Air travel, scanners & film

oldwino

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s been over a year since I was last through an airport. Both my wife and I have gotten our Moderna Covid vaccinations, as has my just turned 80 year old mother. We are planning a visit, necessitating a pair of flights across the US. 
I am on a bit of a film kick of late, really enjoying the process and the cameras, so I would like to take my M2 and some rolls of film. Scanning at the security checkpoint, however, has me concerned. 

There was much talk about a new generation of carry-on baggage scanners that were to be introduced a few years back that would indeed fog your film. 
Were many of these actually installed? On My last few trips just before the Covid-times, I was able to pass through security without seeing any of the new machines, and was occasionally stopped for additional inspection because of the hunk of metal in my bag (aka Leica), often amusing the agents, some of whom actually knew what a film camera was and how it worked  

What is the current state of affairs here in the US regarding security, hand inspection of film, traveling with film gear? 
Hand inspections still the recommended position, or should I just resign myself to taking a digital and not worry about it?

Slightly off your question, but something I have been considering if and when we get to travel again, maybe an option for you.

In my case we will travel from here to Europe, and I planned on not taking any film from here, but buying it once I get to Europe. (or buy some and have it delivered to the first place we stay at).

Second part of the plan was to consider having it processed in Europe before traveling home. At worst bring a roll or two home which didn't make the developing tank.

Could that work for you, buy at the destination, shoot it, get it processed and return home with the negs?

Gary

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Slightly off your question, but something I have been considering if and when we get to travel again, maybe an option for you.

In my case we will travel from here to Europe, and I planned on not taking any film from here, but buying it once I get to Europe. (or buy some and have it delivered to the first place we stay at).

Second part of the plan was to consider having it processed in Europe before traveling home. At worst bring a roll or two home which didn't make the developing tank.

Could that work for you, buy at the destination, shoot it, get it processed and return home with the negs?

Gary

It certainly “could”, and it is something I would strongly consider if I were traveling overseas. But in my case, I have a bulk roll of Kodak Vision 3 250D that I am shooting with, so I would be taking my own, home-rolled, canisters. 
Of course, that too could raise an eyebrow or two at the security checkpoint.

https://thedarkroom.com/bringing-film-airport-security-x-rays-film/

Hope this link helps. In summary;

1: CT scanner will damage any film, X scanner will damage ISO 800 and above. Check-in scanner is stronger than carry-on scanner.

2: Take film in carry-on, make it easily accessible, request hand-check for your film. 

3: In the worst scenario if you can't avoid bad scanning, your pictures are still viewable, albeit with some special effect. Take it as part of your travel memory.

• Like 2

I last travelled in November 2019. I just told security that the new CT scanners fogged the film no matter what the film speed, and requested a hand inspection. They were happy to accommodate my request.  

Go ahead and take the M2 and some film.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the States, at least, TSA is rolling out the CT scanners to more and more airports. They're easy to spot - they're the size and shape of small turbine engines. After getting my gut scanned in a CT scanner (in a hospital) a few months back, there's no way I'd allow any film through one. They eat the "X-ray-proof" bags for lunch, so don't bother buying one.

In the US, FAA regs give you the right to a hand inspection of your film, regardless of the type of scanner used (I didn't bother asking with the old-school Rapiscan machines), but be sure to allow some extra time for that. Taking the film out of the box and having it all in a clear plastic bag facilitates matters - they generally do a swab for explosives residue. Outside the US, you can request a hand inspection, and sometimes you'll get one.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, Chuck Albertson said:

... Outside the US, you can request a hand inspection, and sometimes you'll get one.

On my way into Cancun, Mexico, I was able to get my film hand-checked through all inspection points.

Returning home via Cancun airport was a different story, although it may have been due to a language barrier. I've been boning up on my espanol for my next trip down there.

Flying domestic in the U.S., you should have no problem getting a hand inspection. I even recall seeing some signage to that effect around the scanners.