Setting camera ASA/ISO

GrampaDoug

Okay, the ISO indicator has no mechanical effect on camera’s operation. I use a M6 w/lightmeter, when changing the ISO setting it adjusts the measurement I see in the viewfinder, right. I’m having a serious senior moment combined with isolation. Will it ever end?

Adjusting the ISO on the dial of a camera with a built-in meter does affect the metering. The film speed (ISO/ASA), the shutter speed, and the aperture all work together and are integral to accurate metering. Inside the rear door of our M6 you will see gold electrical contacts that transfer the information you set on the dial to the meter in the camera, the amount of light coming through the aperture is detected by the meter (through the lens metering) and the meter along with the set ISO gives you a recommended shutter speed.

Only on a camera with no internal metering does the ASA/DIN (DIN is from yet another era) dial act simply as a reminder to use in guesswork or in setting a hand held meter.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1