LUF Admin

Leica Camera & Insta360: Action camera partnership

Advertisement (gone after registration)

insta360.jpg

Action cameras were one of the few segments in the camera market where Leica was not active - until now:.

In cooperation with insta360, Leica is now launching the Insta360 ONE R, an adaptive action camera which offers an 1-inch sensor and image stabilization. The wide-angle lens can easily be exchanged for a dual-lens setup that captures action in all directions simultaneously, unleashing a range of creative techniques only possible with a 360-degree field of view.

Leica Camera AG and Insta360 Announce Strategic Partnership to Reinvent the Action Cam

The companies co-engineered the new Insta360 ONE R, a groundbreaking adaptive action camera that offers a premium 1-inch sensor and advanced stabilization.

Wetzlar, 7 January 2020. Today Leica Camera AG and Insta360 announced a partnership aimed at bringing true innovation and state-of-the-art imaging quality to the action camera and 360-degree camera spaces.

The announcement coincides with the launch of the Insta360 ONE R, an adaptive action camera that uses a unique interchangeable camera module to combine the creative freedom of 360-degree capture with the precision and resolution of traditional single-lens shooting.

Leica and Insta360 co-engineered the premium Insta360 ONE R 1-Inch Edition, which offers creators a 5.3K 1-inch sensor to achieve image quality and dynamic range never before seen in an action cam, together with Insta360’s signature FlowState stabilization. This 5.3K wide- angle lens can be instantly swapped for a dual-lens setup that captures action in all directions at once and unlocks a range of creative techniques only possible with a 360-degree field of view.

The Insta360 ONE R 1-Inch Edition is the first result of Leica and Insta360’s shared vision of craftsmanship and innovation in an era when cameras have a more central role in culture and communication than ever before.

‘With Insta360, we have found the right partner to bring the decades of Leica optical and digital imaging expertise into a new product segment. We think that Insta360 has an extremely high level of know-how in the software sector - especially in the field of 360-degree acquisition technologies. The aim of our cooperation is to develop innovative technologies under the highest image and quality standards, trying to push the limits of what is technically possible’, says Matthias Harsch, CEO of Leica Camera AG.

JK Liu, Insta360 Founder, said: ‘For more than a century, Leica has never stopped pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with a camera, and it’s never lost sight of a guiding ethos of craftsmanship and quality that inspires photographers to push their own work further. They are the ideal partners to join us in perfecting a new generation of cameras that serve users at every step of the creative process — from capture to editing to sharing. Combining the expertise in optics and imaging design of Leica with Insta360’s unique portfolio of innovations, including gimbal-free stabilization and smart editing software, will allow both brands to redefine categories and realize the potential of new camera formats and modes of capture.’

It looks awesome.

Nice collaboration with the leader of 360 solution : insta360  

Very versatile little thing. 
Top notch software. Years ahead of what Leica and Japanese cameras provide. A shame for Japanese for being so much behind chinese companies in software, AI and UI development. 
I really hope that Leica is learning from its Chinese partners : HuaWei and Insta360. Panasonic tech is a dead end.

Waiting for first reviews on January 14th 

First impressions are quite impressive so far.
Super-Elmar-A f/3.2 eq. to 14.4 mm lens combined with 1 inch sensor, can be neat. Sadly we won’t gain that much in low situation. Because the 4K cheaper mod comes with a f/2.0 lens. 

I hope that they won’t disappoint. 

Now Leica can quietly kill its very old/odd X-U . 35mm equivalent lens + big body + huge price in a market of highly breakable stuff, were kind of silly. 

Really looks fun for perhaps lots of applications....versatile (?)

Good prices.

Well done Leica; a hit I suspect.  Particularly for the young, or young at heart :)

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I think this kind of collaboration hopefully makes them some money, but I doubt they have any involvement at all in anything other than the lens. Meanwhile, Panasonic is a technology leader in professional video, stabilization and processing. Leica is a high end camera company...adding their name to an endless array of cheap smart phones and action cameras dilutes the brand and pulls resources away from their core competency.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, nicci78 said:

I really hope that Leica is learning from its Chinese partners : HuaWei and Insta360. Panasonic tech is a dead end.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just noted that Panasonic partnership states : certified by Leica. 

But here Insta360 states : co-engineered with Leica. And the press release seems to confirmed that Leica did really work with Insta360. 

A huge difference between the two :

• Chinese companies are happy to learn from you and to use you tech, hence the co-engineering.
  • However Japanese one, are too proud of their own engineering skills and just need the name tag, hence the certified process only. Same deal between Zeiss and Sony. 

I just hope that they did not waste the 1 inch sensor, like Sony did with its lame RX0 mark I and II :

• Sony cropped the 20MP 1 inch so severely to 15MP only for their lame electronic stabilisation. Here Insta360/Leica just crop it to 19MP for their effective electronic stabilisation.
  • RX0 too tight Zeiss 24mm linear equivalent lens, is not made for action cam. One R 1-inch Leica 14.4mm fisheye or linear lens is way better suited for action. 
  • Sony image processing, is so lame, that image quality is not up to 1 inch standard. I really hope that insta360 did not fail on this part. I hope that the Leica partnership will bring a big focus on image processing. 

What I am confident, is that Insta360 is already years/decade ahead of every japanese camera companies in software development. If the Super-Elmar-R f/3.2 14mm is worthy of a real Leica lens. One R 1-inch can be a real winner. 

We just have to wait for tomorrow for their first review, once the embargo is released. 

"Shenzhen Arashi Vision Co., Ltd. is a camera company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong, with offices in Los Angeles and Tokyo."

Lets not overestimate Chinese programmers.... And made in Japan quality.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

The relevant comparison is between the Insta360 One R and the Go Pro Hero Max - too early for good reviews, I guess ...

16 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Lets not overestimate Chinese programmers.... And made in Japan quality.

Chinese companies understand the value of excellent softwares. Japanese companies do not, sadly. 

China is home of many tech giant, which are all software based. They can rival American GAFAM ones, which are also all software based. Yes even Apple and Amazon. 

Then ShenZhen is where every tech is manufactured nowadays. You should see how amazing this city is for prototyping and manufacturing. Do not wonder why, made in USA and in Europe high tech stuff is really hard to sustain. Leica should be praised and supported for their stubbornness. 

The camera industry is dying, because these Japanese companies do not see the importance in software development. Their WiFi/BT and app support is so poor, that it is easier, faster and more reliable to use an external SD card reader. 

Look at what happened to Japanese and European smartphones. Wiped out from the surface of the globe by American and Chinese tech companies. Thanks to their software knowhow. 

Leica for now is using poor Panasonic tech. I hope that they can leverage in future camera, what they learned from chinese HuaWei and Insta360. 

Edited by nicci78

4 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Chinese companies understand the value of excellent softwares. Japanese companies do not, sadly. 

China is home of many tech giant, which are all software based. They can rival American GAFAM ones, which are also all software based. Yes even Apple and Amazon. 

Then ShenZhen is where every tech is manufactured nowadays. You should see how amazing this city is for prototyping and manufacturing. Do not wonder why, made in USA and in Europe high tech stuff is really hard to sustain. Leica should be praised and supported for their stubbornness. 

The camera industry is dying, because these Japanese companies do not see the importance in software development. Their WiFi/BT and app support is so poor, that it is easier, faster and more reliable to use an external SD card reader. 

Look at what happened to Japanese and European smartphones. Wiped out from the surface of the globe by American and Chinese tech companies. Thanks to their software knowhow. 

Leica for now is using poor Panasonic tech. I hope that they can leverage in future camera, what they learned from chinese HuaWei and Insta360. 

I have seen something similar at FB. Just like soviet time propaganda I lived through.

Panasonic is making  surface mount automatic factories which are in use in real high tech, industrial areas.

Canon is doing well in broadcast and cinema production.

And here you are, banging on some cheap camera with nothing special software. While here is zero Chinese camera brands in any camera store I have seen.

I don't need all Chinese phone, I'm happy with iPhone, wish it is still to be made not in China.

And tell your employer that here are still many people who thinks about civic freedoms and workers rights first, then they are buying something.

http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/report/144