6 bit coding on the cheap

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just managed to 6-bit code my Voigtlander lenses using a 'Sharpie'.

I made a paper template (will upgrade this device soon).

It was fun to do and it worked.

Using a back cap from the lens I cut out a circle and put it square on the back of a coded lens and made the marks where the code lines are then, slipped it over my Voigtlanders and following the chart, I managed to do the 21/1.8 as a 21 lux, the 35/1.2 as a 35 lux and my 75/1.5 as a 75 lux. The 10mm will have to remain bare.

Has anyone else done this, maybe another way, easier?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

You know when you read something and think .... 'I'll try that' that's what I did.

You are correct there is a slight flange on the Voigtlanders, that's good. I had a look at the replacement mounts but it starts to get complicated after that with alignment so I'll stick with the sharpie for now, it works. :)

Caveman style hahahaha

Edited by Marac
  • Like 1

This is a procedure you can use for lenses with a recessed area, like the newer Voigtlanders.

• The template is attached. Print actual size and cut out to use.
  • Paint only black areas. White areas are not needed.
  • Sharpies are not good. Use Matt Black Paint. The kind used by model makers (Airfix, Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya etc.)
  • Just a light dab enough to fill within the recessed area.

Template.pdf

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey sharpie worked for me, and it was only a bit of fun after being locked up for almost a year.

I wouldn't want the chance of any paint going inside my camera, paint cracks, if you want it done properly then I suggest using the proper mounts.

5 hours ago, Marac said:

Hey sharpie worked for me, and it was only a bit of fun after being locked up for almost a year.

I wouldn't want the chance of any paint going inside my camera, paint cracks, if you want it done properly then I suggest using the proper mounts.

Modern high quality paint only cracks if the substrate moves, such as wood expanding or contracting, and given the lens flange isn't made of the same material as a garden shed even Leica themselves decided paint is better than a Sharpie. It isn't that a permanent marker can't work, but going back many years in discussions on coding people would blithely say 'oh I just used a Sharpie', and around the world people would listen and knew what was meant. The difficulty is that not all permanent markers are created equal, and some worked and some didn't, some people were lucky, but some had to try many brands, some even used a Sharpie and it still didn't work, and few markers stayed on the lens flange longer than a day or two if you were changing lenses. Hence the advice to use the type of  high quality hobby paint as listed by rramesh in the post above when marking a flange with the rebate or adapters with coding pits machined into them.

I like the "external marking targets" approach - I ran across it somewhere else in the past year as well. Good idea.

For the record, I had a couple of Voigtlander lenses with the nice protected valley or rebate, and the Sharpie™ markings I added there lasted at least 18 months (still functioning when I swapped for newer versions).

But it is a fair question - since the cameras' detection system is infrared-based - whether any particular pen or pigment will be appropriately opaque to infrared light. The real Sharpie™ is, although I usually overwrite a second layer once the first has dried.

Edited by adan

17 hours ago, 250swb said:

Modern high quality paint only cracks if the substrate moves, such as wood expanding or contracting, and given the lens flange isn't made of the same material as a garden shed even Leica themselves decided paint is better than a Sharpie. 

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Apparently sharpie coding lenses becomes unreliable after the M9 series cameras so maybe this could explain some people having non-runners.

I coded mine for fun, not being particularly accurate but having good results with every lens I 'coded'.

I was very surprised to see some people really having no luck using the sharpie and decided to do a little research, well, for some reason or another, after the M9 the self-coding options become very unreliable, and in almost all cases resulted in failure, this would explain the Gentleman with the M10M who had no luck. 

Just picked up a gorgeous Leica M 90mm E46 M-Elmarit but I will not be using a sharpie on this lens as there is no recess. I will look into changing the mount and decide if it is worthwhile.

• 1 year later...
Am 25.9.2020 um 21:39 schrieb Marac:

You know when you read something and think .... 'I'll try that' that's what I did.

You are correct there is a slight flange on the Voigtlanders, that's good. I had a look at the replacement mounts but it starts to get complicated after that with alignment so I'll stick with the sharpie for now, it works. :)

Caveman style hahahaha

You don't need to separate the dots, blocks also work fine. 

• Like 1