Non-digital look 28mm lens

startover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is PP in Nick's Collection, no need for Lomo lenses. Taken with M8, M-E 220 and regular RF lenses:

And here is darkroom print from paper negative taken with M-E 220.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Here is PP in Nick's Collection, no need for Lomo lenses. Taken with M8, M-E 220 and regular RF lenses:

I'd love to be able to get this look on some prints. These images are really great. Sorry for the newbee question, how did you capture these images? How did you make these prints?

Thanks a lot for sharing these.

1 hour ago, Aryel said:

I'd love to be able to get this look on some prints. These images are really great. Sorry for the newbee question, how did you capture these images? How did you make these prints?

Thanks a lot for sharing these.

Third one is darkroom print from M-E 220 negative. Take image with digital camera, convert the image to the negative, print, use contact print in the darkroom. First two are just Nick's collection processing. 

9 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Third one is darkroom print from M-E 220 negative. Take image with digital camera, convert the image to the negative, print, use contact print in the darkroom. First two are just Nick's collection processing. 

Thanks a lot. I really like the two images. I don't have a digital camera anymore. I guess the most difficult is to 'see' the scene. 

Thanks a lot

7 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

These look nice and very Nik Collectionish.... 

I've had great success with Silver Effex, being able to reproduce the BW film look effortlessly with this excellent plugin. 

For color emulation, I've been struggling a little more. These "extreme" effect, as shown in your example, are quite easy to achieve. The grain is also nicely made in general. But if I want to emulate the Kodak Portra 400 look, my digital photos don't quite look like my M6 photos. 

Have you had more luck with more neutral film emulations such as Portra ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I've had great success with Silver Effex, being able to reproduce the BW film look effortlessly with this excellent plugin

That you can get great pictures, no doubt. That you can make it feel film-like, no doubt. That you can reproduce it, no offense, but not going to happen any time soon. Beside, different films look completely different (without even getting into developers) so what does it mean reproduce?

Ps: I forgot to say, that I do not say or think that one is better than the other. I just say that they are different.

Edited by Aryel
Added PS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, Aryel said:

That you can get great pictures, no doubt. That you can make it feel film-like, no doubt. That you can reproduce it, no offense, but not going to happen any time soon. Beside, different films look completely different (without even getting into developers) so what does it mean reproduce?

Semantics. And since we’re on semantics, I’d suggest that we exchange your choice of words. 
You say I can make it feel like film but not look like film. I would say it’s the other way around. I can make it look like film, but never will it feel like film. 

No offense taken. 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Semantics. And since we’re on semantics, I’d suggest that we exchange your choice of words. 
You say I can make it feel like film but not look like film. I would say it’s the other way around. I can make it look like film, but never will it feel like film. 

No offense taken. 

I'll stick to what I wrote (it is fuzzy enough). My only disagreement was about the word 'reproduce'. So, yes, semantics...

In any case, let's not derail the thread. Happy to discuss this further on another thread or privately. It is very subjective, and would need some images. The best would be to sit with a few beers, discuss some prints and some images on a computer!

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven said:

These look nice and very Nik Collectionish.... 

I've had great success with Silver Effex, being able to reproduce the BW film look effortlessly with this excellent plugin. 

For color emulation, I've been struggling a little more. These "extreme" effect, as shown in your example, are quite easy to achieve. The grain is also nicely made in general. But if I want to emulate the Kodak Portra 400 look, my digital photos don't quite look like my M6 photos. 

Have you had more luck with more neutral film emulations such as Portra ? 

I'm not expert on film emulsion to dublicate particular look. I also have free, old version of DxO and it is stand alone application where many color films presets are available. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 1:42 PM, startover said:

Thank you, all.  I have the 28 Summmaron but it hasn't gotten much time lately.  This morning I was looking at The Blue Room by Eugene Richards--a rare use of color by him--and was taken by the "soft" quality of his photographs.  It is hard to tell where the magic comes from--choice of lens or darkroom/post-production.  I am not able to replicate that look even with my film M.  So I am looking to see which lever to turn--a change of lens seemed the easiest.

Use the Summaron more. I bought one, almost on impulse, thinking maybe I had gotten carried away by the retro look of the physical lens itself. I quickly became enamored with how the lens draws. Of course it’s widest aperture is rather small so a Summicron is going to be preferred in low light, but how I love that summaron...

Re: the 28mm lens you are after: My vote goes for Walter' Mandler's Leitz Canada 28 Elmarit-M (Version III.)
Re: the look - as there is plenty of software to "hipsterize" the digital into non-digital look, there is still the one, the only and the unsurpassed non-digital look... use the film negative and scan it. You *can't* beat that.

On 2/9/2021 at 1:42 PM, startover said:

Thank you, all.  I have the 28 Summmaron but it hasn't gotten much time lately.  This morning I was looking at The Blue Room by Eugene Richards--a rare use of color by him--and was taken by the "soft" quality of his photographs.  It is hard to tell where the magic comes from--choice of lens or darkroom/post-production.  I am not able to replicate that look even with my film M.  So I am looking to see which lever to turn--a change of lens seemed the easiest.

Hi Startover, I think the answer to your question is - the magic comes from the quality of the light he is shooting in that series.

Look again at the images in the Blue Room but this time with an emphasis on the light falling on his subject, then contrast it with Red Ball of Sun Slipping Down

https://eugenerichards.com/red-ball-of-a-sun-slipping-down-1

This picture represents the look that I want out of my M Monochrom. Panatomic-X in Microdol, ~1978.

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 1