Silkypix pro 10

vor 11 Minuten schrieb isleofgough:

I find it slower and less powerful than Capture One Pro or Lightroom. It seems made for people who don't understand photo editing.

Thank you. What aspect(s) made you conclude the remark about not understanding photo editing'

I looked at some tutorials and was confused about the terminology used.

Silkypix tends to use lay terms for adjustments and lacks some of the common features on the other programs, plus it is slow. In contrast, most programs have curves and levels, shadow and black details and highlights and white details, white point and black point, standard white balance controls and eyedroppers, sharpening controls, clarity, vibrance and saturation, ICC profiles, lens corrections, etc. It is easy to go between Lightroom and capture one, for instance, as they have similar controls. I don't currently have silkypix on my computer (I used it and then deleted it), so I can't give specifics.

Edited by isleofgough

Silkypix can often give you good results. It has the basic exposure and color controls to do the job. It does not have a brightness slider; instead, you move the contrast center of the histogram and adjust the amount of contrast. This interesting approach makes you look at the histogram.

Some of the terms are quirky. Tint is called color deflection, for example. The help on the website is in Japenglish.

I use a moderate power Windows 10 computer; the program is speedy enough, at least for individual image work. I don't do massive batch processing.

I never found a place to specify the camera color profile. When I had a .dcp or .icc profile for a camera that I wanted to use, I couldn't. So I stopped using the program. Occasionally, though, it is good for a comparison with the result from another raw developer program, and winds up being preferable.

No matter what raw developer I use, no matter how much it tries to provide everything you will need, at least for global adjustments, I always export a .tif into Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Color. It is a general purpose substitute for Photoshop.

This shot went through Silkypix and PWP.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, isleofgough said:

Silkypix tends to use lay terms for adjustments and lacks some of the common features on the other programs, plus it is slow. In contrast, most programs have curves and levels, shadow and black details and highlights and white details, white point and black point, standard white balance controls and eyedroppers, sharpening controls, clarity, vibrance and saturation, ICC profiles, lens corrections, etc. It is easy to go between Lightroom and capture one, for instance, as they have similar controls. I don't currently have silkypix on my computer (I used it and then deleted it), so I can't give specifics.

are you serious ?? its actually a very powerful software and v10 is much faster than lightroom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 13 Stunden schrieb isleofgough:

Thank you for explaining your view. I looked at the few tutorials, but could see the icons clearly as they were very small (not like the overview in the post by Frame-it).

Will do some more researching.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb CharlesL:

Silkypix can often give you good results. It has the basic exposure and color controls to do the job. It does not have a brightness slider; instead, you move the contrast center of the histogram and adjust the amount of contrast. This interesting approach makes you look at the histogram.

Some of the terms are quirky. Tint is called color deflection, for example. The help on the website is in Japenglish.

I use a moderate power Windows 10 computer; the program is speedy enough, at least for individual image work. I don't do massive batch processing.

I never found a place to specify the camera color profile. When I had a .dcp or .icc profile for a camera that I wanted to use, I couldn't. So I stopped using the program. Occasionally, though, it is good for a comparison with the result from another raw developer program, and winds up being preferable.

No matter what raw developer I use, no matter how much it tries to provide everything you will need, at least for global adjustments, I always export a .tif into Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Color. It is a general purpose substitute for Photoshop.

This shot went through Silkypix and PWP.

Thank you for your answer and example picture.

vor 48 Minuten schrieb frame-it:

are you serious ?? its actually a very powerful software and v10 is much faster than lightroom

Thank you, first time I can see the icons clearly. Do you use this programme yourself?

Thank you, Frame-it, for attaching a picture. That is a good illustration of its nonstandard terms (the sharpening menu is a good example) and strange way of handling things (black level in contrast but no white level). It might work well for some but that is why I don't use it. For all the features, there are several core features missing. I'm surprised you found it fast, as that was not my experience.

Edited by isleofgough

9 hours ago, isleofgough said:

Thank you, Frame-it, for attaching a picture. That is a good illustration of its nonstandard terms (the sharpening menu is a good example) and strange way of handling things (black level in contrast but no white level). It might work well for some but that is why I don't use it. For all the features, there are several core features missing. I'm surprised you found it fast, as that was not my experience.

the tools are all there.

yes, some of the names are different

If a certain program works for a person is highly subjective. As for every software a try before buy is recommended. I tried it a couple of years ago because it was the recommended raw converter for the strangs Fuji X-Trans sensor that most raw converters have probles with. I personally think it has a horrible user interface

• 1 month later...

I used it a while back when I shot with fuji

(I wrote a how too guide on my website for the free version)

it has the common tools and a few quite cool things (like a colour cast remover, and different types of highlight recovery, and the ability to adjust demosaicing sharpness and different contrast sliders.)

but it’s not as fully featured as Lr or C1

the worse thing is trying to figure out the language they use to describe things.

to be frank they assume the end user is proficient in the theory of editing digital photos 

for example the colour cast tool in NIK works like select remove (say) red colour cast and press go

in SilkyPix they expect you too know that you need to add green to remove red (although to be fair the tool is presented as the colour wheel)

anyways I haven’t used it since going leica.

they’ll be a free trial