Voigtlander 28 Color Skopar, LT-M8 and M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received my new VG 28mm Color Skopar. It is filtered and coded. It works like a charm and I immediately loved it!

Now, whenever I select Lens Detection On + IR, the camera acts as if it is a WATE, asking to select between the 16, 18, and 21mm. I just accept the default selection. However the M8 recognizes the Elmarit 28mm (as I used its code). Is this normal behavior?

Are you using the correct adapter (I think it should be the 13.5cm one)?

I am using the 9cm one, and I get the 28mm frame line.

Again, the camera recognizes the 28mm. It is just that when I select lens detection with this lens mounted the WATE menu appears but after that the camera recognizes the 28mm.

I just tried the 15mm (coded as a WATE), and the menu appears, as normal, then the camera remember my selection (16mm). When I put the 28mm, the WATE menu appears, but whatever I select, the camera just sees the 28mm. So it is not a big problem...but I thought it was not normal. I guess it is a software glitch in the firmware...

:confused:

Samir, just received my 28 Color Skopar today. I bought one after a deal to buy a used 28 ASPH fell through. I am doing tests now. Like the size and build. Getting the hood off to put on the UV/IR filter was more difficult than I thought it would be. I hope we both enjoy them :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Samir, just received my 28 Color Skopar today. I bought one after a deal to buy a used 28 ASPH fell through. I am doing tests now. Like the size and build. Getting the hood off to put on the UV/IR filter was more difficult than I thought it would be. I hope we both enjoy them :)

I know you will like your CV lenses- I ahve seven and they are wonderful, even before you consider the price. I have the CV 28mm f/1.9 Ultron but am considering additionally purchasing the Skopar. Let me know how you like the lens!

Put the cap on the lens before twisting the hood off.

Cheers,

Sean

First shot w/color skopar. Mostly to check focusing accuracy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interesting, Sean, since my cap just spins on the hood. Maybe with a pair of vise grips?

OK, plan B.... Rather than grasp the outer edges of the hood (from both side) grab a part of the hood wall itself (inside and out) and then turn it. Once you get it off the first time, the others should be easier.

Cheers,

Sean

I am using the 9cm one, and I get the 28mm frame line... when I put the 28mm, the WATE menu appears, but whatever I select, the camera just sees the 28mm... I guess it is a glitch in the firmware...

Samir -

Yes, the 9cm adaptor is correct. I have this exact setup, and have not had trouble with the coding. Coded mine like a 28/2.8 Elmarit Asph, and it works perfectly. The corrections in the firmware seem very accurate. It's possible your firmware has a glitch, but unlikely.

The fact that you keep getting the WATE selection menu probably means an error in coding or possibly the lens isn't mounting correctly on the camera. I've noticed the LTM8 adaptors can be very snug in my camera.

You said you tried a 15mm and got the same menu - I assume you changed the code when you changed lenses?

T

John--

When Leica made lenses with series filters, many people had trouble removing the rings because they were applying pressure that deformed them. Probably the same with your hood, as Sean suggested: Don't squeeze from two sides. Grab it on one side only and it should come off much more easily. I'm sure you're joking about the Vise-Grip, but that would make the hood harder to remove because you would be deforming it with even more force.

Samir--

What you're describing is peculiar. The camera sees the 28 and enters the data properly in the EXIF. That's what you want.

But the only time you should see the WATE menu is when the camera first sees it.

Do you have any other lenses? If so, does the WATE menu appear for them as well?

My suggestion would be to reinstall the firmware, but since we're only a day or so from a new version of the firmware, I'd just wait for that.

You could check to be sure that the lens coding and camera lens detectors are clean, but this sounds to me like a firmware confusion instead of hardware.

Good luck.

--HC

I just received my new VG 28mm Color Skopar. It is filtered and coded. It works like a charm and I immediately loved it!

Now, whenever I select Lens Detection On + IR, the camera acts as if it is a WATE, asking to select between the 16, 18, and 21mm. I just accept the default selection. However the M8 recognizes the Elmarit 28mm (as I used its code). Is this normal behavior?

This is normal, IF, you've had coding OFF prior to selecting it ON+IR. It's a firmware coding concern, wherein the logic flow of ON, it defaults to the query about whether--or better, whither--a WATE will be used and at which FL. I just tested this, turning the camera power off between lens changes(a hope for less dust drawn to the lens chamber). While leaving the menu item "Lens detection" at ON+UV/IR: from a 21 to 28 change I was not prompted for a WATE FL. When I mounted the CV15(WATE coded), it prompted for the FL... back to the 21, and no prompt for WATE FL.

Deep breath, enjoy your new lens! It's a sweet lens, despite my posting elsewhere that of the "mids", 28 on the M8 is not as 35 was on the film Ms. Odd how this Skopar is truely chrome...

rgds,

Dave

Yes, I was kidding about the vise grips :D I got it off with hand pressure but that baby was tight! I like the way the filter fits with the hood on top, though. Apologies for that previous shot. I was too anxious to post it, I guess. Here is the corrected shot:

This pics are from the M8 JPG, with medium contrast and sharpening and a minimum of shadow adjustment in Aperture: this lens is wonderful.