Q2 Sluggish in Operation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone else noticed their Q2 hanging up quite a bit when in use? I was aware that the buffer fills up pretty fast if you shoot 13+ frames quickly in a row and that I can deal with but I've found that even after shooting a few frames and trying to immediately view them, the camera is not very responsive when trying to do so and will hang while it writes the images to card. I am using a 300/MBs UHS II card.

I'm hoping this is something that can be eventually corrected via firmware and I really hope they didn't put a sensor in the camera that is too much for the processor to handle. Regardless, the image quality is so good that I could probably live with it.

Edited by Whitford

4 hours ago, microview said:

DPReview video with Chris critcizes buffer limiting to c.11 shots.

Yeah, saw that. I’m fine with that it’s more so the slow speed when I go to quickly review shots and the camera hangs when I try to scroll through them. 

2 hours ago, Flyer said:

I have been using mine a lot today and find it sluggish on processing sometimes and the red processing light stays on longer than I expected, reminds me of my Sony a7r from years agosi I hope they sort it. 

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that can be fixed with firmware but I hope so. Had I been on the development team I would have protested at releasing the camera like that.

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a Q2 and new to the forum. I experienced the same slowness you described and wanted to confirm this is not a defect.  Camera will flash red light Fter each picture for a long time, play is even worse.  It can take up to 30 seconds to respond.  I formatted the SD card twice and only marginally better.  Just ordered a new Sony tough card and hope it speed it up to acceptable speed.  This is a joke comparing to my Sony A7r3 which writes large size file too.

I currently use SanDisk UHS2, don’t remember its extreme or not, same card I use in my Sony A7r3, don’t have any performance issue.  I don’t shoot action, so speed is not a priority, but this is so slow, I wonder if I got a lemon?  Oh well, expect to receive the Sony card tonight, hope it helps.  Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, new here, the Q2 is my first Leica. I have a Sandisk 300mb/s card in it, and noticed when shooting an assignment last night that the camera would lock up when shooting quickly. I switched to jpeg-only and that seemed to fix the problem, though of course I would prefer to shoot raw files. I don't know how many photos I shot before it hung up, but it was a theatre production and I tend to shoot a lot. :) 

The files are really nice, though.....

3 hours ago, KenBennett said:

Hi, new here, the Q2 is my first Leica. I have a Sandisk 300mb/s card in it, and noticed when shooting an assignment last night that the camera would lock up when shooting quickly. I switched to jpeg-only and that seemed to fix the problem, though of course I would prefer to shoot raw files. I don't know how many photos I shot before it hung up, but it was a theatre production and I tend to shoot a lot. :)

The files are really nice, though.....

Can you be more specific about lockup? The Q2 does take a long time to empty the buffer if you fully fill it up. A long time is 30 secs or maybe even a little more. If you’re shooting in a continuous mode you’ll see the available shots you can take in the lower right as the buffer unloads. 

If yours truly locked up that’s a bummer. First thing I’d look at is the card and as Jaapv suggests being sure you formatted it in camera. 

Thanks for the response. No, sorry, it just becomes unresponsive. Won't shoot another photo for several seconds as the buffer partly clears. I did some unscientific testing yesterday shooting raw+jpeg and jpeg only. I shot 2 frames per second, single frame advance. In jpeg only, I could shoot more than 50 photos before the buffer became an issue, and even then it still shot fairly quickly. In raw+jpeg, it stopped after 9 frames, and slowed down to one shot every few seconds. Not locked up, but unresponsive when trying to shoot quickly. That makes shooting raw files more challenging for a lot of the kinds of assignments I cover. For personal work, travel, candids, street, that sort of thing, it's fine. 

• Like 1

Great. I think you clearly understand the Q2’s limitations. Maybe you should just shoot jpeg’s if that works for you. Bummer though. I shoot RAW exclusively, but I’m rarely shooting in continuous mode or very fast. Emptying the buffer is a weak point on the Q/Q2. Doesn’t affect most of us very much I expect. Still, it’s a disappointment. 

• Like 2

I never had this issue with my Q, but I understand why with the Q2 - namely the massive file size in comparison to the Q. It's a trade-off. Extra MP's with which to crop (especially useful shooting street) or zippier function with the Q. Given that choice I prefer the Q2 and just deal with it. When I need zippier performance (such as shooting ballet) I reach for my Sony A7iii and 24/1.4GM lens.