Sign in to follow this  
Caolan Brady

How many 35mm rolls will the Tetenal C41 Colortec 2.5l kit develop?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know it's stated as 40 x 35mm on the box but would it be possible to get more. I have heard other people say you can get double but I'm not quite sure.

Posted (edited)

The manual says, 16x35mm rolls if the films are under ISO200 and 12x35mm rolls if the films are over 400. This is per liter. I’ve heard the same, quite few people has developed many more than these numbers so am keen to hear what others say as well.

My only problem would be to keep its freshness probably as I’m planning to batch develop mines not to have any issue.

Edited by fatihayoglu

You can get more depending on how you use it. If you spread development over time you'll get on average what the box says within the bounds, if you do larger batches and fill the tank you'll get a bit more. For most people this means a bit of both and they can get more rolls from the kit unless you only shoot 400 ISO. Either way here is no harsh cut off point, the decline in effectiveness will initially be gentle towards the end of the chemicals life, so it makes sense to do a reference photo of a colour chart on one of the first rolls and another later. Whatever the instructions say is what Tetenal consider to be fully reliable where the first film is the same as the last, I've done twelve more beyond that before chickening out and not noticed a decline in quality. I've also made some big mistakes in timing and still thought the film looked good!

I have never got more, either from the 2.5 or the 5litre. The faster the ISO the greater the depletion - I used Lomography 800 at 400 a lot, and I'd say that depleted things at twice the rate. I also did not use colour fast enough not to suffer from depletion due to oxidation, and I also used it at 38C which definitely increased oxidation.

Make sure the bottles are completely sealed, keep rigorous notes of use from film speed, and if in doubt give extra time for developing and fixing on the assumption that it is oxidising. Frankly I gave up colour developing as I got utterly fed up with trying to keep everything at 38c for ever increasing times, agitating away, and then the last two rolls done at the same time were horrible. 

The cost is a meaningful benefit over sending away for external development, try to avoid the mindset of saving the odd penny and in the process not getting beautiful negatives - the real benefit. No external processor has ever got as good a negative as I did when doing it myself.

I process 4 rolls at a time and normally get 16 rolls out of the kit, a mix of 100 and 400 ISO. Although this is reliable I’ve not really experimented much, just found a pattern that works and stuck to it. Using a Jobo ATL-1500 makes the process automatic and routine.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

The manual says, 16x35mm rolls if the films are under ISO200 and 12x35mm rolls if the films are over 400. This is per liter. I’ve heard the same, quite few people has developed many more than these numbers so am keen to hear what others say as well.

My only problem would be to keep its freshness probably as I’m planning to batch develop mines not to have any issue.

Do you mean 16 for the 1 litre kit? The 2.5 litre kit states 40?

51 minutes ago, Caolan Brady said:

Do you mean 16 for the 1 litre kit? The 2.5 litre kit states 40?

Yes, I always check 1lt options. It makes sense for 2.5litre can develop 40.

16x2.5=40

5 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

Yes, I always check 1lt options. It makes sense for 2.5litre can develop 40.

16x2.5=40

Gotcha! 

I actually developed about 55 rolls today with the 2.5 kit and they all came out really nice. I'm scared to push even more though. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Caolan Brady said:

Gotcha! 

I actually developed about 55 rolls today with the 2.5 kit and they all came out really nice. I'm scared to push even more though. 

Wow, that’s really good actually, what films are you developing?

OTH that means I need to wait and collect more films before I start to develop :)

On that note, how do you keep your solutions fresh? What kind of bottles? Are you mixing in small quantities or the whole 2,5 litre?

Edited by fatihayoglu

I used Telenal C-41 Press 1L kit. I purchased years ago three kits. I still have one left. Last time I used second one I just stopped at 30+ roll. And it was in use, refrigerator storage for at least one year. So was the first one.

Film was just getting more and more grainy. 

One of the later rolls in this kit. Kodak Gold 200, I use this film most.

I still have an unopened pack of C41, along with RA4 print chemicals that I bought years ago, before I went back to black and white.

i never had enough finished rolls of film to justify mixing the C41, but the RA4 chemicals are very long lasting in the bottles, right down to the last dregs. Years ago I used Jessops C41 which was very good for just developing one roll at a time, but Jessops packed up a few years ago.

Trouble is that colour darkroom paper does not have a very long shelf life, I’ve still got some but the colours will have gone off by now, pink whites. If you believe in developing your own colour negative film then you should make your own darkroom prints as well.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, fatihayoglu said:

Wow, that’s really good actually, what films are you developing?

OTH that means I need to wait and collect more films before I start to develop :)

On that note, how do you keep your solutions fresh? What kind of bottles? Are you mixing in small quantities or the whole 2,5 litre?

A mixture of different ISO's but mainly between 200 and 400 and all 35mm. 

I actually run a business developing film and we mainly use a machine but have been so busy we've used tanks but we tend to keep the solution in plastic 5 litre tubs we go through a lot daily and we mix it all up, never been an issue. I had about 150 rolls of my own to get done so wanted to see how many I could get out of the 2.5l kit, they all came out great, but I would say 50 is the maximum now.