the EVF. For years....for years...I shot thru the LCD on my Ricoh and it got to the point where some of the photography fun was taken from the process of shooting. So no, I don't want the TL , nor rely upon the LCD on the CL or Q. The only thing I don't like is that the EVF is in the middle of the camera and I would prefer it on the left side like the CL and Q. But with the CL and Q, you can still shoot with an excellent EVF, so bravo there...I am envious! 

Bottom line.....The X2 ...'is' my go to camera. My Ricoh is on the shelf..... my desire to get that $6000 monochrome Q or the CL with a 23mm and 18mm len's that gets the price up to $6000 is not in my cards.  I have a perfect versions of the X2 and I am happy. I am content. It took me a while to 're-introduce' myself to analog using a digital, the the Ricoh taught me wrong. Now I have it and I am going to keep it going until the thing dies. OR, at least in theory, that is what I am going to do 🙂 ..... jim
  • Like 1