Faking Reality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish people would stop saying that a camera is just a tool, brexit means brexit, he is what he is, ... I would say tautologies are tedious if it weren’t one.

The reason there isn’t much critiqueing going on in the forum is that we don’t come from a single culture. Leica’s products are what we have in common not what we like to look at. Maybe that would change if there were specific treads for specific tendencies - step this way those who demand pre-visualisation, a subject and colourless pictures taken with the aim of telling a story. Etc.

It would be a good idea if all cultural (ie not science, maths or engineering) artefacts were mulched after fifty years. Imagine all the astonishing sculptures of bulls made from bicycle parts that are not being produced because Picasso’s example is hogging the stage.

My new iphone took a snapshot in low light that looked exactly like the cover of a Ladybird book or Famous Five cover. Amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exodies said:

It would be a good idea if all cultural (ie not science, maths or engineering) artefacts were mulched after fifty years. Imagine all the astonishing sculptures of bulls made from bicycle parts that are not being produced because Picasso’s example is hogging the stage.

Assuming you are serious, and did not simply forget the smiley for "irony/sarcasm"...... ;)

Why is it acceptable to waste one's time (and mine, as the audience) "reinventing the wheel" in cultural efforts, but not in STEM efforts?

Art and culture should, exactly like science, involve "standing on the shoulders of giants" - and constantly reaching higher.

Fortunately, there are "cultural artefacts" that get rightfully mulched by the passage of 50 or 100 years, and sink back into the mud on the bottom of the cultural ocean. They are the unoriginal, the pedestrian, the pointless and the ignorable.

Equally fortunately, they can often be recognized as such even at the moment of creation, and ignored from the beginning. I find this a great time-saver.

;)

7 hours ago, adan said:

Assuming you are serious, and did not simply forget the smiley for "irony/sarcasm"...... ;)

Why is it acceptable to waste one's time (and mine, as the audience) "reinventing the wheel" in cultural efforts, but not in STEM efforts?

Art and culture should, exactly like science, involve "standing on the shoulders of giants" - and constantly reaching higher.

Fortunately, there are "cultural artefacts" that get rightfully mulched by the passage of 50 or 100 years, and sink back into the mud on the bottom of the cultural ocean. They are the unoriginal, the pedestrian, the pointless and the ignorable.

Equally fortunately, they can often be recognized as such even at the moment of creation, and ignored from the beginning. I find this a great time-saver.

;)

I’m serious. 
For STEM efforts it’s obvious that progress can be made probably for ever. For art and culture change happens but you would have to make a case that it’s progress; it isn’t obvious.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jeff S said:

Adams reinterpreted the printing, as shown here over a 34 year period, continually introducing more contrast and drama.

https://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/anseladams/arrington/arrington_adams.html

I prefer the earlier renderings.  The latter versions are generally preferred by the average viewer.

Jeff

Turns out that the entire David Arrington collection (referenced above) is up for auction at Sotheby’s on December 14.  Included is the extremely rare 1941/42 print of Adams’ Moonrise, which has a more open, delicate tonality than Adams’ later dramatic and contrasty renderings. Initial auction estimate is $700,000 - $1Million. The online catalog presentation includes an audio recording of Adams discussing the circumstances surrounding his making of the picture, which he has also written about.  The collection includes a multitude of other significant Adams’ works.

Jeff