Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, iiiNelson said:

Probably not the lens for me (though I wouldn’t mind them doing a L-mount version of their 10-25/1.7 Lumix G lens) but it’ll probably pair nicely with the rumored midrange Lumix S camera as a kit lens. I can see them doing a S1X (rangefinder form factor) with this as the kit lens for $1500 and it would likely sell decently well I imagine.

I see a good candidate of a Q Vario. If Panasonic make it a fix lens full frame point and shoot.

10 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I see a good candidate of a Q Vario. If Panasonic make it a fix lens full frame point and shoot.

From what I understand it’ll be the kit lens to be used with the upcoming Lumix S5. Nice results for what it is but I already have the 24-105/4 and don’t see the need for this particular lens for me. I also didn’t care for the X Vario. Capable camera but it wasn’t for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 1:06 AM, mediafotografie said:

...I could test Panasonic's new 20-60mm with SL2 and SL 6012 since yesterday. It's a very versatile lens and a great enhancement for the entire  L-Mount system. Both SL bodies are very manageable with this lens.

Here are some examples:   https://adobe.ly/327f1YA

A perfect "walk around" lens with adequate IQ.

Looks perfectly adequate for casual use. For online use (Facebook and Instagram) there's not much need for more, unless you're after a specific shallow depth of field look. The wide angle views look nice; and I find something oddly comforting about having such a wide field of view in a compact zoom. There's a marked difference in quality between the 20-60 at 35mm and the APO Summicron, but there'd better be!

Imagine pairing the new S5 with an APO Summicron, the lens would be worth twice as much as the body, or more. But what a nice combination.

Edited by Archiver

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, Archiver said:

Looks perfectly adequate for casual use. For online use (Facebook and Instagram) there's not much need for more, unless you're after a specific shallow depth of field look. The wide angle views look nice; and I find something oddly comforting about having such a wide field of view in a compact zoom. There's a marked difference in quality between the 20-60 at 35mm and the APO Summicron, but there'd better be!

Imagine pairing the new S5 with an APO Summicron, the lens would be worth twice as much as the body, or more. But what a nice combination.

I have one and am delighted with it, small,light, very fast focusing ans sharp enough for me, indeed it handles and works so well on my SL I suspect it will stay on my camera for at least 90% of the time. Don

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

If anyone is looking for a 20-60:  Park cameras UK have a dozen 'as new' used lenses. My assumption is most are out of Panasonic S5 kits.

For £230, I thought it was worth giving it a go on my SL2-S ; even if, as reviews suggest, the lens needs to be stopped down for best corners.

My intention is to use it in bad weather when avoiding sensor dust gathered while changing lenses is more important the ultimate quality.

The 20-60 has considerable distortion at the wide end which is corrected in camera for jpegs and video, but not in the raw files. As a native Panasonic lens, it benefits from DFD focusing on Panasonic bodies, something that isn't available in Sigma or Leica L mount lenses, or adapted Canon lenses. And being native L mount, it makes continuous autofocus in video possible, which can't be done with adapted lenses, either.

It is a very useful lens, and despite what some may call a small aperture, it is a bit over the depth of field equivalent of f1.7-2.8 on micro four thirds. The PanaLeica 10-25mm f1.7 comes to mind, with a DoF equivalent of f3.4 on full frame. So the aperture is not as limiting as some might think, especially with the S5's excellent high ISO abilities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 10:04 PM, BernardC said:

Are you sure? DFD was first introduced on the SL.

I will need to look into the Leica side of things further, but Depth From Defocus was introduced with the Panasonic GH4 back in about 2014. It is limited to Panasonic lenses because it requires lens data specific to each lens that is referenced in the camera's firmware. If Leica have this system, it would be limited to Leica lenses. Panasonic's DfD does not work outside of Panasonic's own lenses, from what I understand.

26 minutes ago, Archiver said:

I will need to look into the Leica side of things further, but Depth From Defocus was introduced with the Panasonic GH4 back in about 2014. It is limited to Panasonic lenses because it requires lens data specific to each lens that is referenced in the camera's firmware. If Leica have this system, it would be limited to Leica lenses. Panasonic's DfD does not work outside of Panasonic's own lenses, from what I understand.

Just do a web search, you'll see lots of mentions that the SL uses Panasonic's DFD, in 2015.

My guess is that the data needed by DFD is stored in each lens' firmware, and is part of the L-Mount specifications.

• 3 months later...

I bought a s/h 'mint' Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm f3.5/5.6 from WEX last March for just £251 which compares very favourably with the £619 new price. I'm very pleased with the lens' performance. WEX often lists the lens at bargain prices and currently have several priced £179. No idea why the s/h price at WEX (and other dealers) is so £reasonable. The build quality is that of a 'kit lens' but mine's surviving frequent use; for 'grab and go' I prefer it to the SL 24-90mm. 

BW, dunk 

• Like 2