A few questions/worries about my Leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well i purchased my Q2 a few weeks ago and gosh, what a joy to shoot.   I’m a Sony guy (a7RIII, a6500, and a7III) so I have a few questions and concerns for you Q experts.   

My first question is about autofocus and some lens noise.   It mainly happens in low light, but is it normal for the lens to make a slight whining sound, and make a light vibration when hunting for focus?   You have to pretty much have the camera to your face looking through the EVF to hear it, so it isn’t terribly loud, but you certainly CAN hear it when it’s focusing and then makes a slight click when it locks on focus.  In good lighting it’s not nearly as bad.      

another question is the autofocus beep.   When i have the AF confirmation beep turned on, volume high, i can literally barely hear it.   The camera has to be right up against my face to hear it.   On low I can’t hear it unless I put my ear to the speaker.  

Are these things normal?   Or am I worrying too much over nothing?   I know Leica packs a lot of features (AF, Stabilization) in such a small lens, so some noise and vibration would be understandable, but I’m just making sure my $5k investment is in sound condition before sending it off to be repaired.   Thanks in advance for the replies.   

18 hours ago, pbmimsjr said:

Well i purchased my Q2 a few weeks ago and gosh, what a joy to shoot.   I’m a Sony guy (a7RIII, a6500, and a7III) so I have a few questions and concerns for you Q experts.   

My first question is about autofocus and some lens noise.   It mainly happens in low light, but is it normal for the lens to make a slight whining sound, and make a light vibration when hunting for focus?   You have to pretty much have the camera to your face looking through the EVF to hear it, so it isn’t terribly loud, but you certainly CAN hear it when it’s focusing and then makes a slight click when it locks on focus.  In good lighting it’s not nearly as bad.      

another question is the autofocus beep.   When i have the AF confirmation beep turned on, volume high, i can literally barely hear it.   The camera has to be right up against my face to hear it.   On low I can’t hear it unless I put my ear to the speaker.  

Are these things normal?   Or am I worrying too much over nothing?   I know Leica packs a lot of features (AF, Stabilization) in such a small lens, so some noise and vibration would be understandable, but I’m just making sure my $5k investment is in sound condition before sending it off to be repaired.   Thanks in advance for the replies.   

It all sounds perfectly normal to me. I have sounds turned off so I can’t for sure say about focus confirmation. The lens definitely makes a little noise when hunting focus. It’s actually an advantage to be of a more advanced age and with poor hearing. No of these issues ever concerned me. 😁

Relax and enjoy your beautiful Q2. The holidays are coming up and it’ll be a fun time to capture memories. 

Edited by Leica Guy

Is the rattling sound some users report in the Q2 lens a result of moving parts involved in the image stabilization?

Also:  Does the Q2 have an electronic horizon to show when the camera is level like the M-P 240 has?  I have searched high and low on the 'web flr an answer to this question and keep coming up empty handed.

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Does the Q2 have an electronic horizon to show when the camera is level like the M-P 240 has? 

From page 88 of the English manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

From page 88 of the English manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Stephen,
You are a very helpful and knowledgeable person. I often enjoy your posts. 
Dan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...