AFS mode, but Q2 refocus again before firing the shot

Adz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone experiencing this issue? My Q2 is set to AF-S. Sometimes when I half press to pre focus on an object and followed by full press to take a photo (after recomposing or just focus and fire), the shutter does not fire off. Instead, the camera refocus again. Yet at times, it works well.

Shouldn’t be once afs is engaged and prefocus, regardless if I switch point of focus or not, the shutter should fire?

9 hours ago, Adz said:

Anyone experiencing this issue? My Q2 is set to AF-S. Sometimes when I half press to pre focus on an object and followed by full press to take a photo (after recomposing or just focus and fire), the shutter does not fire off. Instead, the camera refocus again. Yet at times, it works well.

Shouldn’t be once afs is engaged and prefocus, regardless if I switch point of focus or not, the shutter should fire?

Definitely seems a bit strange. I can't make mine do what you're describing. What AF mode are you using? Field, spot, multi-field etc.? 

Try resetting the camera and see if the issue persists. In fact, I would save its current settings as a User Profile (User Profile>Manage Profiles>Save as Profile) and export it to your SD card (User Profile>Manage Profiles>Export Profiles). Then reset the camera, see if the issue occurs with a factory reset camera. If no, load your saved User Profile (User Profile>Manage Profiles>Import Profiles) and see if the issue starts happening again. If yes, then it's something you may have changed inadvertently. If no, then it could have been a hiccup. 

• Like 1

Could it be that the finger making the initial half press has been ever so slightly relaxed and thus the set half press has been lost and although you didn't realise it you were initiating the half press a second time? I know I have done that especially when doing focus and recompose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighlandK said:

Could it be that the finger making the initial half press has been ever so slightly relaxed and thus the set half press has been lost and although you didn't realise it you were initiating the half press a second time? I know I have done that especially when doing focus and recompose.

Wouldn’t the green rectangle confirming focus stay illuminated until the full shutter press? That’s the way mine works assuming I am keeping it half pressed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Yes. I have half press the spot focusing mode and pretty sure it turned green to achieve a lock on before I recomposed. And the green focus remain locked. Till I full press, then the focus run away and did not fire. But it happens occasionally only. Not all the time 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please contact with your local dealer. You will either need to send your camera to Leica or replace it altogether. I had a similar issue and I had to replace my camera. When did you buy yours? is it still under warrantee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d99Ag6_1Xho&feature=youtu.be

I have posted some details of my problem with a video, on this thread:

Edited by zampelis

• 1 year later...

Hi !
I just created my account to answer to this thread.

I had the same issue since i bought my second hand Leica Q and it had been annoying me when I need to use the auto focus.

I just accidentally found a solution myself by going to Customize Control —> then change Zoom/Lock - button to AEL / AFL instead of Digital zoom. By doing this, my Leica Q can lock AF and be able to recompose after half pressing the shutter.

However, the Leica will switch back to the same issue again, if you switch the button back to Digital zoom, but it’s fine for me as I don’t use it anyway.

I hope this could be a solution for everyone who have the same issue. Just let me know if this solve your issue.

To me, this is a bug. Lost a few photos as the camera was new and I didn’t expect it. Using AFs and burst mode, during the burst it refocused. 

Will need to try to reproduce but that’s not how I imagine AFs with half pressed shutter (which should lock AF and Exposure).