Leica New Zealand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, we now have a growing number of Delta cases in the community and it looks like the government's decision to raise the Alert Level to 4 was the right decision. 

The following day when we saw 5 cases, it reminded me of the recent South Island cluster and I was of the belief that it would get to arounnd the 30 case mark or more as it is the Delta variant.

We have now exceeded that number with 3 community cases confirmed in Wellington, but hopefully we won't see it rise to the modelled levels of 50 to 120 cases. 

If any country can contain this it has to be NZ, due to our geography, strict controls, effective govenment responses, and compliant population. 

New South Wales has seen a significant increase in case numbers exceeding 800 new cases a day with some forecasts expecting that figure to rise over 2,000. That cluster essentially started with one shuttle driver.

Our other neighbours in Fiji are also not faring well which only proves the point that being an island nation does not in and of itself mean containing the virus is any easier. 

I believe that as a nation, we are in a good position to beat this and am grateful to all who are abiding by the lockdown rules. 

Wherever you are, whether it be NZ or Mexico, I hope you are safe!

To keep this Leica related, I do wish I had a 90mm Macro Elmar right now. During last year's Level 4 lockdown, I discovered the joys of macro photography (on my Olympus system). We are surrounded by a plethora of interesting little details that we often overlook, and photgraphing them can be a lot of fun. Do any of you have a Leica (or Leica compatible) macro lens, if so please post a picture taken with it as I'd love to see them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

Wherever you are, whether it be NZ or Mexico, I hope you are safe!

Yes, safe in Mexico, thank you! It looks like our trip to NZ won't happen until 2022. No problem, there will be the right time to visit.

24 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

I do wish I had a 90mm Macro Elmar right now. During last year's Level 4 lockdown, I discovered the joys of macro photography (on my Olympus system). We are surrounded by a plethora of interesting little details that we often overlook, and photgraphing them can be a lot of fun. Do any of you have a Leica (or Leica compatible) macro lens, if so please post a picture taken with it as I'd love to see them.

It's not for me with M, everything that is longer than 50mm. I love my M system for the approach, the minimalism, the essence. When I think of sports photography, macro, level 3 landscapes, etc., TBH, I don't believe M can help me or make me happy. If it's Leica, maybe SL. Or just mirrorless (Sony, Canon). But when it's about 35mm, storytelling and documentary, not shallow DoF, minimal gear, I always think with M.

Between you and me, But if Leica tomorrow decides to give me (because next year will be my birthday) any 90mm ever made today, I would choose the 90/4 Macro Elmar. For sure. Only 230gr and 39 filters, super sharp, yes, please. But I don't really get the 90 frame lines.

Actually, I thoroughly love only 35mm frame lines. For the other FL, there is always something I don't like, lol

Edited by Dennis

@Dennis I'm glad to hear you are doing well and I am looking forward to your eventual visit to NZ.

I was emailed a city councillor this morning and only just realised that he has been a prominent Wellington photographer and that I admired his work when I was in my early 20s. I believe he may have a Leica as a personal camera, which would mean I may have a Wellington Leica buddy. One of my new recruits will be getting an SL2 soon, so 2022 is a good time to visit and we should have a bigger community.

I have a Leica 90mm lens but that Macro Elmar is the dream, and it shall be mine one day.

I'm loving the CV21/4 and am awaiting delivery of a CV21/25mm metal viewfinder. I'm loving it so much that I'm tempted to eventually get a 15mm as well.

As previously mentioned, I am a big fan of your photography, and think it should have greater exposure (excuse the pun). I showed my partner some of your photos and she asked when my photos would be that good. I responded by saying it would be helpful if I had an attractive model, and asked when her sister was coming back to NZ. I'm lucky she appreciates my sense of humour!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

As previously mentioned, I am a big fan of your photography, and think it should have greater exposure (excuse the pun). I showed my partner some of your photos and she asked when my photos would be that good. I responded by saying it would be helpful if I had an attractive model, and asked when her sister was coming back to NZ. I'm lucky she appreciates my sense of humour!

haha, this was funny. And yes, sense of humor is key, for everything, kudos for you. Thank you again for your nice words.

39 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

I have a Leica 90mm lens but that Macro Elmar is the dream, and it shall be mine one day.

Yes, it will be. When it will be the moment. Then post a few pictures please 🙂

42 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

I was emailed a city councillor this morning and only just realised that he has been a prominent Wellington photographer and that I admired his work when I was in my early 20s. I believe he may have a Leica as a personal camera, which would mean I may have a Wellington Leica buddy. One of my new recruits will be getting an SL2 soon, so 2022 is a good time to visit and we should have a bigger community.

Good news. Prepare the community for all Leica people to join it. Awesome.

51 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

@Dennis I'm glad to hear you are doing well and I am looking forward to your eventual visit to NZ.

I'm loving the CV21/4 and am awaiting delivery of a CV21/25mm metal viewfinder. I'm loving it so much that I'm tempted to eventually get a 15mm as well.

As previously mentioned, I am a big fan of your photography, and think it should have greater exposure (excuse the pun). I showed my partner some of your photos and she asked when my photos would be that good. I responded by saying it would be helpful if I had an attractive model, and asked when her sister was coming back to NZ. I'm lucky she appreciates my sense of humour!

Simon's only Leica is a Huawei P something.  He's a committed Nikon user ... 🤪

Edited by IkarusJohn

@IkarusJohn I emailed him this morning to say thanks for his support at a committee hearing. I think he adds a much needed balance to our council.  He has still been an inspiration to me as a photographer, but as an ex-Nikon shooter myself, perhaps I can return the favour and inspire him to make a change or at least an addition.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

58 minutes ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

@IkarusJohn I emailed him this morning to say thanks for his support at a committee hearing. I think he adds a much needed balance to our council.  He has still been an inspiration to me as a photographer, but as an ex-Nikon shooter myself, perhaps I can return the favour and inspire him to make a change or at least an addition.

Hahaha, good luck!

6 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

Do any of you have a Leica (or Leica compatible) macro lens, if so please post a picture taken with it as I'd love to see them.

Hi, I'm an ex-pat Kiwi living in London at the moment.  Regrettably meeting up is not possible for me at the moment for obvious reasons but the grand plan is to return to the land of the long white cloud after the pandemic is under control.

Leica made exceptional macro lenses for their R-mount cameras, which can of course be used with the M240 or M10 with a Visoflex.  Two R-mount macro lenses of particular note are the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R, and the 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R and the latter has often been called the finest macro lens ever made for 35mm format although I leave that to others to determine.

Here's a couple of pictures, the second a 100% crop from the first, that I took with the 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R and a 2x APO-Extender-R on a Canon 5D MkII before the SL range appeared.  I'm still astonished by the resolution of this lens and the emergence of the third mozzie in the crop.

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R is big for the M10 and I would probably use the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R, which is more compact, in preference.  (Not as compact as the 90/4 Macro-Elmar-M of course.) Before the SL series arrived I used the 100 on an R8 and an R9 and on a Canon 5D MkII but then used it on the SL601 and now the SL2-S.

I have used the 100 on the M240 and (now) my M10 and as long as you support the lens from underneath with your left hand it's usable if a little ungainly.  I'm not convinced that the M10's Visoflex 020 is quite up to the job in terms of resolution though.  Just my opinion of course.

Pete.

The Visoflex is a bit disappointing for NZ$800 and while I bought one, I do avoid using it where possible. 

There's speculation that another one will be coming out for the M11 and it will be backwards compatible for the M10, but there's nothing concrete. I don't think I can justify getting one in any case.

Hopefully, it will be a bit smaller, with better resolution, won't drain the battery as quickly, and will have a quicker refresh between shots.

It looks like we will be taking a temporary pay-cut again soon so I shouldn't really be buying anything new until all this blows over. Besides, by the time a macro lens gets delivered to me, we will have beaten Delta and I'll be free to practice more with my ultra-wide. 

Edited by Harvard Kiwi
I need to learn to proof read before hitting save

@farnz After being inspired by you (or lead astray) I was looking on TradeMe at lenses. I didn't manage to find either of the macro R lenses but I did find a nice Elmarit-R 135/2.8 which I just purchased tonight. I was looking at the R lens image thread and saw that R lenses appear to be quite popular with Kiwis and thought I'd join the club and get a nice bit of German Mandler-designed Leica glass.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello,  my name is Bevan, and when looking today for a Leica photography club I found this thread. I’d be interested in meeting fellow users in Auckland.  I’ve created a group on MeetUp…Check out Leica Club NZ on Meetup https://meetup.com/leica-club-nz 

It is currently pending approval 

Hoping it draws people in, very happy to look at incorporating it in anything you’re doing in the same vein. 

Edited by Pihafan