M6 Problem Seeking Advice

glenerrolrd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently I sold a Classic M6 to another LUF member...and it now may have a problem requiring service. Since I want to take care of this promptly ...nothing more frustrating than a new camera that you can not use..I am hoping that someone can help us diagnosis the problem. Shooting color negative film and using Walgreens processing ...film and a CD ..the images have a thin white line the full width(horizontal) of the frame about 20% up from the bottom. I am trying to eliminate the variables by having the purchaser shot a few frames of solid dark color and change the processing to another lab. I want to inspect the neagtive..not the digital image . The camera is in excellent condition but hasn t been used for several years (so I know a CLA may be in order). I need to know what is causing the white line in the images. I am hoping some more experienced M users will have an answer.

If you can rule out poor processing of the film, it sounds as though there may be a hole in one of the shutter curtains. Possibly a burn hole, but it could also be a puncture.

As William suggests, you can check it with a flashlight. I'd do it in a darkened room with the shutter both cocked and uncocked.

Thanks for the information.....I suggested this to the buyer ..I can probably figure this out but how can I best check each curtain seperately.

I'd say that you can check one curtain when you remove the lens and open the back door. If you unleash the shutter and *do not wind* you can check the second curtain.

Is there a black line on the negative? Is it continous over the frame and to the next?

It seem strange that a hole in either of the curtains will only leave a white line on the photo, but not a bright "hot" spot in the area where the hole actually is, because here relatively more time the light will be able to expose the film. Besides, my guess is that if there is a hole in one of the curtains only a part of the photo will be exposed (unless very much near the edges of the beginning/end of the curtain.

I don't know the "Walgreens processing"; but here in the Netherlands most films are scanned and then printed. Any flaw here and you'll get a predictable error (in this case a white line)

One time there was (probably) a grain of sand somewhere around the film and it scrached the whole film and gave a line on the photo's.

Boen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish I had the negatives but I expect another test soon using a different film processor and evaluating the negatives. I don t think its a hole ..when I look at one of my 40 year old M3 s I can see a faint line on the curtain that appears to be aligned with one of the film guides. No light leak but a definite mark on the curtain. I am sure one of the repair guys will have seen this 100 times.

I had something similar happen with my M2 a few years ago, and that turned out to be caused by debris in the film chamber. I took an air bottle and blew out everything (including the pressure plate) in all possible nooks and crannies--especially those at the height of the scratches, and this took care of the problem. Looking at the negatives is essential for this. I had a white line showing up on the prints--which was from a scratch on the back side, not the emulsion side of the negatives.

Thanks to all that contributed. We tried a new roll of film and a new Lab. Problem is gone. Now it very well could have been something with the camera that worked it way out after a few rolls of film..but then again maybe it was the lab equipment .