Leica R9 film transport lever stuck (mirror stuck)

jesseB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I bought a Leica R9 in mint condition today but it isn't working. I tried to replace the battery's and switched the 'mirror up switch' several times but without result. The mirror is up, the lever/handle stops half way so it isn't possible to take a shot.

Does somebody knows how I can solve this?

Hi, 

If you put the batteries in and touch the shutter release button is there  00 flashing on the rear display and in the viewfinder? If so you need to load a film, first push down the little silver rewind knob, turn the film rewind knob half a dozen times, open the back,  put the film leader up to the red mark, try and hold the leader down on to the film ratchets as you close the back it's a little awkward till you get used to it. Close the back gently and snap it shut.  Switch on the camera make sure the little silver knob is back up,  Then try the  lever this should put very thing back to normal. Worth a try

All the best

John.

Hi if the OO is flashing it denotes the film is not loaded properly!! Open the back and take out the film. Close the back and press the rewind silver button in, open the back again, now put the film back make sure the leader is flat and not curling up. I know its a fiddle, but make sure the leader is on or just past the red mark and you have to hold the film in place on the tiny ratchets as you close the back ( its awkward till you get the knack ) Make sure the little silver rewind knob is up. This time leave the camera switched on all the time while you are changing the film. 

If this does not work its another problem, sorry.

John.

On my recently acquired R9, I too found the film was not loading consistently. The film take up roller had a hard slippery sheen on it. I have a pump aerosol of a product called RRR (Rubber Roller Restorer) made for printer servicing. I have found this magic stuff for keeping photo printers feeding thick coated paper properly and squarely. It removes the usual ink and paper dust coating. It also solved the problem with my R9 wind on roller. It is now restored to its correct slightly tacky matt finish and grips the film consistently. I bought my RRR aerosol from my local Xerox dealer but you can probably get it on Amazon. There is an indicator window on the RHS back of the R9 which shows if film is loading correctly. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi, I've just recharged the battery in my Motor-Drive R8. When I've put the battery back into the motor drive and tried a test shot, my R9's shutter has locked and the mirror stays up. I've tried removing the motor drive for a while. I've replaced it with a winder as an alternative power supply (with fresh batteries) and the camera still won't work? The camera did have a roll of film correctly loaded. I removed the film to open and close the film back, in the hope that this may have helped reset the body, but it didn't work. Any other helpful ideas please?

Is it my imagination or do there seem to be a rash of R8/9 cameras over the last few weeks, all failing with the same or at least similar fault? Shutter not firing, mirror locked up and consequent inability to wind on. It is as if there was a time bomb incorporated into the mechanism by Leica. 

Wilson

Hi, thanks so much for your replies. I emailed Leica Mayfair (London) and they replied saying that even if it could be repaired it would be uneconomic to do so!  I remember rushing to replace the battery (an expensive mistake) and I think I used both the lock up and double exposure switch after the mirror stuck, to try to free it. The mirror lock up switch is now normal as is the double exposure switch. The rewind button next go the quick wind lever does look lower (more into the camera body) than I'd expect. The only way I can get the button to return to its 'normal' height position is by using the double exposure switch. I think the motor drive is possibly responsible for the initial fault. I seem to be left with a very expensive paperweight.