Skin tone with S(006), S(007), SL, and X1D

mgrayson3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 4000K ring light says to me that an LED ring light was used ?

If that's true, then in my view the light source should be something with a better (flatter) spectral output.  LED lights are terrible for skin tone and I'd hate to use that as the test light source for this kind of comparison ?

JB

A 4000K ring light says to me that an LED ring light was used ?

If that's true, then in my view the light source should be something with a better (flatter) spectral output.  LED lights are terrible for skin tone and I'd hate to use that as the test light source for this kind of comparison ?

JB

Wonderful! I eagerly await your results with better lighting.

--Matt

• Like 1

Wonderful! I eagerly await your results with better lighting.

--Matt

Below I point to many tests with more consistent lighting that takes into account the flaws of LED lighting.

I routinely do camera (and lens) testing as part of my work as a cinematographer, and I've learned that if you're comparing cameras, then the spectral emission of the light source you're testing under is very critical, especially if you're concerned with skin tone.

You were proposing to test the difference of skin tone performance on different sensors weren't you ?  You were publicly asking for people to compare your results.  Part of doing this publicly is also to put under scrutiny your testing methodologies.  I'm simply asking if you've taken that into account.  You haven't actually confiemd it's an LED source, I'm just guessing based on your description.

If an LED light which is NOT a continuous spectrum light source doesn't emit a certain colour then how will your subject ever reflect that colour of light to enable your sensor to capture it ?

The whole premise of your question is to compare colour response.  If the light doesn't emit that colour then how are you measuring the colour response ?

I'm only trying to point out what I see as a bit of a flaw in your testing methodology.  You went to a bit of trouble to do the test, I'm just suggesting that you get rid of LIGHTING as a variable if you don't use an LED based light source.

I don't have access to all the cameras you're wanting to compare.

Here's some of the types of testing I've done.

4 different cinema cameras blind tested in the same lighting.  (Panavision DXL, Arriflex Alexa, Ursa Mini Pro, RED Helium) Camera order is randomised.

https://vimeo.com/259566548

Password is Angie

Different cameras compared to explore looks.

IR and non-IR filter tests

Same camera, different lenses blind tested

JB

Edited by JohnBrawley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

John,

Thank you for these comparisons! I am motivated only by "too many words, too few examples" on this subject and nothing more.

I do not consider the choice of light a flaw in the methodology. Unless we wanted to compare many different lighting conditions, we had to pick one. If that one happens to be difficult, so be it. It's not as if no one uses LED lighting. (I don't, but then I rarely shoot people.) And showing performance in less than ideal conditions is useful in its own right.

After doing some research, I see that, while most tunable LED lights still have a spike in the blue part of the spectrum, they are much smoother than simple RGB arrays. I'll try to get specs on the actual light used.

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The light was a Smith-Victor variable temp LED with a claimed CRI of 95. That's a nice number, but if we could rely on specs, none of this would be necessary.

--Matt

Hi Matt.

Most LED's are at BEST 95 CRI and that number is kind of misleading.

Many now use the TLCI

In truth, no LED is good for evenness in Spectrum.  They are often GOOD ENOUGH for what most people need, but it's easy to see their shortfalls when you compare them to other light sources.

I find it hard to go past good old Tungsten light.  The kind that get's hot and burns your hands. It has a very flat spectral emission. I generally spend time with a good colour temperature meter (sekonic C700) that works with LED lights and use small gell corrections to get it to both 3200K and 5600K so that I hit a known white point that I've shot many times.

Some colour temp meters like the older minoltas (now Kenko) don't read LED's properly.

The Academy (that do the Oscars) did a big investigation of LED lights recently.  you can learn a lot here.

https://www.oscars.org/science-technology/sci-tech-projects/solid-state-lighting-project

I found this one to be especially relevant.  Look at how much her skin tone changes under different lights.  

JB

Edited by JohnBrawley

On 9/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, frame-it said:

i like the X1d/phocus colors.

+1

Hasselblad colours are 10 times better than what I used to think Leica colours are...........I love the colours I get from my Leica S007, but I guess I love the colours more from what I get with my Hasselblad camera.

Now when I converted my Leica S files to B&W they are amazing, better than my old CCB Monochrom and as good as I can get from my Hassy.........strange

Neil

Another consideration is that we are looking at the pictures of a very pretty model that we have never seen in the flesh......only the person that took the pictures can say whether  the files represent the correct skin towns or not, for all we know she could be anaemic with very pail skin, or someone who has been lying on the beach all day

Neil

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

Nice work and in the end run, I do not see much difference...

Furthermore, since everyone is going to modify their pictures in LR and PS, what difference does the initial result really make? 

😥😋😎

Thank you.

Anything is possible. It does matter how quickly and easily you can achieve your desired result. No one but you can determine that. So was this a waste of time? Perhaps. Not to me, of course. 😎

Edited by mgrayson3