Fujifilm more luxurious than Leica ?

nicci78

Fujifilm more luxurious than Leica ?

After all these years, I still don't understand the thinking in some quarters that Leica cameras are supposedly "luxury" items, based solely (I'm guessing here) on their prices. 

I have a hard time thinking of any camera that is more functional, elemental and pared down to the fundamentals than an M camera.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, Herr Barnack said:

After all these years, I still don't understand the thinking in some quarters that Leica cameras are supposedly "luxury" items, based solely (I'm guessing here) on their prices. 

I have a hard time thinking of any camera that is more functional, elemental and pared down to the fundamentals than an M camera.

In the same ways that Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc are "luxury" vehicles. Luxury doesn't = less functional, less elemental, and less pared down and simply expensive.

Take the 911 for instance, built tough, looks pretty, does its job fabulously, but does have some electronics issues occasionally. Sounds very similar to my other friend, Mr. Leica M camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, dkmoore said:

In the same ways that Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc are "luxury" vehicles. Luxury doesn't = less functional, less elemental, and less pared down and simply expensive.

Take the 911 for instance, built tough, looks pretty, does its job fabulously, but does have some electronics issues occasionally. Sounds very similar to my other friend, Mr. Leica M camera.

Thus spake Merriam-Webster:

Definition of luxury

1:  A condition of abundance or great ease and comfort:  Sumptuous environment lived in luxury

2 a:  Something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary one of life's luxuries
   b An indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease
        had the luxury of rejecting a handful of job offers
        - Terri Minsky

According to the above yardstick, Leica M cameras and lenses appear to be luxury items.  As such, that makes them neither bad nor good; an M camera is what it is, that's all.

To take this thinking a step further, we could within reason extend the definition of luxury to every item on the planet other than the "Big Five" of food, water, medicine, clothing and shelter.

It seems to me that there's nothing wrong with a little luxury, as long as it is not acquired by unlawful, violent, exploitative or unethical methods.  JMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally Leica did not dare to go 100% magnesium with SL2.
They even make an emphasis on the anodised aluminium top case ! 
Rest of the body is in magnesium, but hidden under a wrap of leatherette. 

With former 100% aluminium SL did not wrap the whole body belt with synthetic leather. They just proudly show it to the world. 

Now think whatever you want. But it seems that Leica is proud of aluminium and ashamed of magnesium. So which one is more compatible with Leica pricing ? 

Downside of keeping a top case in aluminium and adding IBIS. SL2 is now 68g heavier than SL. Even with use of magnesium in the rest of the body. 

Edited by nicci78