Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Announced

Probably not the lens for me (though I wouldn’t mind them doing a L-mount version of their 10-25/1.7 Lumix G lens) but it’ll probably pair nicely with the rumored midrange Lumix S camera as a kit lens. I can see them doing a S1X (rangefinder form factor) with this as the kit lens for $1500 and it would likely sell decently well I imagine.

"Designed for the modern content creator." Ahhh, there it is. It explains the 20mm wide end, to be used for handheld vlogging. The aperture range reminds me of older manual focus zooms lenses, but thanks to today's high ISO capabilities, smaller apertures are still useful in lower light.

When I think about it, the zoom range is what I use in travel, with a 21, 35 and 50 on the M9. The only drawback is the smaller apertures, as I use f2.8, f1.4 and f2 respectively on the primes. I can imagine using the 20-60 as a walkaround lens and a fast small prime for night shooting, like one of the upcoming f1.8 L mount primes from Panasonic, or a manual focus 35/1.4.

Edited by Archiver

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Simone_DF:

Honestly this looks like one of those crappy 18-55 standard kit lenses that come with your Canon or Nikon DSLR.

I really hope Tamron joins the L-mount and brings their small and fast range :(

The difference is that the APS-C kit lenses start with 27/28mm (calculated to full frame sensor) and this Panasonic starts with 20mm (Full Frame).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

I like the zoom range from 20 to 60. Really nice, but I assume the optical quality will not be near the Panasonic 24-105 so I don't know if that is a compromise I could live with.

The 20-60 is smaller and cheaper than the 25-105, which is smaller and cheaper than the Leica 24-90. It would surprise no one if performance went in that direction as well.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb BernardC:

The 20-60 is smaller and cheaper than the 25-105, which is smaller and cheaper than the Leica 24-90. It would surprise no one if performance went in that direction as well.

You know that this calculation is only valid within certain boundaries? Whenever Leica is on a lens, more money does not mean more quality compared to the top offerings of other brands. I have no idea if the Leica 24-90 is better on a test bench compared to the Panasonic 24-105. Is there a comparison somewhere on the internet?

21 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

Is there a comparison somewhere on the internet?

Being German (I presume, being from Bonn), you probably have access to thorough German-language reviews of both lenses. They usually do a much better job than English-language reviews.

Here is a quick summary from a Dutch photographer:

https://joerivanderkloet.com/update-is-the-panasonic-lumix-24-105-l-mount-any-good/

To summarize, it's not as "sharp" as the Leica, but it is smaller, and it focuses quite close. The differences are less important at smaller apertures.

The decision comes-down to cost, size, budget, handling, and personal preference. If you want absolute quality, you should buy fixed focal length lenses.

It is true that Leica lenses are often more expensive than other high-end lenses, but you get more than just a logo for your Euros. They sell consistently high quality products. Here is my analogy for today: it's like dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant. You will pay a lot, but it's unlikely that you will be served a bad meal. For some it's a worthwhile occasional expense, for others it is not. It's not a debate that will be resolved here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

...I could test Panasonic's new 20-60mm with SL2 and SL 6012 since yesterday. It's a very versatile lens and a great enhancement for the entire  L-Mount system. Both SL bodies are very manageable with this lens.

Here are some examples:   https://adobe.ly/327f1YA

A perfect "walk around" lens with adequate IQ.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb mediafotografie:

...I could test Panasonic's new 20-60mm with SL2 and SL 6012 since yesterday. It's a very versatile lens and a great enhancement for the entire  L-Mount system. Both SL bodies are very manageable with this lens.

Here are some examples:   https://adobe.ly/327f1YA

A perfect "walk around" lens with adequate IQ.

Thanks for posting. I'm still not 100% convinced by the image borders.....

...even portrait shoots are possible...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1