Stamford, Lincs. UK Architecture

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Another view Crestwood House, 52 High Street St Martins, Stamford Lincs. UK ... Originally a 17th C. hall and former residence of Lady Frances Wingfield ... Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell's mistress ... the wall plaque refers. Building's bay windows are early 19th C.; door porch is restored 17th. C. The Collywston slate roof tiles are laid in diminishing courses each course using smaller slates  ... hence Stamford's typical Collyweston roof patterns. Note the 19th. C drainpipes which drain straight into the street grids. 

Panasonic S1R / Leitz (Schneider) PA Curtagon R 35/4 shift lens (handheld) ... main image ISO 800 1/15sec  f11. The PA Curtagon should always be used at its 'optimum' f11 when shifted ... as recommended by Schneider.; it's a very lightweight shift lens and easy to use handheld. Some barrel distortion noticeable when used at close focus. Lens has an undeserved 'poor' reputation ... likely because it's not always used properly (at f11)  when shifted. Find a good example and it's well worth using .. and likely one of the most cost effective perspective control optics which is well suited to modern mirrorless ICL cameras ... by virtue of the cameras' magnified live view and IBIS. The PA Curtagon R used for this image lay unloved on LCE Strand's s/h shelf for at least 2 years and was repeatedly reduced ... so in October 2020 I made an offer and we compromised at £225.  

BW

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

St Paul's Street, Stamford, Lincs., UK ... Buildings No.'s 10-11, 12, 13. 14 and 15 .... dating from Medieval  c.1500 - 18th C.

Constructiion: Lincolnshire limestone with Collyweston limestone slate roofs laid in diminishing courses ... smaller slate courses towards the top.

No. 12 the "Toby Norris Tavern" was built c.1500. A new wing was added in c.1600 and an ashlar front was built in 1663 by bellfounder Toby Norris. The East gable includes a lozenge shaped panel inscribed 'TNS 1663' ... Toby and Susannah Norris.. 

No's 10-11 include a painted stone plaque bearing the arms of the Bakers' Company ... and including the names of Joseph and Jane Caldecott 1716.  Joseph Caldecott bought the house in March 1716 and lived there until his death in 1750. 

Leica X Vario photo ISO 100 f5.6 1/320 19.7mm (30mm FF equiv) 

dunk

• Like 10

• 4 months later...

Red Lion Square Stamford UK Replacing Stone Setts August 16 2022.  

620m² old paving blocks removed; replaced with 22500 new stone setts over 5 months period.  

Red Lion Square is a road and subject to heavy vehicle traffic. I wonder how long the new stone setts will last before requiring repairs? 

Completion delayed by 2 months due to discovery of a gas main and traders in despair as takings down 60% — as per recent Stamford Mercury article.

First time use recently acquired Leica CL / TL 18mm; ISO 200 f8 1/320.  (18mm = 27mm FF equivalent)  The chimney top RHS does lean - the lean is not lens distortion. 

Leica Camera AG "X Series upgrade scheme" to CL/18mm with 45% discount. 

BW, dunk

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Sonia said:

Beautiful images and informative narratives.  They have brought back many memories.  I visited Stamford many times in the 90's but never with a camera. I feel inspired to revisit Stamford with a camera. 

Thank you Sonia. i hope you decide to visit Stamford again; so much to see and its history is well documented.  BW, dunk :) 

• 3 months later...

The Schneider Kreuznach P A Curtagon 35mm f4 was the first lens I bought on acquired a Leicaflex SL some six years ago. I found the shift mechanism to be reliable and very useful. As Dunk will have discovered, taking photographs of old buildings in narrow streets in the UK necessitates the use of a shift lens. I use the lens, sans shift, in street photography. The trick is to look as if you are interested in the adjacent buildings. Don’t make eye contact with people. Ignore them but make it appear that you’ve got a right to be there. No problems with police/security guards etc. Important to keep moving, it’s rare for the latter to chase you. 

I’ve found the results to be on a par with the 35mm f2.8 Elmarit R lens of similar vintage. I’ve used it with colour too. Results very acceptable. I don’t use Photoshop - that’s where I take my films for D&P. 

• Like 2

Ironmonger Street, Stamford – viewed from Broad Street looking towards Church of St Michael the Greater in Stamford High Street.

Leica SL601 / Canon 90mm F2.8 TS-E Mk I tilt&shift / Novoflex Canon EF to SL 'smart' adapter.   ISO 800 f10 1/500. 

Church is 100m distant from Broad Street. 'St Michael's' dates from the 12th C. when it was owned by Crowland Abbey and was rebuilt in the 15th, 17th and 18th centuries. In 1832 the church collapsed following removal of internal pillars – whence it was rebuilt again using Ketton stone at a cost of £4000. The church was declared redundant in 1974 and in 1982 was converted into shops by adding six plate glass windows. All the original stained glass and Georgian plasterwork was destroyed and the bells, organ and Medieval artefacts 'dispersed'. Noted architectural historian Nicholas Pevsner described the shops conversion as "appalling and unsympathetic"; the plate glass shop windows (not visible in photo but to the LHS of the tower) look totally out of place.  Local government planning disasters happen. 

BW, dunk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

N

No. 13 St Mary's Street, Stamford, Lincs UK. Original house dating from 13th C. includes a vaulted ribs undercroft (crypt / cellar) used as one of the restaurant's dining rooms. Above ground, the building is mainly 17th C. with 13th C. wall arcading rebuilt in late 19th C.  The roof has 'Stamford typical' Collyweston pattern limestone slate tiles laid in diminishing courses; largest slates laid at the eave with smallest at the ridge. The double door on LHS was used pre- motoring era, as a carriage entrance. The Michelin Guide sign on the doors compromises the building's antiquity – as do signs and facias on other historic Stamford buildings. 

Leica X Vario image      BW, dunk      

• Like 4

THE GEORGE HOTEL, STAMFORD, LINCS., UK.    The George is situated on the original Great North Road and dates back to the 940s. The main block was rebuilt by Lord Burghley in 1597.  In 1725, Brownslow, Earl of Exeter, built the finest Cock Pit in the world at The George – 40 feet wide and with room for 500 spectators. The last cock fight was arranged in 1834. 

X Vario image taken in July 2020 – when there was minimal vehicle traffic (Covid). High Street St Martins traffic is normally continuous and blocks this view. 

BW, dunk

• Like 4

50 & 51 Broad Street and 5 Red Lion Street, Stamford, Lincs., UK        Sony A7S2 / Leica 28mm PC Super Angulon shift lens (made by Schneider) 

No.'s 50 & 51 Broad Street on LHS built 1830 as shops and retain original shop windows; hipped mansard roof with Collyweston pattern limestone slate tiles laid in diminishing courses.

No. 5 Red Lion Street on RHS is an early 19th C. warehouse with moulded flattened Dutch gable and originally would have included hoists for the 1st and 2nd floor w/house  exterior shuttered door entrances. Used as RSPCA charity shop until 2019 and now a restaurant / cafeteria.

No. 5A Red Lion Street ASKER baker's shop:  Likely late 19th C. or early 20th C. construction. Augustus Asker's Stamford bakery / confectionery businesses were founded in 1927 & were / are owned by 5 generations of Asker family. Actual bakehouse is situated in Kings Mill Lane Stamford and is one of 5 UK traditional artisan bakeries still using coal fired ovens – and still uses the company's original 95 years young loaf tins.  

Wellington Lane pedestrian passageway separates Broad Street and Red Lion Street. 

St John's Church Tower, situated in centre of Stamford, High Street / Red Lion Square / St Mary's Street visible on RHS.

BW, dunk

• Like 4

Forlorn looking Stamford Park gate entrance, Park Lane Stamford; temporarily repaired with twine. The light was interesting, and the worn steps could tell a few tales.  Leica X Vario image 

BW, dunk 

• Like 3

"And which side do you dress Sir?"   No. 11 High Street St. Martins, Stamford, Lincs. UK; house originally built 17th C.; bay windows with canted sides, ovolo-moulded mullions, moulded string-courses at lintel height, and gable with shaped kneelers; Collyweston pattern limestone slate tiles laid in diminishing courses. Tailor's business was previously a bicycle dealer / repairer. 

Another X Vario image taken July 2020.  

BW, dunk

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Burghley House Stamford, "The Fourth George Room" . The 'composite' circular marquetry table's square central panel is 16th C Augsberg marquetry – surrounded by 18th C additions, and supported on a 19th C. columnar parquetry base.   Leica SL 601 / Leica R 19mm (cropped image) handheld in mixed ambient lighting.  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Stained glass West Window, Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford Lincolnshire UK. 
Window designed / made by British stained glass artist Francis Wilson Oliphant 1818-1859 whose stained glass designs also adorn Ely Cathedral & Kings College Cambridge ante chapel. F W Oliphant contracted TB in 1857 whence he moved to warmer Rome where he died in 1859 at the relatively young age of 41 years. The St John’s West Window illustrates: 
Lower LHS and Lower RHS – Jesus Christ’s Baptism and Crucifixion. 
Lower Centre – Christ’s body is prepared for burial in presence of Joseph of Arimathea & Nicodemus; Mary Magdalene at Jesus’ side in prayer.
Middle Centre – The Resurrection. Jesus emerges from the tomb wearing a blood red Cloak; wounds visible on hands / feet causing consternation amongst Roman tomb guards.  
Upper Tracery – Angels with the four Evangelists.
The Church of St John the Baptist Stamford dates from the 12th C. and was rebuilt in the 15th C. and restored in 1856. The chancel East window is also by Oliphant. The church is no longer a place of worship and is maintained / preserved by the Churches Conservation Trust.

Leica X Vario ISO 400 1/100 f6.4 46mm (70mm FF) handheld.

BW, dunk 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Last March I again photographed some of the Mary Lowndes stained glass in St Andrews Church chancel, Ufford near Stamford, Lincs UK but disregarded any images mistakenly exposed at the 24-90mm zoom lens' full f3.6 aperture at the 50mm setting – assuming they might not have sufficient depth of field and sharpness. However, reassessing the images yesterday they appeared to be usable so I've commenced processing. This is the first image illustrating Matthew 4:19-21 as per the window's inscription: "Venite post me et faciam vos fieri piscatores hominum" which translates to Jesus saying, "Come follow me and I will send you out to fish for people." Mary Lowndes, was on of the first notable 19th C. female stained glass artists & also a well know suffragette who designed many of the movement's banners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Lowndes

Leica SL 601 / SL 24-90,  ISO 800 f3.6 1/640sec.  Camera was handheld above my head; converging verticals adjusted / corrected in post.  

And, as per Leica Pocket Book 9th Edition , page 377:  "The excellent performance of this zoom is remarkably consistent no matter the focal length or aperture chosen. The optimum, however, appears to be about 50mm"  I'd always avoided using the lens 'wide open' – but now have no hesitation in using at full aperture.

BW, dunk

• Like 1