Panasonic 16-35mm f/4

T.J.

Yes. It is a very decent lens. I checked mine for decentering when I got it. There have been reports of copies that are poorly aligned,  Mine is ok. Bulky, but reasonable weight. My thought was to to use it until some wide angle primes become available, but will likely end up keeping it regardless. Unfortunately it does not back button af. 

9 hours ago, T.J. said:

does back button autofocus work with the lens.

It's one of the Panasonic lenses with a focus clutch, which is great if you like to focus for yourself, or if you shoot video. The downside is that it requires a little dance to toggle from MF to AF: the focus ring is moved toward the subject or the camera body.

I had this for some days. My copy was heavy decentred. The feeling was not the best and there was a clatter inside - louder that any AF-lens with IS (that's here not implemented). For this the price was too high. The IQ was a bit mixed sharp - but it looks clinical to me. The rings for focus and focal length were not smooth. No problem for still but for video. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:31 AM, BernardC said:

Just to be clear: you can back-button-focus, but you need to switch the lens to AF first by moving the focus ring back and forth.

Well, that’s different then.  Thanks for the info. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:31 PM, BernardC said:

Just to be clear: you can back-button-focus, but you need to switch the lens to AF first by moving the focus ring back and forth.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:44 AM, T.J. said:

Well, that’s different then.  Thanks for the info. 

With this lens you cannot use standard backfocus technique, actually with all so called  Panasonic Leica certified lenses is not possible. This is due to how this functionality has been implemented in  leica cameras. 

You need to set the lens to manual focus, so shutter button focus is disable. With this lens and any other pana lens with clutch when pulling the focus ring down to enable manual focus, no matter what you do in the leica, it won't focus the lens, seems like the clutch disables by hardware focusing. It does work with the 1.8 primes since to set the lens to manual focus you just need to push a button.  

This is a very simple fix, leica just needs to give you the option to disable focus via shutter button, like all other companies, but i don't think its going to happen. 

I have now the Panasonic 24-70mm f2.8, an amazing lens, and i will end selling it due to this, (before i was using a Pana S1).