Rolleiflex - changing backs

mkur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning,

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I suppose that many Leica owners also happen to own a Rolleiflex.

Are Rolleiflex backs interchangable between cameras of the same type? I own a Rolleifex 3.5F with a glass plate back. Can I just exchange this back for a standard back and start shooting? Or would such a change require recalibration of the camera? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

---mk

Can't see why not... The Rolleifex TLRs, the later ones in particular, were made to be systems cameras, albeit quite limited, with interchangeable screens, filters etc. I'd think the backs of the F-series would have all been calibrated to fit other F-series bodies. I stand to be corrected, but it seems logical.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mkur said:

Good morning,

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I suppose that many Leica owners also happen to own a Rolleiflex.

Are Rolleiflex backs interchangable between cameras of the same type? I own a Rolleifex 3.5F with a glass plate back. Can I just exchange this back for a standard back and start shooting? Or would such a change require recalibration of the camera? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

---mk

Hi,

This is actually my first post at this forum but as I saw your question and can definitively answer it...

Firstly, not all backs are interchangeable between the various Rollei TLR types. Hence please do not assume any one you find will necessarily fit and work.

Secondly, it doesn't really matter. It's perfectly fine to use a back compatible with the optional plane glass, without a glass fitted. Whereas an ordinary Rolleiflex back for a 3.5F has adjustment for two pressure plate positions (6x6 & 35mm) the plane glass back, has three. The additional position is of course for 6x6 with a glass installed. 

Providing you have the pressure plate set to the ordinary 6x6 position—all you need to do is load a roll of 120, and enjoy imaging.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to the less common back for making single exposures on cut sheet, or glass negatives, then—yes, you are going to need either an ordinary back for that model or, if your particular 3.5F is equipped to use a film plane glass, (not all 3.5F sub types were) and you're interested in fitting one—a plane glass back with its distinctive hump.

Given that good condition Rolleiflex backs do not exactly grow on trees in 2021—if your particular example can take a plane glass—I would probably be content if I could find either an ordinary back, or a plane glass back that was not too unreasonably priced—whichever type presents itself, first.

In any event—no re-calibration of your camera body will be required, merely a compatible back (if applicable).

Best,

Brett Rogers

Edited by B Rogers
Extra information
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, mkur said:

Good morning,

---mk

Just looking on eBay and replacement backs aren't all that rare, there seems to be a good number around and not all that expensive, just make sure you get the one you need.