Leica New Zealand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone aware of any Leica communities in New Zealand?

If not, I'm hoping this thread will attract fellow Leica users in NZ and  we can build a little sub-community where we can share our passion for Leica equipment and photography. Perhaps it will eventually include community meet-ups, classifieds, as well as discussions around places of interest.

I live in Wellington and I'm yet to meet another Leica shooter in the real world, so this would be nice.

It would also be great to hear from people who have visited NZ, as well as others that are planning on visiting when border restrictions ease.

Kia ora Harvard, I'm in Christchurch but have family in Wellington (where I grew up) and it would be great to meet up next time we're in town. Keep in touch! 

(This could probably be moved to the Events and Members Meetings sub forum.)

• Like 1

Hi David,

I read a few of your posts earlier today and hoped you would respond. My name's James and it's a pleasure [virtually] meeting you. You have some interesting content on here and I found myself agreeing with your points of view.

I'm not sure how to move this thread but am happy for it to go wherever it is most appropriate.

I was in Christchurch just over a month ago and loved the city. I wandered around taking photos of the street art, the architecture, and the trams. 

Unfortunately, my trip was cut short due to Wellington moving to Level 2 and I needed to be back for work. My partner is having a conference in Christchurch in November, so I hope to get to know you better.

• Like 1

Guest BlackBarn

Hi James,

NZ based but live in Russell and tend to stick to my locality although I was in Wellington last week attending the Parkin Prize. According to the Leica adds in TradMe there are a few others around and I know of another quite local. Do keep me informed if you get anything up and running.

Cheers

pete.

@Sandokan Perhaps I will bump into them as I wander around the city or Hamilton Gardens. My partner is from Hamilton and we need to head back up there soon to visit her family. 

@Dennis Hopefully, our borders will be open by then. I'm sure we can arrange something while you are here. At the very least, you'll have one contact in Wellington and I'm happy to share some of the better places to go in NZ. I have a new member on my team you runs luxury photography tours so I'm hoping to get an idea of other places to add to my list. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 21mm and read your thread on lens options so it's good to hear from you.

@BlackBarn Russell is a beautiful part of the country. I've only been in Northland briefly but it's definitely a place I'd like to head to again. I don't blame you for not venturing too far from home. I'm regularly flying to Auckland for work so I may take some leave while up there and head North for a few days with my camera. I've purchased two bits of Leica gear off TradeMe but both were people selling some of their gear before heading back to their home countries. I'm sure there are more of us!  It's also a shame we missed each other last week as I'm at the QT regularly and have met Chris Parkin and his wife on a few occasions. Did you have an entry?

@stuny Thank you very much for moving this thread to where it should be. I looked through a list of places to post it but missed the events and member meetings section so I apologise for that oversight. Thank you also for leaving a link in the previous spot. Hopefully, we can build more of a community here and also help anyone who is coming to visit.

For most, Wellington wouldn't be a good place to be this morning. It's very cold, raining heavily, and the city is living up to its reputation as the windiest in the world. But for me, I'm about to get up, grab my camera and head to the windiest intersection in the city to photograph commuters struggling to cross the road. I'm hoping for some interesting shots!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Harvard Kiwi Awesome, thank you 🙏 I was reading last week about best time to travel to NZ, and November doesn't look bad, with average of 14-20°

It would be our first trip in a while. The choice it's between to come back in Japan or travel to NZ, of course for the first time. We will decide in September if we can make it happen. Any ideas of where your borders will open? I know it doesn't depend on you 🤣

And yes, the 21mm mighty question. I just posted an update 🙂 

Edited by Dennis

Guest BlackBarn

@Harvard Kiwi  Well there’s beautiful parts of New Zealand everywhere …visually its an absolutely stunning country.  The little town of Russell and the Bay of Islands is just another example and although we have only been living in N.Z for four years we both feel very privileged being here. Look forward to seeing you up here.

I know of another Leica user in Kerikeri and I briefly bumped into someone with a lovely looking M9 and impressive  lens - which I couldn’t make out - in Auckland a couple of weeks ago at Eden Park. So no surprise - there’s Leica’s around.  

Yes I have a piece at the Parkin show ….well worth going to if you find the time.

@Dennis not certain when the boarders will be open but it’s a ‘don’t hold your breath’ thing at the moment but when they do  it will be great having  you over here….I’m also a fan of your work!

Edited by BlackBarn
Z

19 minutes ago, BlackBarn said:

@Dennis not certain when the boarders will be open but it’s a ‘don’t hold your breath’ thing at the moment but when they do  it will be great having  you over here….I’m also a fan of your work!

Mr. Harvard, thank you, I appreciate it! I don't know anything about NZ, except what I read, see, and a few random talks in years with Kiwi people. They are always easy-going people, good energy. My wife and I are very interested in visiting a few parts of the country and feel/live like locals (with a bit of tourists mood) for a little while. Not sure, maybe three weeks? I already follow the thread. And If the trip will happen, I'm sure I will share at least a good launch with good company, who probably will have a Leica on the table 🙂 

• Like 1

@Dennis None of us really know when the borders will properly open but they are unlikely to be open until some time in 2022 at thus stage. We have been trying to open a travel bubble with our neighbours in Australia and that has been extremely unsuccessful. NZ has been behind in vaccination numbers due in large part to taking a delayed shipment of vaccines so that other nations who need it more urgently would have first access. This will likely contribute to a delay as we won't reach a high level of vaccinated people until the end of this year.

I'm glad you have had a positive experience with Kiwis and hope you find that I live up to the high standards my fellow Kiwis have set.

To everyone on here, please feel free to call me James.  My username is one I go by on a few forums by default, and while I am proud of my studies, I do at times feel that it is a bit pretentious.

• Like 1

NZ sits in a part of the Pacific Ocean heavily affected by equinox winds - I wouldn’t recommend coming here between September and December, unless you fancy some spring skiing.  February/March is more settled (it can snow in the Southern Alps in January). 

There are many Leica users about …

@Dennis I just looked at your website and was blown away by your photos. Over 300 shots and every single one of them was absolutely amazing! Like @BlackBarn, I'm definitely a fan of your work! 🏆

Hi @IkarusJohn, welcome to the thread. I've encountered a few of your posts and have enjoyed reading your level-headed and balanced responses. I travel to Auckland about once a month for work so it would be great to keep in touch and perhaps one day we'll even get to meet in-person. From briefly looking at your profile, I see you are a Barrister. I too have a background in law, so a law or Leica chat is always welcome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

@Dennis None of us really know when the borders will properly open but they are unlikely to be open until some time in 2022 at thus stage. We have been trying to open a travel bubble with our neighbours in Australia and that has been extremely unsuccessful. NZ has been behind in vaccination numbers due in large part to taking a delayed shipment of vaccines so that other nations who need it more urgently would have first access. This will likely contribute to a delay as we won't reach a high level of vaccinated people until the end of this year.

I'm glad you have had a positive experience with Kiwis and hope you find that I live up to the high standards my fellow Kiwis have set.

To everyone on here, please feel free to call me James.  My username is one I go by on a few forums by default, and while I am proud of my studies, I do at times feel that it is a bit pretentious.

Oh I see, thank you for sharing James. It would be the first opportunity to travel in a while but if it's not possible, there will be another chance soon I hope.

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

NZ sits in a part of the Pacific Ocean heavily affected by equinox winds - I wouldn’t recommend coming here between September and December, unless you fancy some spring skiing.  February/March is more settled (it can snow in the Southern Alps in January). 

There are many Leica users about …

I see. I thought weather was nice, I didn't know about super windy. And we are not ski people. So maybe it doesn't work November, for many reasons

1 hour ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

@Dennis I just looked at your website and was blown away by your photos. Over 300 shots and every single one of them was absolutely amazing! Like @BlackBarn, I'm definitely a fan of your work! 🏆

James, you made my day! Thank you so much. I'm so happy you liked what you found, I appreciate it 🙏 I would love to post more here but not everything is taken with Leica cameras. I'm working on it. I'm a Leica newbie, three years and half and counting. But this year I will add new items to the family, still refining details 🙂

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

There are many things I am grateful for when I think about my life in NZ. People for the most part are friendly, we have some beautiful scenery, good food and drinks, clean air, and we are pretty much COVID free.

The one thing that I have struggled with here is the availability of items for purchase. The used item market is naturally going to be smaller given our smaller population, but even new items through distributors can be difficult to get quickly.

One of my favourite camera stores is Progear in Newmarket, Auckland. It's a beautiful store with lots of cool stuff and friendly, helpful staff. While I love Progear, I do feel aggrieved that while they are the NZ Voigtlander distributors, a lot of their items are 'Special Order'.

For a regular authorised dealer, this would be more understandable but I feel that a distributor should hold stock and that placing an order for an item on their website shouldn't have a 6 week ETA. To me, being a regional distributor should carry some additional obligations along with the benefits the least of which should be to hold stock.

I understand items may sell out due to their popularity, but to not maintain stock as a standard business practice is disappointing. I also understand that maintaining stock on shelves is an expensive exercise. 

I'mIm just a little frustrated as the Australian distributor is prevented from sending items to us in NZ, which they do have in stock, and at a significantly cheaper price, because we have our own distributor.

I don't know if my expectations are unreasonable, and I'm certainly not going to kick up a fuss. I just wish we had better access.

Edited by Harvard Kiwi

On 8/7/2021 at 7:12 PM, Dennis said:

What if I travel w/ my wife to NZ this fall and not Leica community yet? 🤝

According to the news, no travel until 2022 😞 I can just get more excited for the future.

4 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

The one thing that I have struggled with here is the availability of items for purchase.

I perfectly understand your frustration. Here in Mexico, no Leica stores or official Voigt seller. It has to be all abroad, when traveling. The price for order RF items in MX is sometimes double than US price, sometimes more. And of course it doesn't work at all.