To all MP users!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My question to all MP users is: Is it normal for an MP to make any noise when shaken? 

My MP is making rattling noise when shaken. There are two kinds. One is dull sound that a specific part in the body is not fixed and another is lighter sound that something like a small metal piece is moving around in the body. 

I contacted Leica Mayfair and they sent the body to Wetzlar. Wetzlar replied as follows: "The noise we can hear when slightly shaking the camera is to the release lever of the braking mechanism". They also noted that the camera seemed to be woking within factory tolerances. What I do not understand is that my camera was not making such noise when I bought it and although it works fine I do not like this rattling noise and I do not expect such quality from Leica M camera. 

I complained to Mayfair again and then Wetzlar accepted to get the camera returned for another inspection. And I got an email for Mayfair saying that "Your camera just came back and we identified the source of the rattle, which we could fix with a new part we received from the factory". 

I just received the camera and it still makes rattling noise.

I just checked mine (MP, not bracelet). The only noise I can hear seems to be the film cartridge moving a bit. The film is fully rewound.

update: I have just removed the cartridge and there is no sound at all when I shake it.

Edited by ianman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rather than keep sending the camera back to Wetzlar, probably easier to just not shake the camera if the noise bothers you.

(Reminds me of the old joke:
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I bend my arm like this."
Doctor: "Don't do it then.")

22 minutes ago, wattsy said:

Rather than keep sending the camera back to Wetzlar, probably easier to just not shake the camera if the noise bothers you.

(Reminds me of the old joke:
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I bend my arm like this."
Doctor: "Don't do it then.")

Simply did not expect this level of quality from Leica. That's all. 

That's what a NHS doctor would say. One at Bupa would not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leoskkang said:

Simply did not expect this level of quality from Leica. That's all. 

Ok, we realise you think the rattling sound is annoying but mine plays 'The Birdie Song' when shaken so you are damn lucky.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, leoskkang said:

So Leica is getting more like Apple where you have be lucky to get a perfect product. 

To be honest, I did not expect such quality from Leica. 

I suppose it depends on how many Leica's you've owned to know what is or is not perfect relative to expectations. I've already said in the other thread on this subject that my MP has a rattle from inside even if there isn't a film inside or a lens mounted. My camera works perfectly and it always has, so how do you know it's not the camera's without a rattle that aren't the defective ones?

Edited by 250swb
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

I suppose it depends on how many Leica's you've owned to know what is or is not perfect relative to expectations. I've already said in the other thread on this subject that my MP has a rattle from inside even if there isn't a film inside or a lens mounted. My camera works perfectly and it always has, so how do you know it's not the camera's without a rattle that aren't the defective ones?

I have only owned M6, MP and M10 so surely I cannot comment on what is perfect and what is not. 

What I do not like about my MP making this noise is that it did not make such noise before. I had to send the body to Wetzlar for the first time when the outer segment of its ISO panel started to rotate around freely making it difficult to adjust the ISO. When it came back to me it started to make this noise. 

I have also got a reply from Mayfair today and they found the source of this annoying rattle. (See the photo) 

Obviously Wetzlar made some kind of mistake when they repaired the ISO panel. The service team at Mayfair found this out and they replaced it for me but still rattling noise remains. 

Am I being too sensitive? And why do I have to accept this when I did not have this noise at all when I bought the camera? 

I certainly do not expect such level of quality from Leica. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leoskkang said:

Obviously Wetzlar made some kind of mistake when they repaired the ISO panel. The service team at Mayfair found this out and they replaced it for me but still rattling noise remains. 

Am I being too sensitive? And why do I have to accept this when I did not have this noise at all when I bought the camera? 

So if it wasn't the ISO panel after all then Leica Mayfair are just placating you as they probably do with many similar customers.

Cameras loosen up with use, grease is spread around as intended and the parts that should move do indeed start to move as intended. It's like a hand made car engine made to tight tolerances, you don't go straight out and rev the bollocks off it because the parts need to bed in, after which it will run far more freely. So saying it did 'this or that' when it was new is a misunderstanding of how hand made precision goods evolve in use. 

Seriously, if a slight rattle (when you shake it and that doesn't affect it's function) is annoying you just sell it and buy a Nikon. Or just stop shaking it, why would you even do that anyway?

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 250swb said:

So if it wasn't the ISO panel after all then Leica Mayfair are just placating you as they probably do with many similar customers.

Cameras loosen up with use, grease is spread around as intended and the parts that should move do indeed start to move as intended. It's like a hand made car engine made to tight tolerances, you don't go straight out and rev the bollocks off it because the parts need to bed in, after which it will run far more freely. So saying it did 'this or that' when it was new is a misunderstanding of how hand made precision goods evolve in use. 

Seriously, if a slight rattle (when you shake it and that doesn't affect it's function) is annoying you just sell it and buy a Nikon. Or just stop shaking it, why would you even do that anyway?

Three cheers for another Leica ambassador here. 

Firstly, a new MP that has been used for like two months starts to break down itself by having its ISO rotating freely. Complained to Leica about this and Wetzlar successfully fails to find the problem and send back to the owner. The owner has to explain the issue by showing it to the store manager. Took about two months to "fix" it with a misplaced washer making a rattling sound. 

When the rattle started it wasn't about me being sensitive and not understanding how a mechanical camera works. Wetzlar did not look into the issue seriously. Maybe they get too used to just placate rather than trying to look into the actual issue. 

Nikon? Why would I get a Nikon? I am sticking with M6 and selling MP off. 

Lastly, I do not like the fact that I paid the same amount of money like every other Leica users. You have to hear the rattle sound it is definitely not caused by loosen up part in the body. Why I am keep shaking it and trying to get it fixed? When the warranty ends I would have to pay for like another £1000 to fix it. 

14 hours ago, leoskkang said:

Nikon? Why would I get a Nikon? I am sticking with M6 and selling MP off. 

Lastly, I do not like the fact that I paid the same amount of money like every other Leica users. You have to hear the rattle sound it is definitely not caused by loosen up part in the body. Why I am keep shaking it and trying to get it fixed? When the warranty ends I would have to pay for like another £1000 to fix it. 

How are you going to advertise it? "2 Month old MP. One careful owner. An annoying rattle if you shake it.

More seriously, if the camera has a genuine fault (and it's not clear to me what has been or hasn't been fixed) Leica will put it right. I've had plenty of faulty Leica stuff over the years (including a 28mm Summicron that started spontaneously separating into two pieces) but Leica have always put it right (and, in the case of the Summicron, when it was nearly 10 years old). If something is moving about inside your camera that shouldn't be, Leica will fix it.

Leica quality is all about the function (the optical quality of the lenses, the fitness for purpose of the RF, etc.) it isn't really about the shininess of the finish, perfect consistency or guaranteed silence during operation. I hope you haven't also got one of the infamous rattling 35 FLE Summiluxes – the combination might be positively deafening.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I understand where leo is coming from and since leica users demand a certain level of perfection, his desired level of standard is not unreasonable.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the camera (defined as the rattling camera will behave and last as long and as good as a non-rattling camera) then leica should explain the issue in great detail putting leo's mind at rest. If he insists, leica should swap for a new one. What happened to "the customer is always right"?

It is difficult to placate everyone, but if there is a physical issue, i feel it is hard to disregard it.

I had responded in the other thread on this topic, confirming that my MP doesn't have any rattle...I got anxious thinking maybe I missed unloading film or removing the lens or something, as it does sound like some MPs have a rattle and some don't.  I checked again this morning...Mine doesn't rattle, not even a little bit.  Mine was built in 2003, so if something was gonna loosen over time in a mechanically acceptable way, I feel like it would have by now.

I would continue to insist.  That rattle may not impede function today, or tomorrow, or in a year...but then again it might.  If they can pull a new MP out of a box in a store and it exhibits the same behaviour, maybe let it go...but if not, then Leica should make it right.