RRS SL2 plate on Gitzo

Gavin Cato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hey guys

I'm super rusty on tripods - it's been years.

I am  probably going to get this tripod ;

https://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/gitzo-gk2545t-82qd-series-2-traveler-carbon-fibre-tripod-with-center-ball-head

The plate by RRS for the SL2 - can it mount onto this setup, or do you need the actual RRS ball head?

Apologies for silly question. I'd like a RRS tripod but the cost to get one to Australia is pretty wild.

The Gitzo is a great tripod, I've been shooting with a variant of this for 15-20 years without any issues, lately I've been thinking of replacing it with a RRS tripod.  In the end I decided to stay with my aging but working perfectly two series, it has never failed me and the images are crisp.  Good technique is more important than the tripod in most circumstances.  The head should be fine, it says it is arca compatible, it appears to have a screw knob rather than a quick release and these are compatible with almost all variations of the arca plates.  This tripod should last a lifetime.  

I have that tripod without their ballhead and also a series 3 (also legs only) which is what I use every time in studio environment. Depending on how you mainly shoot, I think that the traveller is better suited as a light weight compromise option if you were hiking or packing light for air travel for example.

I use RRS Ballheads and L Brackets with those Gitzo legs. For the traveller a clamp with screw tighten for compactness but I much prefer the larger clamps with lever lock for ease, strength and security.

If you get an opportunity to try your SL2 with for example the 24-90 on a tripod, using a magnified view will show you the movement just from grasping the camera for example. It’s depressing when you think how stable your setup is! May not be important as a practical matter.

As an aside, you aren’t ex RAAF are you!??? Gavin Cato from Australia is a coincidence otherwise?

Edited by hoppyman
Clarity

5 hours ago, hoppyman said:

If you get an opportunity to try your SL2 with for example the 24-90 on a tripod, using a magnified view will show you the movement just from grasping the camera for example. It’s depressing when you think how stable your setup is! May not be important as a practical matter.

Novoflex makes the tripod adapter for that very reason, too much weight on the mount and cantilevered with the camera tripod mounted.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265615-REG/novoflex_astat_sl_tripod_collar_for_select.html

Any camera/tripod will show jiggling with hand placement on the setup, fortunately the 2 sec timer is time enough to achieve zero movement in all but the most extreme situations.