Cs6 “Creative Slide” 3-Bath Process

sblitz

I  pick up the film after find a good way to duplicate films into digital. I used to shoot almost solely slide films for color. and B&W for wet print, but now with film, I shoot mostly color negatives. I dont see much attraction of color slide any more. 

Color negatives are much easier to convert to digital files, and I prefer the B&W from color negatives with color channel adjust. For my taste, Kodak Ektar 100 + Portra can do anything that any other film can do.

Slide developer? thanks but no thanks.

30 minutes ago, fatihayoglu said:

Actually I found one. So the question is then, would which kit I use make any difference like in B&W processing? Whether it is Tetenal or Fuji or etc, does it make any difference?

I used to run Kodak E6 5L kit in Jobo, tried Tentenal small quantity. I preferred Kodak for the price. 

I don't recall much differences in IQ, but I didn't do serious comparison. I doubt. It would be dominated by my shooting and processing.

Unless you play with creative processing, C41 and E6 are standard process, unlike BW that leaves a large room for processing variations..

Edited by Einst_Stein

Does Kodak still do E6 chemistry? I couldn’t find one, best thing I can find is Fuji E6 kit. So my question is, the infamous greenish Fuji colors aren’t coming from developers but coming from the film itself.

is it the same for C41 kits as well, the brand is not important as the color comes from the film itself?

11 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

Does Kodak still do E6 chemistry? I couldn’t find one, best thing I can find is Fuji E6 kit. So my question is, the infamous greenish Fuji colors aren’t coming from developers but coming from the film itself.

is it the same for C41 kits as well, the brand is not important as the color comes from the film itself?

Kodak E6 kit seems discontinued. I used it many years ago.

Not sure what means the best, but B&H Arista E6 I gal kit ($88)  and Edwin E6 1gal kit ($101), each for 32-rolls. They are more economical (per roll) than Rollei-Fuji-Hunt 5L kit ($175, 40 rolls).    

I guess the E6 glory is about to gone. With the scan/duplicate/digitalization, I prefer much more the Ektar and/or Portra's color pallet to Velvia. Color negatives have more dynamic range, easier to manipulate the color, and cheaper in both film and development. Good or bad, C41 color negative is the way to go.   

I would let E6 be gone without hard feeling.

Edited by Einst_Stein

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I guess the E6 glory is about to gone. With the scan/duplicate/digitalization, I prefer much more the Ektar and/or Portra's color pallet to Velvia. Color negatives have more dynamic range, easier to manipulate the color, and cheaper in both film and development. Good or bad, C41 color negative is the way to go.   

I would let E6 be gone without hard feeling.

If used only for creating digital images I could agree, but there is still something special about projected slides, and the new Ektachrome is very nice. The 120 slides are amazing.

There are things like test strips, dosimetry checks etc. My understading is, C41 and E6 developers are reusable up to X times, do you need to keep having some checks or are they ok to use up to those numbers. Especially if I invest in Fuji Hunt system, for E6, it is not very beneficial.

9 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

do you need to keep having some checks or are they ok to use up to those numbers

No checks, just keep a track of the number of rolls developed, and adjust the time accordingly. Usually, if you're reusing say a 1L kit, you have to add 2% for every roll of film developed. So if you have developed 5 rolls already, ad 10% of dev time for your 6th roll, and so on. Your kit will have specific instructions from the manufacturer about how much to increase time. Also, if used regularly, the chemistry doesn't fail suddenly, but gradually. The more rolls your develop over the capacity, slowly colours will start being a bit off etc., it's not like you'll get blank rolls. Manufacturers state the capacity, and from experience it's on the conservative side, you can easily develop 25% more rolls than the stated capacity, with imperceptible difference in colour, or up to 50% more if you accept slight degradation in colour. Or you can play safe and keep within the capacity and be fine.

9 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

Especially if I invest in Fuji Hunt system, for E6, it is not very beneficial.

What do you mean? Fuji Hunt has the best quality colour chemicals now, offering the full process with separate bleach and fix baths (not sure if there any other kits offering that).

Control strips are usually for commercial labs with huge volumes of chemicals (and films processed), not for the home user. They're quite expensive ($80-100 for a pack of 50), so not sure if there's any benefit financially. They make more sense in a big minilab using gallons of chemicals, where keeping or replacing the chemicals would be a much costlier affair. 

17 minutes ago, giannis said:

What do you mean? Fuji Hunt has the best quality colour chemicals now, offering the full process with separate bleach and fix baths (not sure if there any other kits offering that).

So what I mean is, the kit is around £150, with heater bottles etc, it’s over £200 and that kit develops 40 rolls. I can get each film developed for £5 and get 10% for above 5. So for 40 films it doesn’t break even.

59 minutes ago, fatihayoglu said:

So what I mean is, the kit is around £150, with heater bottles etc, it’s over £200 and that kit develops 40 rolls. I can get each film developed for £5 and get 10% for above 5. So for 40 films it doesn’t break even.

Ah fair enough. The kit I've found is good for 50+ rolls, especially since there aren't any ISO400 slides left, everything is ISO100 (which exhausts the developer less). Official capacity is 44 if I remember correctly. But yeah prices can be all over the place. I find it from a Belgian online store for €88, that's a bit less than £80. I guess because the chems are produced in Belgium they have better prices. They post to Netherlands too, and UK is not much further so maybe they can post it there too.

But the bigger issue is shelf life. I don't know if I've shot 40 E-6 rolls in the last two years even, probably less than 40 with current prices for slides, and E-6 dev keeps like milk. If you can get it devved at a lab for £5, it's not worth the trouble of homedevving. Where I am, Fuji devs it for €2/roll, so I haven't bothered to homedev slides for quite some time.

8 hours ago, giannis said:

Ah fair enough. The kit I've found is good for 50+ rolls, especially since there aren't any ISO400 slides left, everything is ISO100 (which exhausts the developer less). Official capacity is 44 if I remember correctly. But yeah prices can be all over the place. I find it from a Belgian online store for €88, that's a bit less than £80. I guess because the chems are produced in Belgium they have better prices. They post to Netherlands too, and UK is not much further so maybe they can post it there too.

But the bigger issue is shelf life. I don't know if I've shot 40 E-6 rolls in the last two years even, probably less than 40 with current prices for slides, and E-6 dev keeps like milk. If you can get it devved at a lab for £5, it's not worth the trouble of homedevving. Where I am, Fuji devs it for €2/roll, so I haven't bothered to homedev slides for quite some time.

exactly, that was my thought. However it seems C41 is totally different and can be really beneficial, bit like BW. Maybe the prices of E6 film will come down and I shoot more to justify but with the current film prices etc, don’t think it does worth. I can see Rollei Digibase kit is a rebranded Fuji Hunt kit and they have smaller sizes for 1 liter so more chance for me to keep them fresh and batch process.

20 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

It should be reasonable to assume Fuji has better quality than Arista or Edwal, but Arista and Edwal are much cheaper per roll (more or less $3 per roll). Depends on your quality mileage, I think Arista and Edwal are good enough for most amateur home processing.  

I agree the slide projection is still appealing, especially like Fujifilm Velvia 50, very often its rich tonality and saturation is very hard to faithfully duplicate to digital, good or bad! :)

The total price of the combination of the slide film and the development makes it practically not attractive at all for me. I just don't see much chance for slide film to survive much longer.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:42 AM, fatihayoglu said:

Actually I found one. So the question is then, would which kit I use make any difference like in B&W processing? Whether it is Tetenal or Fuji or etc, does it make any difference?

Got a link, please? I am looking for such a heater for C41.