SL Summilux 50mm lens on CL/TL body

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Something I have been curious about for a while is using the SL Summilux 50 on a CL or TL body. Given the comparatively large size of the lens, I am guessing the combination handles a bit strange but I am interested in how the images look. Given that on an apsc sensor the lens acts like a 75 f1.4, I would like to hear from anyone who has tried it. Are the results good, or is the combo simply too unwieldy?

I can't help you, I'm afraid, but apart from curiosity, why would you choose this route when there are many M-mount 50 mm lenses which are easier to use and give exemplary results?

It is amazing how many lenses can be adapted to work on other camera bodies, but I view such combinations as testing what is possible, rather than accepting the more usual twinning of lenses and bodies.

Autofocus is something I have become more reliant on with age…my eyes aren’t what they were. I use the SL 35 and 75 summicrons on my  CL and TL2 which are great but of course much smaller than the 50 lux.

I will probably pick up a SL series body a couple of years down the road and in all likelihood a 50mm. Could get the SL 50 Cron to match my others. But having something a tad faster would be more useful, which is what led to my thoughts about its usefulness on an apsc body.

• Like 1

The SL 50 summilux is superb on the CL.  It is also my favorite SL lens.

Yes, there is mass to the lens, but cradling the body of the lens makes it manageable for me.  But, I also find the  SL 50 on the SL 601 to be a 'load'.  

Go for it!  (An amateur's perspective).

Regards,

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 9

On 11/13/2021 at 2:34 AM, Steven Lane said:

Something I have been curious about for a while is using the SL Summilux 50 on a CL or TL body. Given the comparatively large size of the lens, I am guessing the combination handles a bit strange but I am interested in how the images look. Given that on an apsc sensor the lens acts like a 75 f1.4, I would like to hear from anyone who has tried it. Are the results good, or is the combo simply too unwieldy?

If what you have is a CL or TL body and you don't have an SL(2)(2-S), then why not go for the 35 Summilux TL?  It's up there with SL primes in quality and will balance much better on your CL or TL and is half the price.

The 50 Summilux SL is out of this world.  I used an early copy and you can tell the lens is special just through the viewfinder.  But it is going to be very big for a CL or TL.  It's big even for an SL.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, cpclee said:

If what you have is a CL or TL body and you don't have an SL(2)(2-S), then why not go for the 35 Summilux TL?  It's up there with SL primes in quality and will balance much better on your CL or TL and is half the price.

The 50 Summilux SL is out of this world.  I used an early copy and you can tell the lens is special just through the viewfinder.  But it is going to be very big for a CL or TL.  It's big even for an SL.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, Steven Lane said:

I think the OP may have been wanting a 75mm focal length.  The TL 35 gets him to 50 mm, etc . . .  Rob

On 11/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, Steven Lane said:

Given that on an apsc sensor the lens acts like a 75 f1.4,

I’m pretty sure that a 50/1.4 on an APSC is the equivalent field of view and effective aperture of a 75/f2 on a full frame. 

Leica T w SL 50 1.4

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, ropo54 said:

The SL 50 summilux is superb on the CL.  It is also my favorite SL lens.

Yes, there is mass to the lens, but cradling the body of the lens makes it manageable for me.  But, I also find the  SL 50 on the SL 601 to be a 'load'.  

Go for it!  (An amateur's perspective).

Regards,

Rob

These are great examples of the focus falloff. The second picture is like a straight line right behind the dogs head. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally caved in and found a Black Friday deal on the Summilux. Took delivery of it this morning and expected to be overwhelmed by its size. When attached to my CL or TL2, the balance and weight reminds me a lot of my Zuiko 180mm f2.8 attached to a OM4Ti body. Hopefully I will get out and about with it tomorrow. I think the next camera purchase will be one of the SL variants, but not for a while. Adding both the 50 Summilux and 35 L Summicron to my collection in the last few weeks has cleaned me out of funds for a while 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 4:40 AM, Steven Lane said:

Autofocus is something I have become more reliant on with age…my eyes aren’t what they were. I use the SL 35 and 75 summicrons on my  CL and TL2 which are great but of course much smaller than the 50 lux.

I will probably pick up a SL series body a couple of years down the road and in all likelihood a 50mm. Could get the SL 50 Cron to match my others. But having something a tad faster would be more useful, which is what led to my thoughts about its usefulness on an apsc body.

Curious -- when you mount one of the SL Summicrons on your CL, have you found you need additional accessories to improve handling?  Grip, thumb rest, finger loop, etc?

No, I have found them fine as I tend to use the lens as the grip. It goes back to the days when I used to shoot film with large telephotos and before we had Image stabilisation. I found gripping the lens was the best way to steady them when not using a tripod. Although I have never used a grip with the CL I can see it helping balance the camera. Not sure about thumb rest, I think the weight of a L Cron or Lux would make it uncomfortable. Maybe there is someone on this forum who has experience?

Edited by Steven Lane

10 hours ago, Steven Lane said:

No, I have found them fine as I tend to use the lens as the grip. It goes back to the days when I used to shoot film with large telephotos and before we had Image stabilisation. I found gripping the lens was the best way to steady them when not using a tripod. Although I have never used a grip with the CL I can see it helping balance the camera. Not sure about thumb rest, I think the weight of a L Cron or Lux would make it uncomfortable. Maybe there is someone on this forum who has experience?

I use a thumb rest and it feels a bit like hooking your thumb against a film advance lever.  Your right hand can then grip the camera less hard and you can even let go of your left hand when you need to and still shoot.

I can see how one might use the left hand as primary support when a larger lens is mounted--especially it is native L mount lens with no focus and aperture rings to turn.  With manual focusing I find even my 50 Summicron R (E55) to be a bit big to operate.